Does Rasmus Dahlin need a change of scenery?

inkman

Does Rasmus Dahlin need a change of scenery?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think # 26 needs?

• A fresh start somewhere else without the pressure of being a first overall pick
    • Time to develop, he’s only 21.

23 hours ago, Thorny said:

I guess I missed the part where Will Butcher and R2 were leading the team in assists. Those fellows contribute poor play, with no positives. Dahlin contributes some poor play, mixed with a lot of good play - it's just the good play doesn't count because it doesn't live up to what people were told to expect. 

- - - 

Sabres twitter, and the usual suspects on it, hate Dahlin now and the advanced stats gurus are definitely singing their tune (and it's creeping in on here now, too) - but Sabres twitter always likes to dial in the focus on one player because they can't handle the fact the roster, as a whole, isn't good enough

I've never seen a group so focused on factoring in context yet find a way to basically completely lose the plot, and said context, while doing so. 

It's ironic how we spread the blame for Dahlin but shift all the blame on goalies. You'd have more of a point if Dahlin's gaffes weren't so singular. It's true that hockey is a team game, but at any given moment responsibility shifts from one skater to another. Once the puck hits Dahlin's stick, he's on the hook. 

I also wouldn't get too dazzled by Dahlin's assist stats. 5 of his 11 assists come on the power play where he quarterbacks play. So assists tend to come with the job. Right now Dahlin is -4 this season (and -60 for his career.)

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

I guess I missed the part where Will Butcher and R2 were leading the team in assists. Those fellows contribute poor play, with no positives. Dahlin contributes some poor play, mixed with a lot of good play - it's just the good play doesn't count because it doesn't live up to what people were told to expect. 

- - - 

Sabres twitter, and the usual suspects on it, hate Dahlin now and the advanced stats gurus are definitely singing their tune (and it's creeping in on here now, too) - but Sabres twitter always likes to dial in the focus on one player because they can't handle the fact the roster, as a whole, isn't good enough

I've never seen a group so focused on factoring in context yet find a way to basically completely lose the plot, and said context, while doing so. 

never ever ever forget Sabres twitter said that ERod would be a good long term signing and the Sheary was a victim of puck luck.   A lot of times, advanced stats paint a picture of whatever you want to see. 

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, anyone can write anything -- just because someone published this doesn't mean that credible hockey people were thinking this way.  Where was this published?

I wonder what "actual" hockey people think of Dahlin at 21?. Im sure there would be a long list of suitors if the Sabres were dumb enough to trade him away.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/30/2021 at 10:40 AM, CallawaySabres said:

It is so depressing to even think about this. I was more excited when we won Dahlin than I was about Eichel. How could someone who was hyped up to be the best D prospect in 30 years end up looking like he does not belong in the NHL?

14 points in 22 games while skating 23 min/game. 

What is required for someone to "belong in the NHL" in your world? Point per game?

5 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I wonder what "actual" hockey people think of Dahlin at 21?. Im sure there would be a long list of suitors if the Sabres were dumb enough to trade him away.

If they decide to look at a trade there will be a long list of tire kickers, how many give good offers ? That is always suspect.

He's a bum I've said it numerous times. People are blaming his age and being the n the worst team, how does that equate to him giving up the puck numerous times, he's single handedly lost games for us with turnovers, he's not a hitter, not tough, not enough of a goal scorer to make a difference. People constantly bring up both Chara and Hedman but both of those guys had at least physicality where Dahlin has nothing, nodda. He's been on the roster since 2018 and getting worse. What more do you people need to see?

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

He's a bum I've said it numerous times. People are blaming his age and being the n the worst team, how does that equate to him giving up the puck numerous times, he's single handedly lost games for us with turnovers, he's not a hitter, not tough, not enough of a goal scorer to make a difference. People constantly bring up both Chara and Hedman but both of those guys had at least physicality where Dahlin has nothing, nodda. He's been on the roster since 2018 and getting worse. What more do you people need to see?

