Sabres acquire goalie Malcolm Subban for Future Considerations

Hoss

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

How can anyone say they're not tanking now ?  This guy is horrible

If they had any care about winning they would have gotten a dallas goaltender

Adams is doing a subtle tank which is as close to an oxy moron as you can get. Everyone knows it. Few want to acknowledge it. I had hoped I would never have to live through one again but here we are.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Never been a regular at the nhl level. Was actually decent in a limited role in Vegas (yes, Vegas put a lot more in front of him), meh-to-bad in the same role in Chicago. Has never been as bad as Dell. I don’t think he’s gonna reverse the teams fortunes, but he should…should…be an upgrade on Dell. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle for a few months.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 1

Can't be as bad as Dell, just can't, and if he is he'll be headed to Rochester or somewhere else. 

There might still be another deal to be had somewhere like Dallas.

They will need to make a deal of some kind if they plan on bringing Bishop back. 

Edited by Norcal
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Future Considerations is most likely nothing, but I don't think it's definitely nothing. Might mean it depends on how many games he plays or wins  or his save percentage etc.  That can be termed a conditional pick but it can also be future considerations. 

Genuinely interested, do you have a single example of a time that future considerations turned out to be anything other than absolutely nothing?  I think it’s nothing 100% of the time, and it’s literally just the way that they must phrase “nothing” to comply with the CBA.

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

Genuinely interested, do you have a single example of a time that future considerations turned out to be anything other than absolutely nothing?  I think it’s nothing 100% of the time, and it’s literally just the way that they must phrase “nothing” to comply with the CBA.

I always imagine its one GM saying to the other, you owe me a little favour next time 😛

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So he turns 28 in a few weeks, has not played a-tall this year (anyone know why?), started 14 games last year, and 19-20 games per year the 4 seasons before that.  He's making $850K this year, after which he's a UFA.

Looks like another member of the JAG Corps.  But I'm glad KA at least took a shot at improving a dreadful goalie situation that he is 100% responsible for creating.

Seems like a risky move.  This could cause dissention in the locker room with all those players making only $750K.

#sarcasm 

29 minutes ago, Curt said:

No examples, but in earlier years (80s maybe 90s) you did here of deals that were for future considerations from previous deals. So yes it used to be ised as described.  But I haven’t heard of those in a long time

• Like (+1) 2

Agree Suban isn't the full answer, but I can't see Sabres being able to trade for a number 1 goalie without giving up a lot.  Also, hard to see a team willing to trade a number 1 right now.... there arent not enough of them around.  But Sabres do need to find a solid NHL goaltender, not a maybe...  I hope Adams keeps looking.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I always imagine its one GM saying to the other, you owe me a little favour next time 😛

I was told many years ago that "future considerations" can be something like throwing in an extra late pick in a later trade or giving an extra round in a draft pick being exchanged.  Punch Imlach was apparently a master of calling in chits like this.

6 hours ago, Curt said:

I guess it doesn't really matter much, but on a personal level I just like when things have meaning.  How about instead of getting "future considerations" you must make it something definite...like instead of getting 'future considerations' you just make it ' the next time team A has a better 7th round draft pick than team B in the same draft, Team B gets to swap it".

And consider the upside:  If he does manage to pull it together and can give us something like Anderson-level goaltending (not sure he's capable, but who knows), you have another player that will be glad to be playing in Buffalo.  I don't think he'll ever be close to elite, but if he at least gives the team a chance to win, say, more frequently than Toker, it's a win for the team.

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I guess it doesn't really matter much, but on a personal level I just like when things have meaning.  How about instead of getting "future considerations" you must make it something definite...like instead of getting 'future considerations' you just make it ' the next time team A has a better 7th round draft pick than team B in the same draft, Team B gets to swap it".

It's basically something to bring up as a chit in a future negotiation, if that.  They used to have the ability to buy and sell contracts; then instead of Future Considerations, you bought a player for $1.  Kris Draper had played 20 games for WPG over 4 seasons when DET bought his contract for $1 and he turned out to be a big part of their 90s Cup runs as their shutdown center and ended up playing over a thousand games for the Wings. 

So what's the dollar value of Future Considerations?  Think of it as $1.

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri

19 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Because Adams has no intention of dropping a few slots in the 7th round this year or next.

"Future considerations" is what it is.  The Sabres needed a goalie, the Hawks didn't want to keep paying Subban.  The GMs will remember that on what in the grand scheme of things was a nothing deal they each worked together and made their own situation a smidge better.  Maybe that will give them each good will towards the other that they can get a deal done for something that might actually affect their fortunes.

Besides, who's to say the "future considerations" will necessarily go Chicago's way?  Maybe Adams' initial offer was he'd take Subban off Chicago's hands if a 7th 2 years from now came with him.

And it worked down to Subban for future considerations.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.