When will Sabres make the playoffs?

Berg

When will the Sabres make the playoffs?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. When will the Sabres make the playoffs?

• Never. Playoffs for losers..

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

In the year 2525, if man is still alive
If woman can survive, they may find
In the year 3535
Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lie
Everything you think, do and say
Is in the pill you took today
In the year 4545
You ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing to chew
Nobody's gonna look at you
In the year 5555
Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
Your legs got nothin' to do
Some machine's doin' that for you
In the year 6565
You won't need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube

Zager and Evans.  One hit wonders from 1969, predating the Sabres.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

it does seem that We've been on the train to Bangkok - Aboard the Thailand Express We've hit A LOT OF stops along the way, only hoping for the best.  learning that we cant get something for nothing, we've shed a lot of tears, learnt a lot of lessons. Many times its felt like we entered the twilight Zone beyond this world strange things are known  

all just to enter the Pleasure dome - Xanadu when the Sabres win the Cup

With this team:

All the same we take our chances
Laughed at by time
Tricked by circumstances
Plus ca change
Plus c'est la meme chose
The more that things change
The more they stay the same

link:  

Let's hope they current process works out and they DON'T stay the same.

Edited by msw2112

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They'll make the playoffs this year. Here's how.

Half the league will be out on Covid protocol just as we get Tuch in the lineup as well as Peterka, Quinn and Krebs on call-up. We go on a tear just as the NHL announces another 24-round playoff bubble. We get in on the final game.

I’d be totally fine with that.

6 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Given how much this team CAN score, I would put the steadying of the defence with boring, capable veterans and adding good goaltending could turn this around as soon as next year.

It's harder to teach how to score than how to defend. We're scoring with JAGS. They are entertaining to watch. It's everything KA and TG said it would be.

6 hours ago, calti said:

PITT  WASH BOSTON hardly ever drop off for more than 1 season . They are like the steelers,ravens,pats,colts...

What is it investors say about mutual funds? Future performance cannot be guaranteed based on past? Bruins are haunted by the 2015 draft. Senyshyn, DeBrusk, Zboril. Chara's gone, Krejci's gone, Rask will be soon if not already. Bergeron is old, Marchand is getting there. Show me their young talent that will fill that void? Ain't there. Same for Pitt and Washington. When Ovi goes Washington goes. Pitt struggled until Crosby returned and Jarry got hot. The run for all 3 is nearly over. 

6 hours ago, calti said:

Forget the rebuilding..hardly ever works. Get solid tough vets in there and learn how to win again

So undo the whole rebuild plan and trade for old guys? Who are you Murray? I hear Evander Kane's available. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

What is it investors say about mutual funds? Future performance cannot be guaranteed based on past? Bruins are haunted by the 2015 draft. Senyshyn, DeBrusk, Zboril. Chara's gone, Krejci's gone, Rask will be soon if not already. Bergeron is old, Marchand is getting there. Show me their young talent that will fill that void? Ain't there. Same for Pitt and Washington. When Ovi goes Washington goes. Pitt struggled until Crosby returned and Jarry got hot. The run for all 3 is nearly over. 

So undo the whole rebuild plan and trade for old guys? Who are you Murray? I hear Evander Kane's available. 

Rebuild is just a word to justify your incompetence...That's why we hear it every new year. Vegas has playoffs from start without any draft picks and any rebuilding. Especially when we sell Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto. We all waiting for the results and tired of fairytales.

I think this next offseason is crucial. If they can add a solid middle six forward, a second pairing dman, and a better goaltender they can make the playoffs next year. The flood of youth that will join the roster next year can help them get over the goal line. They just need veterans to guide them. Frankly I'd be on board if they traded the Panthers first this year for a solid veteran forward.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Berg said:

Rebuild is just a word to justify your incompetence...That's why we hear it every new year. Vegas has playoffs from start without any draft picks and any rebuilding. Especially when we sell Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto. We all waiting for the results and tired of fairytales.

Not true unless you're referring to ownership. Rebuild is the word used by new GMs with the incompetence on the previous GMs.  So fans look for commonalities and see continuity, but for the management, this is only the beginning. 

23 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not true unless you're referring to ownership. Rebuild is the word used by new GMs with the incompetence on the previous GMs.  So fans look for commonalities and see continuity, but for the management, this is only the beginning. 

For Vegas it's wasn't the beginning? 

1 hour ago, Berg said:

For Vegas it's wasn't the beginning? 

You can't use Vegas for any comparisons. They had a unique expansion draft where teams gave them way too many extras and picks and you know the story. Seattle didn't get that did they? You'd have a stronger argument imo if you wanted to use Detroit. Or Carolina for that matter. A few years back they looked about the same as us but we drafted poorly. We have a different GM and scouting departments now.

No point in living in the past, you either follow through with the new GM or you give up and find another team. Personally, I was so close to out the door, but KA has initiated a plan that was what I would have done so I'm going to see how it plays out. If they ***** this one up too, probably the only thing that'd allow me to give them another shot AFTER this one would be an ownership change. 

Philly fans are starting to call for a rebuild I hear. You want some of them? Risto maybe? 🙂

23 hours ago, Weave said:

Uh, that was the point.

Yes, but the options are 2022, 2023, never, and never. And the most likely options are 2024, 2025, 2026, and 2027.

Next year (2022-2023), we're likely to be breaking in two rookie defensemen (Power/Samuelsson) and up to an entire line of rookie forwards (Quinn, JJP, Krebs). There will be gaffes and growing pains aplenty, regardless of the goaltending. Another year (2023-2024) and we'll truly start to see the fruits of the Power-rebuild and Eichel/Reinhart/Risto reset in earnest. But in 2023-2024 TB should still be good (Vasilevskiy); TOR will still be good (their core is only now getting into their prime); FLA will still be good (Ekblad in his prime, Knight still getting better); and BOS is only then likely to see a downturn in the top line as Bergeron and Marchand age.

2024-2025 is where we can realistically start saying this new core is going to be good. But by then, will Okposo be gone? Will Dahlin re-sign or be traded in that final season as a rental (or sign and trade)? Will Skinner have been bought out? Will Cozens be a Dylan Larkin or a stud 2-way Bergeron? (At only 23 years old and starting his second contract, he'll likely trend toward the former for the moment.) Will Levi or Portillo be in the NHL yet, will UPL be an average NHL starter? And lest we forget, Detroit and Ottawa have been tanking almost as long as we have, and Detroit is a year ahead of us (they got a serviceable goalie and the veteran D in Leddy this year to go with their two rookie Calder-types). They'll likely be on the upswing, too. 

My thought is that the poll needs to be looking further ahead and not so far as never.

In order to make the playoffs, our goalies have to consistently outplay the opposing teams' goalies.  They don't now.  And it is obviously more difficult to find decent goalies than we all hoped it would be.

That said, as Sun Tzu would say, "If you can't upgrade your goaltending, degrade the opponent's goaltending."  Remember all of those trades the Sabres have done "for future considerations"?  I say we degrade the opponents by giving them our current goalies as payment in full for those future considerations!

"Hey New York, remember that we took Johnny Boychuk for future considerations?  Well, we've considered it and here is Aaron Dell for you.  Good luck with that!"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.