I’m going to try to ask an illuminating question.

What was your opinion on Tage Thompson prior to this season?

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

na·da

/ˈnädə/

Learn to pronounce

pronoun

INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN

nothing.

9 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

nodda?  

A question I sometimes ponder is does he have the offensive upside like a Phil Housley and also is his defensive upside better than Housley's?  I don't necessarily expect him to be as offensively skilled as Wow-wee at the NHL level, but I would like to see him improve in his own end asap.  Too many turnovers and backing in too much should be correctable things. 

In my best case scenario, I'd love to see him develop into a Nick Lidstrom type defender.

2 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

A question I sometimes ponder is does he have the offensive upside like a Phil Housley and also is his defensive upside better than Housley's?  I don't necessarily expect him to be as offensively skilled as Wow-wee at the NHL level, but I would like to see him improve in his own end asap.  Too many turnovers and backing in too much should be correctable things. 

In my best case scenario, I'd love to see him develop into a Nick Lidstrom type defender.

That's where we went wrong, projecting Dahlin to be Potvin. 

If we settle for lowering our collective expectations to merely a Lidstrom level talent, I can't see what could go wrong..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Curt said:

I’m going to try to ask an illuminating question.

What was your opinion on Tage Thompson prior to this season?

I didn't think much of him before this season, I think he's a middle tier player maybe with the potential of more now.

12 hours ago, inkman said:

na·da

/ˈnädə/

Learn to pronounce

pronoun

INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN

nothing.

So you're a 13 year old resorting to this? I thought this was for adults I'll know better now when you post something.

22 hours ago, sabremike said:

This thread is peak reactionary hot take nonsense. A Dahlin trade would end up a hockey version of Nolan Ryan for Jim Fergosi but thankfully KA isn't completely insane and it's not going to happen.

Something has to happen with him. He makes mistakes my DIII kid doesn’t make. Game after game. I know it will hurt everyone’s ego, dahlias, Sabres, scouts, etc but it’s time he went down to Rochester to fix his game.

4 minutes ago, JKB1646 said:

Something has to happen with him. He makes mistakes my DIII kid doesn’t make. Game after game. I know it will hurt everyone’s ego, dahlias, Sabres, scouts, etc but it’s time he went down to Rochester to fix his game.

He needs to get better yes, but he's NOT going to Rochester.  IMHO - he was less "bad" tonight vs. last game.  Our defense group as a whole is weak, so it puts more pressure on him....which he is not developed enough to fulfill.  

Just now, Carmel Corn said:

He needs to get better yes, but he's NOT going to Rochester.  IMHO - he was less "bad" tonight vs. last game.  Our defense group as a whole is weak, so it puts more pressure on him....which he is not developed enough to fulfill.  

Yeah.  Expect next season's forwards to come from w/in the system.  But Adams has to bring an experienced partner in for Dahlin (Pysyk is probably the best choice in house, but he's not a top pairing guy & can only help mentor Dahlin so much) & hopefully 1 other 1 as well so that both top pairings has an experienced vet.  Realize that they'll have at least 6 kids that are ready for the NHL, but Jokiharju can't be the elder statesman.

He also needs to bring in a real goalie from outside as well.  Even if UPL turns the corner.

On 11/30/2021 at 11:35 AM, Crusader1969 said:

would you be happy if Dahlin turned into John Carlsson? Dougie Hamilton? Victor Hedman? Roman Josi? 

Dahlin is ahead of all of these players at the age of 21.

Relax, he will improve as the team improves. Though he may never turn into the "use in all" situations type defenseman but I have no doubt we will see seasons of 70 plus points in the near future.

He’s on pace for, what? 60 points this season?

There are fans on here who think a 60 point defensemen needs time in the AHL? And that’s 60 points on a BAD team.

I don’t understand the thinking around here lately. 

Edited by The Ghost of NS
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.