Do the Sabres actually need more RHD or does it not matter?

LGR4GM

19 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Jan Rutta is the perfect type of RD this team needs to play either with Power or Dahlin.   Has played with Hedman the last few years, and is a UFA after this year. Tampa won't be able to keep him.

Does he hurt people?  That’s my criteria to play with our group of 17 puck moving D.  Please ice someone that knows what a body check is. 

27 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Jan Rutta is the perfect type of RD this team needs to play either with Power or Dahlin.   Has played with Hedman the last few years, and is a UFA after this year. Tampa won't be able to keep him.

Every season Tampa finds a way.

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Big no.

I think they really have their minds set on Dahlin-Jokiharju which I'm not crazy about but I think they like it. 

If so Power and ? Pysyk? idk. 

I personally don't see Bryson in the long term future but you never know. He has to get better, more consistent and stop turning the puck over in his own end. 

Definitely like to see a decent solid veteran in the mix so that it's not all rookies.

Oh, and the RHD LHD has always been overemphasized imo. It's ideal, but it's not essential. 

Well Power-Miller might not be bad.   Veteran D for the rookie player.

Edited by Huckleberry

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Big no.

I think they really have their minds set on Dahlin-Jokiharju which I'm not crazy about but I think they like it

If so Power and ? Pysyk? idk. 

I personally don't see Bryson in the long term future but you never know. He has to get better, more consistent and stop turning the puck over in his own end. 

Definitely like to see a decent solid veteran in the mix so that it's not all rookies.

Oh, and the RHD LHD has always been overemphasized imo. It's ideal, but it's not essential. 

To the bolded.

I'm sure KA and JK see what we are seeing. It's not the future to them either and this is a learning experience for both players this year. So what are they trying to teach them now (when the score and wins don't matter) that they see is a future necessity?

Down a goal late in the third in the spring of 2023 and we need that tying goal get give us a playoff birth. Who are your 2 *niffty-est* d-men that give you a great chance to get it? That's what I think we are seeing. It's that, or they figure they will be the only 2 still playing here in the spring of 2023 and want them to spend quality time together.

23 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

We have a lot of LHD. In fact by next year we will probably have 5 NHL lhd to think about depending on what Ryan Johnson looks like in camp. This does not include the idea of Novikov one day coming to bolster a 3rd pair as a shutdown defender. Rasmus Dahlin, Owen Power, Jacob Bryson, Mattias Samuelsson, and Ryan Johnson are the 5 I think are reasonable to project to the NHL level. 

Now the question then becomes do we have to target a RHD in this draft because that side has major questions. Well, if you read this article the answer is not necessarily depending on how good our LHD are and how bad the RHD replacement would be. 

So for fun we could have or some variation thereof. 

Power - Joker

Dahlin - Johnson

Bryson - Samuelsson

Handedness aside, this group is very young to start next season.  Three rookies in that lineup and just not enough physicality for next year. 

Johnson can use a year in the AHL.  Bryson moves down to 7 maybe. 

Power as a rookie on the first pair?  - maybe not so fast.  

Bring in at least one solid veteran, preferably two (maybe one of Psysk or Hagg stays) ? 

Find a great match solid vet for Dahlin and make that the first pair. If that does not work then pair Dahlin and Joker at 1 and put the Vet with Power.  

The future looks bright but mistakes have been made in the past by going too young.  The NHL can eat young defensemen. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

To keep their secondary guys?

What happened to JT Miller, Yanni Gourde, Blake Coleman, Barclay Goodrow, Kevin Shattenkirk and Tyler Johnson?

The went on to form the Traveling Former Lightning All Star Band.  

Miller - guitar and vocals 

Gourde - Keyboards 

Coleman and Johnson - horn section 

Goodrow - bass

Shatty - drums 

• Haha (+1) 1

Let’s just go 6 LHD.  Friedman says Coyotes are gauging interest in Chychurun. The family is friends with the Pegulas.😀

He is a hell of dman though and I wonder if their would be interest even with Power and Dahlin.

