Sabres acquire goalie Malcolm Subban for Future Considerations

Hoss

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So he turns 28 in a few weeks, has not played a-tall this year (anyone know why?), started 14 games last year, and 19-20 games per year the 4 seasons before that.  He's making $850K this year, after which he's a UFA.

Looks like another member of the JAG Corps.  But I'm glad KA at least took a shot at improving a dreadful goalie situation that he is 100% responsible for creating.

You never know, maybe he'll be brilliant for a year, sign him for another, and then let the talent bump him aside.

.893 with a 3.38 in 5 AHL games.  No wonder he was free.  

Dell .905 with a 3.01 in 3 AHL games.  .862 with a 4.56 in 5 NHL games.  

Doesn’t look like an upgrade.  Just more cannon fodder.  

I also thought $750 K was the max we spend on goaltending.  $850 K for Subban is way to much.

• Haha (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I also thought $750 K was the max we spend on goaltending.  $850 K for Subban is way to much.

It seems this season "is what it is" at this point. I've accepted it. 

I just really hope the offseason brings with it the appearance of a team with the aim of being competitive in the standings next year. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not asking for Chicago to eat that last $100k is why he was free.  😉

Can't be worse than Dell.  Allows Dell to go back where he belongs.  Won't be an upgrade to Tokarski, but at least he can platoon w/ him until Anderson (hopefully) comes back. 

Adams can still look for a real goalie, but would be surprised if he does.

Disappointing move, but given what the real goals on the season seem to be, can't say we could've/should've expected for more.

Edited by Taro T

4 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

KA is rolling the dice.  Cannot hurt to try for free basically. Maybe he gets his game back.

Is he? I'm sure he knows he's not very good. Adams to my eye has looked a pretty strong judge of talent, re: very early returns 

@dudacekhad it - I think this is a goldilocks zone move. We didn't have to give up anything for a season we aren't prioritizing winning, and it probably helps the losing look a little more respectable, when the reference point is Dell. 

Edited by Thorny

20 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Free is good.

At the very least he's another body.

Butcher, Jonsson-Fjallby, Wolanin, Boychuk and now Subban…

New Sabres GM record for most free players acquired in one season?

Or is it a new record for most useless players acquired in one season?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I think Adams has accurately judged what he'd get from them, more less. In that way, they aren't useless - supposed to look like this. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So he turns 28 in a few weeks, has not played a-tall this year (anyone know why?), started 14 games last year, and 19-20 games per year the 4 seasons before that.  He's making $850K this year, after which he's a UFA.

Looks like another member of the JAG Corps.  But I'm glad KA at least took a shot at improving a dreadful goalie situation that he is 100% responsible for creating.

How would you have addressed the goalie situation differently?  

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Free is a relative term.  $2.8 mill for Butcher ain’t exactly “free.”

3 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

How would you have addressed the goalie situation differently?  

As I've said repeatedly, about a million goalies changed teams in the summers of 2020 and 2021, and 95% of them were better than the losers currently manning the position for the Sabres.  It's KA's job to identify and bring in at least one of them.

More specifically, I wouldn't have lowballed Ullmark with a 1- or 2-year offer (per Vogl's report) and then been left emptyhanded when he bailed.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

As I've said repeatedly, about a million goalies changed teams in the summers of 2020 and 2021, and 95% of them were better than the losers currently manning the position for the Sabres.  It's KA's job to identify and bring in at least one of them.

More specifically, I wouldn't have lowballed Ullmark with a 1- or 2-year offer (per Vogl's report) and then been left emptyhanded when he bailed.

I've not read the repeated names. I know the FA market was crap, and the plan was likely ullmark.  

Who would you have pursued?  

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He's definitely putting a lot of faith in his coaching staff to try to rehab the values on some pretty cheap guys. It's really not a bad tactic. Utilize the cap space you have, see if your coaches can get a guy or two going, maybe trade em at the deadline if they dredge up some value?

Frankly, I think he should be doing more of it.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Vogl was the only one who said 1 or 2 years, most of the other reporters said it was 3x5mil

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.