Most obscure names in Sabres history

PASabreFan

42 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I once heard Chris Berman cover Sabres highlights and loudly proclaim “The Zhitnik is starting to Smehlik”!  

I believe that stemmed from a sign in the opposing team’s arena that said “Hasek, you Smehlik like Zhitnik” 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Surprisingly few players with only one game, most of all Joel Armia. Did he really only play one game with the Sabres? And I never got to use my "Armia: One" joke when he scored.

• Haha (+1) 4

Not necessarily obscure, but you can't overlook Miroslav Satan as one of the all-time great names in sports.  Doug Bodger in and of itself isn't a crazy name, but I had a buddy in college from Pittsburgh who was a Bodger fan when Bodger was with the Pens.  He said that the font on the Pens' jerseys made the "d" look like an "o" so it looked like "Booger."

Some other good names were Bill Hajt (pronounced "Height") and he was very tall.  Rick Seiling was a guy with a "high ceiling" but never reached it.  Darren Puppa is another good one.

Not a Sabre and not even a hockey player, but one of my all-time favorites is former major league pitcher JJ Putz.

Again, these names are not obscure, but are fun.

Edited by msw2112

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Reed Larson.

Came here to post this one.  Didn’t get here quick enough.

Steve Ludzick sounds like another good obscurity.  If I remember correctly, he was the “other” Sabre to wear a horse collar.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I once heard Chris Berman cover Sabres highlights and loudly proclaim “The Zhitnik is starting to Smehlik”!  

I think the joke reached its completed form with "Mike Peca Smehlik Zhitink!"

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

Mark Astley, never gonna give you up.

I think the best joke I ever made was -- in real time, at a game with old friends, with no pre-planning -- bursting out into "Never gonna clear the puck, never gonna leave the zone" in the midst of some defensive futility on his part. I mean, my friends and everyone in ear shot burst into laughter. This was also before "Rick Roll" existed.

• Haha (+1) 4

I am partial to Keith Gretzky, even though he never played for the big club.

Greg Brown is another good one. I was convinced that the Hobey Baker finalist was gonna light sh1t up for the Sabres. Not so much, turns out. And TIL: He's created a good coaching career for himself.

Final honourable mention goes to Norm Lacombe. Great name. He was a bit of a bust, I believe.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.