Most obscure names in Sabres history

PASabreFan

22 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Paul Cyr

And immediately, I picture a young #18 winding up so far and hard that the blade of his stick is almost touching his skates, attempting a slapshot from 5 feet in front of the net. That, of course, never happened. But it didn't stop us, as kids, from imagining that it did.

Also: He borders on non-obscure.

If I were to go obscure from that era, I'd offer Sean McKenna.

Can anyone recall a sabre from the 80s/90s who would qualify as "remember that guy" obscure, and would have been a bit of a Short King? not nathan gerbe short, but built much like nathan was/is -- like a brick sh1thouse. the name is escaping me.

Wait. I see it above: Gates Orlando.

Whew - what a career that guy had. Half a lifetime spent playing in Europe!

38 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Can anyone recall a sabre from the 80s/90s who would qualify as "remember that guy" obscure, and would have been a bit of a Short King? not nathan gerbe short, but built much like nathan was/is -- like a brick sh1thouse. the name is escaping me.

Wait. I see it above: Gates Orlando.

Whew - what a career that guy had. Half a lifetime spent playing in Europe!

I rooted hard for Gates Orlando, Mal Davis, and Ken Preistlay.  Alas, they weren’t NHLers.

• Like (+1) 2

The 86-87 team was a gold mine.

The “Who?” list: Bob Logan, Dave Fenyves, Doug Trapp, Jim Hofford, Paul Brydges, Richard Hajdu, Orlando, Reekie and Mark Ferner

The “He Played For The Sabres?” list: Mark Napier, Wilf Paiement, Phil Russell, Tom Kurvers, Don Lever Jim Korn, and Clark Gillies

But who can name the forgettably-named second overall pick on that team who played a total of 162 games for the Sabres and put up a very respectable 89 points?

Has to be among the most forgettable Sabres, who probably shouldn’t be.

Edited by dudacek

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

And immediately, I picture a young #18 winding up so far and hard that the blade of his stick is almost touching his skates, attempting a slapshot from 5 feet in front of the net. That, of course, never happened. But it didn't stop us, as kids, from imagining that it did.

Also: He borders on non-obscure.

If I were to go obscure from that era, I'd offer Sean McKenna.

Paul Cyr scored three goals in the third period against Pete Peters to beat the Bruins in Boston 3-2. It was great. 1983ish? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The 86-87 team was a gold mine.

The “Who?” list: Bob Logan, Dave Fenyves, Doug Trapp, Jim Hofford, Paul Brydges, Richard Hajdu, Orlando, Reekie and Mark Ferner

The “He Played For The Sabres?” list: Mark Napier, Wilf Paiement, Phil Russell, Tom Kurvers, Don Lever Jim Korn, and Clark Gillies

But who can name the second overall pick

Doug Smith, innit?

• Thanks (+1) 1

Maybe not obscure, but Scott Arniel.  I remember a Hockey News article (Gawd, I miss THN in its hey day) about Scott Arniel.  The headline was somethign along the lines of "Meet the NHL's most average player".  IIRC he was the average height, weight, age, and at least one or two other categories.  I'm thinking it was number of teams played for and something else.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Maybe not obscure, but Scott Arniel.  I remember a Hockey News article (Gawd, I miss THN in its hey day) about Scott Arniel.  The headline was somethign along the lines of "Meet the NHL's most average player".  IIRC he was the average height, weight, age, and at least one or two other categories.  I'm thinking it was number of teams played for and something else.

I think production was the other one.

Totally remember that article and also lived and died with THN back then.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Paul Cyr scored three goals in the third period against Pete Peters to beat the Bruins in Boston 3-2. It was great. 1983ish? 

He was super fun. I know I’ve asked it here before: Didn’t he tussle with Ray Bourque and win in a split decision?

25 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

He was super fun. I know I’ve asked it here before: Didn’t he tussle with Ray Bourque and win in a split decision?

I seem to recall he was a tough kid.

Too bad the nightlife was too much for him to resist.  He had talent.

Hockeyfights.com lists him fighting Bourque.  No video for it though.  He founght a bunch of bonafide tough guys in his career.  No shrinking violet.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.