GDT- Devils at Sabres, 12/29/2021, 7 pm ET, MSG, WGR

Doohickie

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd remind everyone that 50% of the defenders won't be here in April. 

We're watching an incomplete team with flaws. They aren't talented enough to be consistently good and we're at least another full season away. Sucks but that's reality. 

Dahlin looks better. The only gripe is that Hughes goal you'd like him to tie up the stick but unlike earlier in the year, he was at least in position. His defensive play has improved and hopefully he keeps working on it. Baby steps. 

Your assessment that the Sabrbes are at least another full season away is a fair judgment. What's apparent is that this roster is going to have close to 40-50% turnover by next season from the roster that started this season. What's encouraging is that the players who will moved up will be players who are already in the system and are ready to make the step up. That is not to say that they will be close to being finished products when moved up. There is still much development to take place. But putting things in perspective the rate of turnover and transition to a more balanced roster is faster than most of us could have expected. And if our goalie play is stabilized the process will be less painful. Put me in the guarded optimism camp.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Why so much confusion about Dahlin's icing?

Didn't help that Dan did not say what it was, it almost felt like he didn't want to admit that Dahlin would make such a dumb mistake. I had to deduce what happened. Granted, Rob may have said something but after a few seconds I tuned out trying to figure it out on my own 

15 hours ago, Taro T said:

Was over 6k in the building IMHO.  Not sure if this one or the Roswell ticket splurge for HFC night had the bigger crowd.  But both were huge by this season's standard.

Q for @Brawndo:  was it an NHL thing to have a buffer of blanked off seats around the team's doctor's usual seats, a Sabres thing, or on Erie County/ NYS?  Had not noticed it any of the earlier games this season.  Thought w/ your background you might know who drove that decision.  (Just curious, not a big deal either way.)

That’s a new one for me. I’ll ask the ED Docs I know next time I’m at Buffalo General 

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Yeah at some point.  At the moment I'd rather let the pandemic settle down a bit more. 

I understand.  My wife and I have a lot of fam there. I go a lot.  The city is better now than maybe ever. Especially in the summer on the waterfront - and I am so happy to be saying that.  

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I understand.  My wife and I have a lot of fam there. I go a lot.  The city is better now than maybe ever. Especially in the summer on the waterfront - and I am so happy to be saying that.  

Since my wife is a teacher we generally only get up there in the summer; we've seen the waterfront.  I haven't been up in Buffalo for football/hockey season in a long, long time.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Why so much confusion about Dahlin's icing?

1. Refs never made any signal for icing

2. Refs will typically let it go in that situation since Dahlin is skating inside the logo and it’s in the last minute of the game.

2b. Even more so due to the type of shoot in; it was a hard shot versus a bloop. More often than not a player will get that waived as good 

3. Refs and Linemen seemed lax most the game on everything 

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

Your assessment that the Sabrbes are at least another full season away is a fair judgment. What's apparent is that this roster is going to have close to 40-50% turnover by next season from the roster that started this season. What's encouraging is that the players who will moved up will be players who are already in the system and are ready to make the step up. That is not to say that they will be close to being finished products when moved up. There is still much development to take place. But putting things in perspective the rate of turnover and transition to a more balanced roster is faster than most of us could have expected. And if our goalie play is stabilized the process will be less painful. Put me in the guarded optimism camp.

What do you think, playoffs next season? Or not till 2024?

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

1. Refs never made any signal for icing

2. Refs will typically let it go in that situation since Dahlin is skating inside the logo and it’s in the last minute of the game.

2b. Even more so due to the type of shoot in; it was a hard shot versus a bloop. More often than not a player will get that waived as good 

3. Refs and Linemen seemed lax most the game on everything 

That play has never been let go in the history of hockey.

18 hours ago, Taro T said:

Was over 6k in the building IMHO.  Not sure if this one or the Roswell ticket splurge for HFC night had the bigger crowd.  But both were huge by this season's standard.

Q for @Brawndo:  was it an NHL thing to have a buffer of blanked off seats around the team's doctor's usual seats, a Sabres thing, or on Erie County/ NYS?  Had not noticed it any of the earlier games this season.  Thought w/ your background you might know who drove that decision.  (Just curious, not a big deal either way.)

Not sure about that one 

Just now, Brawndo said:

Not sure about that one 

The 2 seats in the 4th row & the 4 seats in the 5th row next to the tunnel back to the dressing room were completely surrounded by seats with black cloth over them.  Looked like 3 seats on the other side of the tunnel were blocked off too for no apparent reason.  Didn't see any others blocked off anywhere.  

The cloth looked to be the same they used to go with to cover for Larry Quinn's oopsing the ADA requirements for "equivalent seating" options for handicapped seating they used to use. 

56 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What do you think, playoffs next season? Or not till 2024?

it’s time to try for next season. Just don’t sell the farm trying.  Stay the course but yes, make a move to elevate this team and challenge. 

You won’t win until you try to win, and then you have to learn how to how.  McDermott called it earning the right to win.  That needs to start soon because it won’t happen witn a flip of a switch.  It’s a mindset, an expectation, and it’s work.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.