OT - Richard Marcinko, founder of SEAL Team 6, has died

FogBat

12 minutes ago, FogBat said:

Sorry about that. I honestly didn’t think that it would rub others the wrong way.

It didn’t rub me the wrong way. I was just making a comment. Others may read the headline and assume it was some sad story. 

48 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Is there another factual article void of opinion? 
Not to mention The NY Times Is horrific most of the time these days.

Sure Jan. 

42 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

You think?  I thought it was an honest attempt to portray the essence of the guy.

I don’t know what you’re getting at here. 

I’m a subscriber, I read it, and it certainly seems like an honest attempt to give a fair overview of this person. The overview wasn’t flattering and I’m not sure why he was highlighted here. 🤷🏻

I first read his books like Red Cell and Task Force Blue.  I was highly captivated at the daring, courageous, and to-hell-with-the-rules attitude he displayed in order to get the right things done.  I couldn't read his books fast enough.

I then read his autobiography Rogue Warrior and was hugely disappointed.  As a real commander, he was a straight arrow, no nonsense boss who didn't allow dissent or alternative thought.  He kicked people off the Seal Team for questioning a policy.  A policy!  Not even a direct order.  He portrayed himself in his fictional books as someone who questioned everything.

Either he was the antithesis of his book character, or he thought he was the only one allowed to disregard orders.  Either way, he was highly disappointing as a person after the buildup of reading his books.

11 hours ago, SDS said:

The overview wasn’t flattering and I’m not sure why he was highlighted here. 🤷🏻

Why do you even mention that?  I guess I don't understand why you keep using that "less than flattering" phrase.   He was who he was.  Why do you think an obit needs to be flattering?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 11:31 PM, SDS said:

Sure Jan. 

I don’t know what you’re getting at here. 

I’m a subscriber, I read it, and it certainly seems like an honest attempt to give a fair overview of this person. The overview wasn’t flattering and I’m not sure why he was highlighted here. 🤷🏻

I’ve had a lot of respect for the work he did in special warfare and counterterrorism. Granted, I certainly wouldn’t want to emulate a lot of his extracurricular activities and bravado that shall not be named due to women and children who might see this forum, but most of us wouldn’t have the guts to do what he did in his service for America.

I hope that explains why I’m sad to see him go.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.