GDT: Sharks at Sabres 7PM Jan 6, 2022

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

What?  What is wrong with a double space after a period?  

Haha, you're so old.  Some internet sites filter them out, say they're not needed with variable with fonts or some such.

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I just want to watch hockey.  Feels like I lost track of who is on the roster??

From yesterday (someone will need to fill Caggiula's spot):

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Haha, you're so old.  Some internet sites filter them out, say they're not needed with variable with fonts or some such.

63 does not feel old to me, but everyday I fall further behind the pop culture and cool kids.  So be it.   Just stay the hell off of my lawn.  I planted the latest fungus resistant fescue you know   

The internet cancels the double space.  Too funny. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I saw a tweet about people needing to stop the double space after a period. The title of this thread is the extreme opposite. 

I've heard that lately as well.  I've always used double space after period.  You know how much un-training this will take. Sorry un-training.

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

63 does not feel old to me, but everyday I fall further behind the pop culture and cool kids.  So be it.   Just stay the hell off of my lawn.  I planted the latest fungus resistant fescue you know   

The internet cancels the double space.  Too funny.

Facebook does it I'm pretty sure.  Not Sabrespace though.  I'm with you though.... I put two spaces and at this point it would require training that I'm not going to do to make it only one space after a period.  I'm just a bit younger than you by the way (I'll be 60 this year).

30 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

From yesterday (someone will need to fill Caggiula's spot):

You know the more I look at things the more I almost want us to draft more wingers over anything. No wonder our centers can't do much, they don't have much to work with. Pretty sure I wrote this in 2018 as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Facebook does it I'm pretty sure.  Not Sabrespace though.  I'm with you though.... I put two spaces and at this point it would require training that I'm not going to do to make it only one space after a period.  I'm just a bit younger than you by the way (I'll be 60 this year).

Meh, that was going around several years ago (probably 10). I adapted pretty quickly somehow, and I don't even think about it. Interesting that it's coming back around as "new" and "cancel". Who knows, this may be the article I read back then, not sure:

https://slate.com/technology/2011/01/two-spaces-after-a-period-why-you-should-never-ever-do-it.html

TL;DR: it was a product of monospace font typewriters in, mostly in the 1950-1980 period before computers came along. Before and after, typographers (people who lay out printed stuff) used proportional fonts (like nearly all computer fonts are now) and it wasn't needed. The various style guides agree on one space, so that's good enough for me.

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I saw a tweet about people needing to stop the double space after a period. The title of this thread is the extreme opposite. 

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

What?  What is wrong with a double space after a period?  

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

It’s got to be almost ten years ago that @SDS brought this up.

I fought him on it.

I was wrong.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.