Most annoying TV ads…

LabattBlue

9 hours ago, spndnchz said:

2 kids and 4 hips later….

At my age, you learn to expect that.  Just compare the original cast from _Star Trek_ from the series through The Motionless Picture to The Undiscovered Country.

That's why I look for the personal and career information.  These actors and actresses are people.  They have more going on than what we see on TV and in the movies.  For instance, George Takei actually took up fencing in real life after learning it for "The Naked Time."  Leonard Nimoy made part of his life's mission to debunk Holocaust deniers.  Grace Lee Whitney took a few years to recover after she was dropped from _Star Trek_; her recovery story is flat out inspiring.

On 12/31/2021 at 10:07 AM, LabattBlue said:

I couldn’t figure out if she was walking like an idiot on purpose, and was wondering if there was a joke I was missing.  😂

That's what I don't get, too. Why is the walking happening? The commercial itself is innocuous. But it's the gait!

On 1/1/2022 at 10:49 AM, LabattBlue said:

Local ad, but very puzzling. Russ Salvatore runs an upscale restaurant, but has the most idiotic spots that don’t go hand in hand with Russell’s at all. 

Disclaimer: I know nothing of Buffalo restaurants and whatnot; I've been to Salvatore's once or twice a couple decades ago

My guess are the ads are aimed at getting middle-class-, middle-age+ men to remember that the place exists for when it's "time to get gussied up and go somewhere fancy", so they're probably doing their job. I'd guess that people in Buffalo that *frequent* upscale restaurants know all the options and their pros and cons already.

On the topic of Salvatore's (the original one), it always struck me as what a poor or middle-class person's idea of what a fancy restaurant looks like. Maybe my time being a coastal elite (lol) has made me jaded, but the few really upscale places I've been to were very understated in comparison.

• Like (+1) 2

Picture1.gif.e8dbcae6481ce3f2a5715c1219bb24c2.gif

On the topic of Salvatore's (the original one), it always struck me as what a poor or middle-class person's idea of what a fancy restaurant looks like. Maybe my time being a coastal elite (lol) has made me jaded, but the few really upscale places I've been to were very understated in comparison.

Edited by Indabuff
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/31/2021 at 2:34 AM, Hawerchuk said:

Insurance ads number 1 for sure. Followed by prescription drugs. "Don't take this medication if you have high blood pressure, liver problems, or you suffer from kidney stones and love to eat at Long John Silvers!"

On 12/30/2021 at 11:24 PM, pastajoe said:

All the insurance ads are annoying; Liberty, Progressive, State Farm, Farmers.

The Verizon ads with Kate McKinnon. And the ads where people get cars for Christmas gifts. Who does that?

Limu Emu & Doug.

On 1/3/2022 at 1:23 PM, MattPie said:

I could be wrong because I've never eaten there, but I think some for restaurants the kitsch factor is part of the experience. The message is that they serve for good old timey food. I think there's quite a few steakhouses that adhere to this principle.