Sabres acquire goalie Malcolm Subban for Future Considerations

Hoss

22 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Gooood Mouve... is goulie... have pulsee... vie naut...

Sounds like German to me.

20 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

What am I missing here...."future considerations" does not seem the same thing as "free" to me?!?!  Did we send a pick or what exactly to get him?

Nothing.  In the future we will send Chicago something like a pizza and a dozen suicide wings.

3 hours ago, Norcal said:

They needed a goalie in a year that very few are available because of Covid protocols and the need for teams to be prepared for games being missed. 

They found one. He's not a top tier goaltender and this surprises people? 

As always, I'll give the guy a chance before I judge him.

First bad goal I'm throwing his ass under the bus. 

3 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

How would you have addressed the goalie situation differently?  

The time to handle these matters is not during the season and enough people here recognized any combination of Anderson, Dell, and Tokarski were not going to work for an entire 82 game schedule.  

It's pretty clear now that Adams has his money on UPL as the future, so the 3 in Buffalo were to bridge a gap.  Except, that bridge fell apart by the quarter pole of the season forcing them to acquire, albeit at little cost, another goalie.  

Thing is, UPL has been up and down at Rochester.  If he's not NHL caliber, then you're waiting on Portillo or Levi and they won't be here for another 2 seasons at a minimum.  What then?  They're back to finding other short term options which inhibit their ability to win and probably hurt team morale.  

Reminds me of years ago when Bills fans would talk about all the injuries they had for why they couldn't win...but never acknowledged that the team was thin entering the season because they kept costs down.  It forced them to sign and subsequently give significant PT to undrafted and street free agents.  Sabres doing same thing now. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Every move they have made indicates that this year was about next year: establishing a culture in Buffalo while adding another top-10 pick, maintaining maximum cap and roster flexibility, and playing their top kids in key roles where they can have success and gain confidence.

Kevyn has a plan and he's sticking to it.

Dude did it really take this long to figure this out?? KA and Granato all but admitted this prior to the season.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Your entire post summed it perfectly.

On a side note i thought this was a slightly comical choice of words from Weekes on this acquisition.

image.thumb.png.f107e7b1425d41deff00c9128e24eabf.png

Kinda funny that getting a replacement level goaltender is BIG NEWS around here 🤣

The fact that it sort of is, is just a sign of the times i guess.

Regardless i cant wait to see how he looks out there

1 minute ago, In The Buff said:

Your entire post summed it perfectly.

On a side note i thought this was a slightly comical choice of words from Weekes on this acquisition.

image.thumb.png.f107e7b1425d41deff00c9128e24eabf.png

Kinda funny that getting a replacement level goaltender is BIG NEWS around here 🤣

The fact that it sort of is, is just a sign of the times i guess.

Regardless i cant wait to see how he looks out there

He's happy for a member of the goalie community getting another shot. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Every move they have made indicates that this year was about next year: establishing a culture in Buffalo while adding another top-10 pick, maintaining maximum cap and roster flexibility, and playing their top kids in key roles where they can have success and gain confidence.

• It's why Dahlin is being used as a 1D regardless of his mistakes, and Thompson and Mittelstadt were handed 1st-line roles
  • It's why Power is in Michigan and why Peterka didn't make the team in spite of his great camp.
  • It's why Samuelsson and Quinn haven't been called up despite clearly dominating at the lower level.
  • It's why Krebs got sent to Rochester despite being good enough to play in Vegas
  • It's why 4 of their defencemen are on one-year deals
  • Its why 5 of their forwards are on one-year deals
  • And it's why they now have 4(!) goalies on minimum wage expiring deals

They believe in UPL and fully expected him to emerge as a viable NHL goalie and join the team maybe not this year, but certainly next, along with Power and the rest. Maybe one of those cheap 1-year guys emerges as his sidekick, or maybe they have to find someone else next summer.

But they are not going invest assets or dollars or term in someone they are essentially hiring to keep a seat warm until they see where they are with UPL at the end of this season.

That is obviously the plan.  And most all that is correct.  Though based on his play to date, not positive they are fully bought in on UPL.  (They're definitely bought in on at least 1 of the 3 prospects they entered the season with coming down the pipeline,, but which remain to be determined.)  But bringing in a real goalie for this season would cost assets they don't want to give up & also move their next selection in the draft back a few slots.

But the post was in response to one saying Adams is good at talent evaluation.  He seems to be reasonably good at it for skaters, but the actions made to date leave the answer to whether he's good at it for G's still highly debateable.

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That is obviously the plan.  And most all that is correct.  Though based on his play to date, not positive they are fully bought in on UPL.  (They're definitely bought in on at least 1 of the 3 prospects they entered the season with coming down the pipeline,, but which remain to be determined.)  But bringing in a real goalie for this season would cost assets they don't want to give up & also move their next selection in the draft back a few slots.

But the post was in response to one saying Adams is good at talent evaluation.  He seems to be reasonably good at it for skaters, but the actions made to date leave the answer to whether he's good at it for G's still highly debateable.

He definitely seems to know enough to reliably select bad ones.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Head scratcher, is he better than Dell? I guess we'll see. My guess is he's the same.

Doesn't matter, we've seen enough of Dell to know we don't want to see anymore. Down to the AHL for Dell, probably never sees the NHL again 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.