Forbes Rankings for NHL Franchises is Out

Brawndo

18 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Not a bad return so far. $189 mil to $500 in 10 years. Time to sell?

These kind of numbers are why I'm against any kind of public money funding any of the new stadiums. Do they have similar numbers for the Bills?

The team has grown 300+ million in span of time when they haven't make the ***** playoffs , in a league where 50% of the teams qualify. 

16 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

These kind of numbers are why I'm against any kind of public money funding any of the new stadiums. Do they have similar numbers for the Bills?

The team has grown 300+ million in span of time when they haven't make the ***** playoffs , in a league where 50% of the teams qualify. 

Yeah and the new stadium and improvements on Key Bank will only increase the value. 

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Not to pick nits, but more than 50% of the teams make it (until this year.)

3 hours ago, Norcal said:

Not a bad return so far. $189 mil to $500 in 10 years. Time to sell?

Sabres are worth over a billion in GTA or Quebec City, $800-900 mil in Houston.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Pegula destroys the franchise, has the worst (by far) 10 year period of any NHL franchise,  and after 10 years its value increases (on paper) by 265%. 

Time to sell. Please sell. 

And move? Who'd want to step in and keep the Sabres in Buffalo right now? As a hockey market it's a basket case right now with the border semi-closed.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sabres are worth over a billion in GTA or Quebec City, $800-900 mil in Houston.

And move? Who'd want to step in and keep the Sabres in Buffalo right now? As a hockey market it's a basket case right now with the border semi-closed.

No, not move.  Sell and stay.  I can dream can’t I. 

6 hours ago, KC Scouts said:

Don't have time to do a deep dive in to the methods but how is Edmonton #7 and Vegas only #17? 

They likely look at recent costs and loans incurred by the franchises. Vegas just paid a huge entry fee and built a new arena a couple years ago.

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of NS said:

How are they losing millions if they bought the team for 189 and it’s now worth around 500?

That's value. They are operating at a huge loss. Which I guess is fine if you plan to sell eventually. Not so good if you are committed to owning the team. 

And don't cheer for selling the team. You really don't want that.

You could own a house. You paid $100K. Now worth $500K. But it cost you big every year. So you're paper rich but really flat broke.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

4 minutes ago, Ice Cold said:

It would be similar to what happened in Winnepeg and Minnesota who got their franchises back.  I know that many fans wouldn't be wanting to take that risk.  The very definition of "fan," precludes wanting the team to move, I think.  According to my 1975 Living Webster, "fan" is a slang term, meaning an enthusiast or devotee of any sport or amusement.  This raises the question, has one, according to Webster, stopped being a fan?  Are you devoted?  Enthused?  Not me.

Is one simply addicted to it, ignoring the negative consequences on mood and behavior?  Digging deeper into the roots, fan is said to be short for "fanatic," which has a more negative connotation.  It is a zealot; extremist: often applied to followers of a religion or political party.  Or it is also defined as "wildly enthusiastic; marked by extreme uncritical zeal."  Granted there are few if any fanatics of the Sabres remaining.  Doesn't sound like you'd want to be a fanatic anyway.

I feel good about the Buffalo fanbases love of the game of Hockey.  That is the pureness.  Loving this team, now, however, seems irrational to me, and perhaps unhealthy.

What should we call the new team if they took the name "Sabres" with them?  Hypothetically.

Buffalo Blades

Buffalo Bisons

Buffalo Buffaloes 

All easy choices, and immediate rivals to the Quebec Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Ice Cold said:

It would be similar to what happened in Winnepeg and Minnesota who got their franchises back.  I know that many fans wouldn't be wanting to take that risk.  The very definition of "fan," precludes wanting the team to move, I think.  According to my 1975 Living Webster, "fan" is a slang term, meaning an enthusiast or devotee of any sport or amusement.  This raises the question, has one, according to Webster, stopped being a fan?  Are you devoted?  Enthused?  Not me.

Is one simply addicted to it, ignoring the negative consequences on mood and behavior?  Digging deeper into the roots, fan is said to be short for "fanatic," which has a more negative connotation.  It is a zealot; extremist: often applied to followers of a religion or political party.  Or it is also defined as "wildly enthusiastic; marked by extreme uncritical zeal."  Granted there are few if any fanatics of the Sabres remaining.  Doesn't sound like you'd want to be a fanatic anyway.

I feel good about the Buffalo fanbases love of the game of Hockey.  That is the pureness.  Loving this team, now, however, seems irrational to me, and perhaps unhealthy.

What should we call the new team if they took the name "Sabres" with them?  Hypothetically.

How about "Buffalo Americans?"

If the Sabres left that's all Buffalo could hope for, an AHL team. The NHL would be done with us.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How about "Buffalo Americans?"

If the Sabres left that's all Buffalo could hope for, an AHL team. The NHL would be done with us.

No. There’s no alliteration there, not acceptable. And not inclusive of our Canadian fanbase. 

Buffalo Binationals has the better ring to it. 

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well we need to put a call out to any billionaire with local ties who likes hockey (or not) and is willing to lose millions every year until who knows?

Or put out a fantastic product, that makes good money, and excels for a long time in a town that will pay them back 100-fold.  

1 hour ago, Ice Cold said:

Nah, it'd be like the Ravens/Browns. They wouldn't keep the name, they'd want to be the Nordiques. They probably wouldn't keep the blue and gold either. 

As for the fan thing, I think to some extent it's just habit now. Local is local, I get that, but I doubt there are any young fans who live outside Buffalo unless it's from a parent being a fan or something like that. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.