START ACTING LIKE A WINNING, NHL FRANCHISE!!!!!

PASabreFan

12 minutes ago, SDS said:

So Terry and Kim Pegula, standing in front of a microphone, saying more colossally stupid things than usual, is going to prevent someone from making the wrong call in the future?

What they would be saying wouldn’t be stupid at all. When incompetent people do incompetent things they should be called out. That’s how change happens. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Ah the ‘90s.

That hit was so ridiculously late. And the announcers don’t even notice.

Oh come on, why you got to be negative on a Buffalo legend?

Rules were enforced differently back then. In those days that was not late at all. Hence, the announcers didn't comment on it. 

I had a Caps feed for the game tonight and they were laughing to each other about the Sabres low hit total from the Rangers game. So make of that what you will. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, calti said:

I want tougher players..

A lot of the younger posters here don't believe in this, but I'm with you. Ideally I'd like some Pecas or Mays, talent with toughness, but even some scrappy Briere types as a start, or just some toughness to protect the so called talent we have coming. 

It's been a really really long time since this team wasn't among the softest in the league, and right now I'd guess we are just about #1 on the softness spectrum. Maybe Vancouver. Toronto and Edmonton are still soft overall, but they have a few guys on each roster that make them tougher than us. 

The stench of Lucic on Miller has never left this team. 

• Like (+1) 5

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

A lot of the younger posters here don't believe in this, but I'm with you. Ideally I'd like some Pecas or Mays, talent with toughness, but even some scrappy Briere types as a start, or just some toughness to protect the so called talent we have coming. 

It's been a really really long time since this team wasn't among the softest in the league, and right now I'd guess we are just about #1 on the softness spectrum. Maybe Vancouver. Toronto and Edmonton are still soft overall, but they have a few guys on each roster that make them tougher than us. 

The Lucic incident ....the low point in the 50+ yrs of this franchise.

PS--letting Briere get away as well as Drury was the 2nd lowest point.

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Honestly - I don’t talk a lot about toughness, but you may be surprised to hear it’s not because I don’t think it’s important. It’s because in my mind it represents “a bridge too far” in terms of Sabres stuff I worry about right now. When does the type of grit you are referring to become paramount? The time of year, every year, when the game the NHL plays literally changes into something significantly different to its regular season form (unlike the other major sports): playoff time. 

As things stand, I actually do think the team/players will be in for a wake up call if they eventually get there. Being an NHL GM has an extra, severe degree of difficulty attached to it in that you really have to build a team with the ability to play in two distinct “leagues”, should you have playoff aspirations. 

For me, I’m just counting on getting there. Have been for a while. Can’t even bring myself to worrying about that next stage yet 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

Honestly - I don’t talk a lot about toughness, but you may be surprised to hear it’s not because I don’t think it’s important. It’s because in my mind it represents “a bridge too far” in terms of Sabres stuff I worry about right now. When does the type of grit you are referring to become paramount? The time of year, every year, when the game the NHL plays literally changes into something significantly different to its regular season form (unlike the other major sports): playoff time. 

As things stand, I actually do think the team/players will be in for a wake up call if they eventually get there. Being an NHL GM has an extra, severe degree of difficulty attached to it in that you really have to build a team with the ability to play in two distinct “leagues”, should you have playoff aspirations. 

For me, I’m just counting on getting there. Have been for a while. Can’t even bring myself to worrying about that next stage yet 

I don't disagree with you entirely, but I think it's easier to add toughness and it's important to have it as part of the culture so that the young players coming in feel both protected, and also learn to play tougher themselves. When a talented guy knows someone on that roster has his back he's more inclined to get into the thick of it or drive the net, he becomes more fearless and thus better. 

I don't mind Cozens having a fight, but I'd rather he didn't have to because someone e4lse has his back, and by extension other teams take less liberties.

We're not good enough yet, not enough of a threat, for other teams to play us tough, but if we get more talented with these kids next year they are going to get banged around and roughed up as intimidation might not be 70s hockey, or even 90s hockey, but it still exists and teams will use it if they see a weakness, and some of those kids might get intimidated or hurt. 

Toughness is easier to find, so why haven't we put that on the roster first, instead of some of the useless jags we've added? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/11/2021 at 11:12 AM, Radar said:

These owners became invisible as soon as there was any media criticism. They started out much more visible it seems when fans were excited after purchasing the franchises. They are clueless owners whose only hope is catching lightning in a bottle.

They are up front and and center at Bills games. Kim wears Bills colors and smiles a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/11/2021 at 3:38 PM, calti said:

Also....and lets all admit it...

The beginning of the answer to the franchise's problems is living in Rochester NY.

Yes Mike Peca--the baddest 180LB man in league history. Lets use him .

The man is tougher than Bobby Clarke and a winner.

Let’s leave Michael right were he is at.  He is learning.  Yes, a Very good coaching prospect, and has a ways to go.  

Buffalo fans (Bills and Sabres) don’t understand that coaches and GMs learn, improve, and evolve. When you hire young ones you have to make a commitment.  

I am reading that many people on TBD want to see McDermott fired.  Talk about not getting it. 

Edited by Pimlach

On 12/13/2021 at 4:24 PM, Pimlach said:

Let’s leave Michael right were he is at.  He is learning.  Yes, a Very good coaching prospect, and has a ways to go.  

Buffalo fans (Bills and Sabres) don’t understand that coaches and GMs learn, improve, and evolve. When you hire young ones you have to make a commitment.  

I am reading that many people on TBD want to see McDermott fired.  Talk about not getting it. 

I agree with you.

On 12/13/2021 at 7:24 PM, sabresparaavida said:

That’s a great way to give the team some confidence 

Obviously, the positive results didn’t happen overnight back then. Kay Stephenson had such a short tenure, and Hank Bullough was HATED by his own players - to the point where they called him “brain cell” (per Fred Smerlas).

Just saying.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.