GDT - Sabres @ Penguins - December 17, 2021 - 7:00 PM (EDT) - MSG-B / SN and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

Three excellent games in a row.  All on the road.  All against playoff, or close, teams.

If you go back a bit further they played okay against the Ducks, better against the Rangers and well against the Caps.  All loses.  The Caps game went to OT.

Seems like they started to turn it around after the Panther and Hurricane debackles.

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Three excellent games in a row.  All on the road.  All against playoff, or close, teams.

If you go back a bit further they played okay against the Ducks, better against the Rangers and well against the Caps.  All loses.  The Caps game went to OT.

Seems like they started to turn it around after the Panther and Hurricane debackles.

The good news is that unlike the past few years with hot starts; we've actually started a legitimately good set of games after the original "hot start"

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Late here as I recorded this one, and it doesn't matter to me that we lost. Would have been nice to win of course but what really matters to me here is that once again we looked like a real hockey team. This may seem like a meaningless sentence, but it's not. We haven't resembled one in years. We actually pushed back and answered the bell. Amazing!

Fitzgerald? Wow. Didn't see that coming. Guy is already better than Hagg and Butcher and deserves a longer look. Pity he couldn't win the game with a storybook Gordie Howe hat trick but heck of a debut. Sure he lost the fight, but he stepped up. 

WE PLAYED LIKE A TEAM. 

I am very surprised and very encouraged. Lots left to fix, but the lines look more balanced as a team and there's continuity, and players are developing and using their skills, so many positives. 

Hayden's best game as a Sabre, probably not noticed by many, but he was effective in his role. 

Dahlin showing confidence and seems calmer. Have to see if it holds up to the tight checking physical teams but still, big positives for the moment. 

Two things I hated in this game. The refs, who I think are Crosby fans, and listening to the Pittsburgh announcers rave about E-Rod. Dude has 10 goals wtf? I guess you can put anybody on Crosby's wing and they will have career years. (probably not Taylor Hall, but anybody else ) 

I didn’t think Fitzgerald lost.  At worst it was a draw. 

• Like (+1) 4

40 minutes ago, inkman said:

Pleasant change of pace, innit?

He makes my team.  At least for now.  Played with passion?  Check.  Was effective? Check.  Put the other team on notice that there will be reprisals. Check.  As far as I am concerned, he's got a spot for now.  He'll have to play his way off the team before I sit him.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 4

47 minutes ago, Weave said:

He makes my team.  At least for now.  Played with passion?  Check.  Was effective? Check.  Put the other team on notice that there will be reprisals. Check.  As far as I am concerned, he's got a spot for now.  He'll have to play his way off the team before I sit him.

Immense upgrade from Butcher. 

• Like (+1) 2

As others have pointed out over the past half dozen games against high quality opponents (actually better teams) the Sabres have looked qualitatively better. The sensation that is being repeated by the observers is that: They look like a real NHL team. That's what the eye-test indicates. The dramatic change clearly revolves around the elevated play of the goaltenders. And because of that it seems that it has influenced the play of the rest of the players on the ice who are determined to play a more defensive style of game. The players are noticeably playing a tighter brand of hockey with less loss of coverage, especially around the net. This is more akin to playoff hockey than regular season hockey. 

I was really proud of how the Sabres played in Winnipeg. This game made me even more proud because of the added challenges of having to play a back to back and travel game against a well rested team that is on a hot streak. It was obvious to me that the Penguins were the rested team with the fresh legs. But the Sabres continued to grind even when they were behind. That showed a lot of character and tough-mindedness. 

As others noted I was impressed with the play of Fitzgerald. He played tough, smart and within himself. He played as if he belonged. And if the goalie play continues to be stellar and that position gets secured for us the rebuilding process will be accelerated with players in the pipeline not far off from moving up. I don't want to get carried away but it's so refreshing to have positive thoughts about this team instead of the negative thoughts that have been around for so long. 

• Like (+1) 5

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Late here as I recorded this one, and it doesn't matter to me that we lost. Would have been nice to win of course but what really matters to me here is that once again we looked like a real hockey team. This may seem like a meaningless sentence, but it's not. We haven't resembled one in years. We actually pushed back and answered the bell. Amazing!

Fitzgerald? Wow. Didn't see that coming. Guy is already better than Hagg and Butcher and deserves a longer look. Pity he couldn't win the game with a storybook Gordie Howe hat trick but heck of a debut. Sure he lost the fight, but he stepped up. 

WE PLAYED LIKE A TEAM. 

I am very surprised and very encouraged. Lots left to fix, but the lines look more balanced as a team and there's continuity, and players are developing and using their skills, so many positives. 

Hayden's best game as a Sabre, probably not noticed by many, but he was effective in his role. 

Dahlin showing confidence and seems calmer. Have to see if it holds up to the tight checking physical teams but still, big positives for the moment. 

Two things I hated in this game. The refs, who I think are Crosby fans, and listening to the Pittsburgh announcers rave about E-Rod. Dude has 10 goals wtf? I guess you can put anybody on Crosby's wing and they will have career years. (probably not Taylor Hall, but anybody else ) 

That being said about the Pitt announcers. They were very generous in their praise for Don Granato and the job he has done with the Sabres. I found them complimentary of Malcolm Subban's performance and the Sabres new style of play. Other teams announcers have just basically laughed off this hockey club on the broadcasts I have watched. The Pitt broadcast team was very cordial in my opinion. E-Rod (whom I hated as a Sabre) has actually developed into a very decent player working with Sid and they praised him because he set a personal record with his 10th of the season. Absolutely playing with Sid helps. Remember Warren Young when he played with Mario? Then he leaves Pitt, signs a big contract with Detroit and disappears. Sid helps, but E-Rod is benefitting when he gets his chances.

8 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

Strongly disagree. Redirection from point blank.

Just watched it again. I stand by my statement. It wasn’t a hard shot that got redirected. It was a pass. I thought he reacted late and didn’t get over in time. Also, Joker can’t let that go through his legs. It was a team loss.

Eakin gambled and lost on the draw. 

Carter won it and immediately attacked.

Okposo was not prepared for losing the draw and failed to cover Carter.

Letang immediately attacked and threaded a beautiful pass across.

Jokiharju failed to block it.

Carter perfectly timed his redirect.

Subban failed to stop it.

Like most goals (and scoring chances), plenty of blame and credit to go around.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, inkman said:

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

WE PLAYED LIKE A TEAM. 

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Hockeyfights.com has Casey with the W.

https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n263595

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.