Hypothetically what would you be willing to part with to get him? 23, big, plays with an edge, scores from the backend. Age would fit with core. You would have to make other changes to the backend but he would be a high end piece to add.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Let’s just go 6 LHD.  Friedman says Coyotes are gauging interest in Chychurun. The family is friends with the Pegulas.😀

He is a hell of dman though and I wonder if their would be interest even with Power and Dahlin.

Hypothetically what would you be willing to part with to get him? 23, big, plays with an edge, scores from the backend. Age would fit with core. You would have to make other changes to the backend but he would be a high end piece to add.

If he was RHD? 1st round 2022 (Vegas or Florida), Johnson and Pekar or similar type prospect.  
but he isn’t a RHD so I’m staying away 

11 hours ago, woods-racer said:

To the bolded.

I'm sure KA and JK see what we are seeing. It's not the future to them either and this is a learning experience for both players this year. So what are they trying to teach them now (when the score and wins don't matter) that they see is a future necessity?

Down a goal late in the third in the spring of 2023 and we need that tying goal get give us a playoff birth. Who are your 2 *niffty-est* d-men that give you a great chance to get it? That's what I think we are seeing. It's that, or they figure they will be the only 2 still playing here in the spring of 2023 and want them to spend quality time together.

I think the last sentence is likely true but I also think they still feel Dahlin will become Hedman (or thereabouts) and he might. I don't think so, but it's not impossible. With good coaching he could still be what we wanted when we drafted him. 

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I would give Florida's first and our second 2nd for Chychrun. I'll say it again, I think by Thanksgiving our top pair is Porew-Dahlin. With Chychrun-Mule on the second pair that could possibly be the best top four come 23/24. I think anyone hoping for more than a one year placeholder next year will be disappointed. I don't think KA supplements the roster with quality vets until the new core moves past developing and is ready to compete. I think that's in 23. 

5 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I’d go after him with Johnson, Florida’s 1st, Philly’s 2nd and our 2nd this year

He’s the wrong handiness but he has everything else you need in a Dman. Dahlin can just shift over if need be.

Chychrun - Dahlin

Power - Vet(Letang)

Samuelsson - Jokiharju

Pysyk/Bryson

Even my desire to sign Letang would work still. That would be a potentially very stacked D group lol.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I’d go after him with Johnson, Florida’s 1st, Philly’s 2nd and our 2nd this year

He’s the wrong handiness but he has everything else you need in a Dman. Dahlin can just shift over if need be.

Chychrun - Dahlin

Power - Vet(Letang)

Samuelsson - Jokiharju

Pysyk/Bryson

Even my desire to sign Letang would work still. That would be a potentially very stacked D group lol.

And you can put Pysyk as 4RW when needed too 😛

• 2 weeks later...

Given the Canada and Russia all LHD discussion, the adding Chychrun as a lefty ideas...  So where does the righty come from?

The team has pipeline of defense and that's good. Finally it's happening. I want a playoff-grizzled, checker/shotblocker Warrener type to be a guide for one the kids as a UFA/trade-for-a-2nd type guy. But also -- let's look inside:

From a talent side, Dahlin has the hands and skill to play on the right boards. We see him do it on the PP -- corral the clearing attempt or pass, step back to the center of the ice on his forehand and shoot. And he did it as a kid in the SHL. He can move to the right. That's probably the easiest move.

Now, if Dahlin is going to stay on the lef -- If I'm Matty the Muel Samuelsson, I'm clamoring to try my hand on the right side. Before I get to UFA I get 3-5 seasons of playing with Dahlin or Power as their steady rough-and-tumble rock, get plenty of ice time and secondary assists, open shooting lanes because the defense respects them more than me... and 20+ minutes a night. If I'm stuck behind both of them I get maybe 16 minutes of ice per night and most of that on the PK. My ticket to big money is having the "LD/RD" listed next to my name on the roster and skating with one of the franchise guys.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.