Sabres' games against CBJ (20th, 23rd) and COL (22nd) POSTPONED, next game Mon 27th, NYI @ Sabres

LGR4GM

• LGR4GM changed the title to Sabres' games against CBJ and COL POSTPONED, next game Mon 27th, NYI @ Sabres
  • LGR4GM changed the title to Sabres' games against CBJ (20th, 23rd) and COL (22nd) POSTPONED, next game Mon 27th, NYI @ Sabres
11 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I don't see many "holes" in the schedules where these games can be made up without removing Olympic participation.

There is no way NHL players are going to the Olympics.  It’s a logistical nightmare.  Players could miss up to a month of NHL games if they test positive. How is the league gonna sign off in that. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

There is no way NHL players are going to the Olympics.  It’s a logistical nightmare.  Players could miss up to a month of NHL games if they test positive. How is the league gonna sign off in that. 

Yeah I agree.

What do you think has more weight for a players career? Win the Stanley Cup or Olympic Gold? I'd pick The Cup every time. Sure, playing for your country is of high importance, but you gotta think Lord Stanley is number one above all else.

1 hour ago, Hawerchuk said:

What do you think has more weight for a players career? Win the Stanley Cup or Olympic Gold? I'd pick The Cup every time. Sure, playing for your country is of high importance, but you gotta think Lord Stanley is number one above all else.

Probably depend on the player. North American players probably value the Stanley Cup for the most part. Everywhere else, most players probably had NHL players or teams they liked, but their real passion is their national league, and country. The FIFA World Cup outshines any of the national leagues there, I don't see a difference for hockey.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

Better than half the team getting some form of Covid and not being able to play the whole rest of the year. 

NHLPA has a big voice in this and I think they’re doing a great job.

Yep.

Selfishly, I'm still bummed; I wanted to watch some hockey this week.

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Wondering if these multi-game postponements may end up increasing the likelihood the NHL will not be participating in the Olympics.  

At this point cynically wondering if the guys that would likely be going to the Olympics are realizing just how big of a deal a 5 week quarantine in Beijing truly is and just how possible/likely that would be and whether the PA might be pushing behind the scenes for this measure to have a "face saving" excuse to skip the Olympics.

Can't see any way at this point for the league to participate in the Olympics unless the unplayed games end up canceled rather than postponed.

• Like (+1) 1

Let us think about this.  There are 3 weeks cleared in February.  The normal maximum number of games played is 1 game every 2 days.  So there could be up to 10 games made up during that time for each team.

Since playoff times are not made yet, they could tack on a week or two at the end of the year, which puts about 7 more there if need be.  So they could still make the schedule without too much work if the Olympics were ditched and the season were extended a week or two.

This is why it was so stupid to not make this season conference only just to cut down on scheduling trouble if there were cancellations like this.  There would have been less travel, so players would be less tired, and therefore more likely to fight off a very mild exposure.  Scheduling would be less complex in case of outbreaks.  The less cross-continent travel would limit transmission rates.  Even better -- they could have scheduled in blocks by grouping teams in groups of 3-5 which would play each other in groups so that an outbreak in one group would not spread to the rest of the conference.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think we can put a fork in the Olympics.  China will win their first gold medals in hockey unopposed. 

You don't think the other leagues might let their players go or that some NHLers might take their chances?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.