Sabres acquire goalie Malcolm Subban for Future Considerations

Hoss

3 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

They don't want a functioning goaltender. They want a placeholder. Someone who is absolutely no threat to turn into Tim Thomas. 

If I had to choose between Dell and an empty net to make a save for my life I'm choosing the empty net.

So, let him placehold for two years?

• Like (+1) 1

Realize this is Subban's thread, but this is 2x that Dell has come in cold & played well.

Wonder how long it would take for him & the other goalies to figure out what Bales was up to if the other guy started every game but Dell came in the take over the next period whenever they were behind heading into intermission.  😄

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Realize this is Subban's thread, but this is 2x that Dell has come in cold & played well.

Wonder how long it would take for him & the other goalies to figure out what Bales was up to if the other guy started every game but Dell came in the take over the next period whenever they were behind heading into intermission.  😄

Why wait until an intermission? Do that fake MLB starter routine where you get the opposition to commit to all lefties...then bam... put in the real starting pitcher. We could swap Dell in at the first whistle.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

So, let him placehold for two years?

The placeholder has to only be this year. Otherwise the RFAs will start to come due and not sign long-term, or will sign short-term qualifying offers to get out, or demand trades. Because at a certain point they know you don't want to win as a franchise. And then you haven't changed the culture at all -- you've just ruined the next core.

20 hours ago, bunomatic said:

At least he isn’t a ‘ loud ‘ personality like his oldest brother. Just seems at least in that vid to be a little less of an attention seeker. Good luck to him.

PK has a ***** fantastic personality. Can’t wait until he retires and becomes the face of NHL coverage.

Given that the team's current lack of defencive awareness and his lack of practise time, I am unsurprised by Subban's outing.  I was hoping for a greater commitment to defencive positioning from the skaters to help him out.

I am also wondering if the recent insertions into the line-up mean that many need to adjust to their new linemates, which will make the defencemen's and goaltenders' task that much harder.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

They don't want a functioning goaltender. They want a placeholder. Someone who is absolutely no threat to turn into Tim Thomas. 

I’m not saying this isn’t their plan, but why wouldn’t we want to stumble upon a Tim Thomas? Would love it. I really don’t care who is playing well for us in goal. Could be UPL, Toker, or some other unknown dude. They shouldn’t be playing favorites at this point.

Unless they really don’t want to win, but then why did they even attempt to resign Ulmark? They could’ve dumped him at the trade deadline if they really wanted to lose this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

If I had to choose between Dell and an empty net to make a save for my life I'm choosing the empty net.

Don’t know if I would want that. That would mean we have an extra skater on the ice, which apparently would be a disadvantage for us. 

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Well, this acquisition started well, don't ya think?.......

I didn’t see the game, only the highlights a few times.  He wasn’t great but there were plenty of other problems with the team from what a saw.  All the defensive combos had some problems.  The forwards could be a lot better too.   They don’t play team defense at all.  Granato could have a hole in his coaching.  I’m wondering why so many players are making positional errors, bad passes, unforced errors, etc. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I didn’t see the game, only the highlights a few times.  He wasn’t great but there were plenty of other problems with the team from what a saw.  All the defensive combos had some problems.  The forwards could be a lot better too.   They don’t play team defense at all.  Granato could have a hole in his coaching.  I’m wondering why so many players are making positional errors, bad passes, unforced errors, etc. 

Cuz they aren't very good.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I'm told it's because of goaltending.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.