2021: A year-end retrospective for the Sabres

Doohickie

As this year ends, think of all the stench that is lifting:

1. Eichel is traded, the return isn't a direct Eichel replacement, but it's not bad.  Tuch should be a big addition to both the dressing room and the score sheet.
  2. In general the Rotten Core v2 has been dispatched.  The only piece arguably left is an untradeable Skinner, and he's playing much better and is a good chunk of why the Tage line is successful.
  3. Look at all the players that have taken a step forward (and continue to do so) under Granato's tutelage.
  4. Most of the JAGs that have been brought in are serviceable players who contribute.  Gone are the days of Sabotka, Irwin, et al.
  5. Too early to say, but out of the ashes of the Sabres crease, UPL may finally be providing some stability.
  6. Although the Sabres just had a losing streak that lasted longer than it should have, players, and the team in general, has continued to develop.
  7. Despite occasional steps back, the young core of the team has done well in pressure situations.  They haven't always succeeded, but they continue to learn and grow.
  8. Okposo continues to up his game, something that was unthinkable 3, 4 years ago.
  9. The prospect pool is fine.
  10. While the jury is still out on KA, he hasn't been a total embarrassment.  He showed a lot of composure and maturity in the Eichel trade.

Barring some unforeseen miracle, this is not a playoff team, but the light at the end of the tunnel is not speeding train.  There are valid problems with this team that need to be solved, but I think the growth is there, it's sustainable, and there is more talent in the system.

• Like (+1) 8

“The sun is up, the sky is blue, it’s beautiful, and so are you ….” 

Good idea for thread. 

While I don’t  miss Jack either, his talent was undeniable, but we wrote the book on how not to rebuild under Jack’s tenure.

When I see Tuch and Krebs in the lineup contributing I will feel better about it. 

For the rest of the season, UPL is the key to improvement in the W-L column.   We have many L’s that could have been W’s with better goaltending.   

I would like to see a healthy Tuch and a healthy Mitts soon 
I would like to see one scary tough sob that can also play hockey on this  roster.  
I can live with the kids staying in a Rochester for as long as possible.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

“The sun is up, the sky is blue, it’s beautiful, and so are you ….” 

Good idea for thread. 

While I don’t  miss Jack either, his talent was undeniable, but we wrote the book on who not to rebuild under Jack’s tenure.

When I see Tuch and Krebs in the lineup contributing I will feel better about it. 

For the rest of the season, UPL is the key to improvement in the W-L column.   We have many L that could have been W’s with better goaltending.   

I would like to see a healthy Tuch and a healthy Mitts soon 
I would like to see one scary tough sob that can also play hockey on this  roster.  
I can live with the kids staying in a Rochester for as long as possible.  

Does anyone know what the nature of Mitts's injury is? Is it the wrist, forearm, abdominal or whatever? This state secret mentality toward longer termed injuries is stupid. 

• Like (+1) 1

+++++

Excellent thread, Ghost.

I agree with all of it and will just add that the Sabres could not have asked for better veteran leadership, especially with Girgs and Kyle.  That was a question mark when they were named captains.  Other young players are taking up leadership roles too.

Also, KA is fine and will not be going anywhere, except maybe into a President of Hockey Operations role.

Much love,

Ghost

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

+++++

Excellent thread, Ghost.

I agree with all of it and will just add that the Sabres could not have asked for better veteran leadership, especially with Girgs and Kyle.  That was a question mark when they were named captains.  Other young players are taking up leadership roles too.

Also, KA is fine and will not be going anywhere, except maybe into a President of Hockey Operations role.

Much love,

Ghost

Thanks, Ghost.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.