GDT: Buffalo at Carolina, 4 Dec 2021, 7:30 pm ET, MSG, WGR

Doohickie

TRACKING THE STORYLINES:

Something's Got To Give: Things have not been going the Canes' way lately. The team is 1-4-1 in their last six after starting the season 15-3-1. The team's output and effort are there, however, the same puck luck that they were having through the first six weeks is not. The club has put 89 shots on net in their last two games, but has fell victim to 47 and 39-save performances.

Power Play Breakthrough: After reaching an unfortunate 0-for-20 mark on the man advantage, the team finally was able to get one in Thursday's third period courtesy of Teuvo Teravainen. Head Coach Rod Brind'Amour has cited the team's group as "being too cute" at times, so we'll see if this evening they can start a streak or if their difficult stretch continues.

Return of the Bear?: Defenseman Ethan Bear rejoined the team at Thursday's morning skate after testing positive for COVID-19 back on Monday, November 22. He did not play in that evening's game against Ottawa but said he felt good to go Friday morning, after he practiced with the club. Jalen Chatfield and Max Lajoie have "done a great job" in the words of their head coach, however, if Bear can go, one would have to think that he would be in the lineup.

History Repeats Itself: The Canes are 10-0-0 in their last ten meetings with Buffalo, marking the third-longest active win streak for a team against any opponent in the league.

25 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

I would love that for a change. So that got me thinking. When was the last time the sabres pulled a shutout and who was in net? We haven't had one this season.

No shutouts last year either. There were three in 2019-20. 10/25 2-0 win over Red Wings with Ullmark in net. Then two back to back by Hutton vs the Stars (4-0) 10/14 and the Kings (3-0) 10/17.

9 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Just play well guys, and DON'T GIVE THE CANES ANYTHING TO CELEBRATE WITH THEIR FANS AT THE END.

That's all I ask.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the Panthers game.  4-1 lead in the second period and we proceed to allow six goals.  I dunno how much of this I can take without throwing my TV out of the window.  GO SABRES!!!  HANG THE CANDY CANES!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SABRESfan said:

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the Panthers game.  4-1 lead in the second period and we proceed to allow six goals.  I dunno how much of this I can take without throwing my TV out of the window.  GO SABRES!!!  HANG THE CANDY CANES!

I honestly feel none of this.  I’m enjoying the ride with the kids.  I know most games will end in falter due to bad goaltending and inexperienced players.  Seeing Tage, Dylan, Victor and now Casey all ascend their games now that they aren’t being stifled by a coach stuck in the 90s is refreshing.  

We know what the issues are.  Get the kids some experience and goaltending and watch this team soar. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

I honestly feel none of this.  I’m enjoying the ride with the kids.  I know most games will end in falter due to bad goaltending and inexperienced players.  Seeing Tage, Dylan, Victor and now Casey all ascend their games now that they aren’t being stifled by a coach stuck in the 90s is refreshing.  

We know what the issues are.  Get the kids some experience and goaltending and watch this team soar. 

This is the right attitude, unless one is a masochist; then expect wins and enjoy the hell out of yourself.

• Like (+1) 2

• This is the first of three meetings between the Sabres and Hurricanes this season. 
• Last meeting: Carolina defeated Buffalo 5-4 (OT) in Buffalo on Nov. 14, 2019. 
• Next meeting: Tuesday, April 5 in Buffalo 

• The Sabres are 0-6-4 in their last 10 games against the Hurricanes; 2-7-1 on the road. 
• This is the 206th game all-time between Buffalo and Carolina; Buffalo has a 102-75-28series record. 
• The Sabres are 44-42-17 on the road against the Hurricanes all-time.

Sabres are 14th in goal scoring with 67 goals

Canes are 12th with 69 scored

Sabres are third worst team in goals allowed with 84 allowed

Canes are second best team in goals allowed with 50 goals against 

http://www.nhl.com/stats/teams?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20212022&seasonTo=20212022&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=goalsAgainst&page=0&pageSize=50

Taking into account a road game, a  ten game  losing streak versus the Canes, and the Canes need to get a win, I would think the Canes win this with ease.    BUT.  Maybe Subban stands on his head for his new team and we score enough to pull  out a 3-2 win. 

Go Sabres. Stop losing. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, inkman said:

My sentiments exactly. I don't expect much from the goal tending and overall D (though they looked much better for about 1.5 periods last game). I know it's not kosher, but I'm hoping for a top 5 pick. If they can average about 3 gpg along the way, I'll be entertained; especially if the 4 you mention get 20+ each (well, at least the pace would be 20+ for Mitts).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

History Repeats Itself: The Canes are 10-0-0 in their last ten meetings with Buffalo, marking the third-longest active win streak for a team against any opponent in the league.

Ahhh, history.  I seem to recall reading not too long ago the Sabres hadn't won a game against the Lightning since November 13, 2018. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.