Does Rasmus Dahlin need a change of scenery?

inkman

Does Rasmus Dahlin need a change of scenery?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think # 26 needs?

• A fresh start somewhere else without the pressure of being a first overall pick
    • Time to develop, he’s only 21.

4 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

It is so depressing to even think about this. I was more excited when we won Dahlin than I was about Eichel. How could someone who was hyped up to be the best D prospect in 30 years end up looking like he does not belong in the NHL?

This is exactly how I feel.

"He is 21"

Yes and when he does get to be a better player with a NHL level hockey IQ he will NOT be under contract and do you think he will resign with us?

So why the heck groom this kid for a future team, trade him now and let some other team deal with his growing pains and then watch him sign elsewhere, he just is NOT a good fit here ATM.

The bad news is I think we would get the most return for him at the trade deadline rather then now, so I think we are stuck with the Blonde Bozo.

4 hours ago, bunomatic said:

He’s had some doozies for sure but this is a ***** team with ***** goaltending. Your goalie should bail you out occasionally. 

Uhhh, they do. Many times. But we only notice when they don't. If you actually took a count, there are way more defensive blunders than bad goals. But when a goalie bails your defense out we immediately forget about it because a goal wasn't scored.

8 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

In this case Rochester is 'misused' as an option.  When you want a player to go to Roch, it is usually so they can get more playing time in...so they can be free to make mistakes and learn from them.

Granato already gives him top playing time...and Granato already said 'multiple times' that Dahlin is going to make mistakes here and he has to learn from him.  So, he is getting the 'Rochester' treatment already in the pros.  The only difference is his mistakes are magnified in the eyes of the fans because of the level of the competition, and are more likely to make the Sabres lose a game than they would make Roch lose in if down there.

If Granato is willing to keep giving him max ice time, and is willing to let him make his mistakes, there is not much benefit to sending him to Roch (Even if it WAS possible).

So when does Granato say enough mistakes? Is it fair to other Sabres like Butcher and R2 who get sat sent down for poor play while the golden child gets a free pass? When does Dahlin endure even one consequence for his play?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So when does Granato say enough mistakes? Is it fair to other Sabres like Butcher and R2 who get sat sent down for poor play while the golden child gets a free pass? When does Dahlin endure even one consequence for his play?

Do you think Dahlin's play this year is more of a net negative than that of most of the other defencemen?

31 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Article from 2013   Hedman 4 seasons in the NHL and 23 years old 

"

The Tampa Bay Lightning bought into the hype, and drafted Hedman ahead of players like Matt Duchene and Evander Kane.

Post-Draft Fallout

Hedman has been in the NHL for four seasons now. 2013-14 will be his fifth in the league, and while he's been a minute-muncher in Tampa, he hasn't even come close to providing the kind of offensive spark many hoped he would.

The Hockey News thought that Hedman had some offensive upside. So did ESPN. And while the Lighting have been one of the most explosive offensive teams in the league over the last few seasons, Hedman has yet to cash in.

Through 258 games played, he's notched 89 points. While posting 20 points in a season isn't bad for a defenseman, it's likely that the Lightning would take one of the players they passed on at this point if they had a do-over."

Again, noone is underwhelmed with Dahlin’s offensive game.  This does nothing to answer the concerns regarding his defensive game.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Do you think Dahlin's play this year is more of a net negative than that of most of the other defencemen?

For me? No.  For all of his blunders, overall he’s still the best D man on the team right now.

• Like (+1) 2

My concern is if the team doesn’t get his D game dialed in soon, he becomes a Housley type player that can’t be trusted on the ice in close games.

I suppose if Mule and Power meet expectations it won’t matter, but 1OAL is a hell of a price to pay for a 1 dimensional player.

4 hours ago, Weave said:

He needs a James Patrick or Teppo Numminen.

Amen brother.  

It would be ridiculous to trade him.  He needs better coaching which he is hopefully now getting.  He would benefit greatly from a mentor type defenseman.   Most guys of the ilk listed above will still be getting opportunities to play on playoff teams but if Adams can find one he should.  Power will need help too.  

When Psysk started playing with Dahlin the kid’s game got better.  The last two games he has had several gaffes, times when he just didn’t do enough.  He plays a lot of minutes on a very poor team.   It’s hard to shine in that environment.  

Do NOT trade Dahlin.  Instead figure out how to help him and Power.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Weave said:

My concern is if the team doesn’t get his D game dialed in soon, he becomes a Housley type player that can’t be trusted on the ice in close games.

I suppose if Mule and Power meet expectations it won’t matter, but 1OAL is a hell of a price to pay for a 1 dimensional player.

Phil Housley takes offense to this. Dahlin  isn’t even in the same ballpark offensively as Housley.  In their own end…yes, neither could be trusted. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Actually I do. First, his gaffes are spectacular. Second, he has many mini-gaffes that don't result in bad goals but might end a Sabres offensive rush or stall a break out. The kind of things people might gloss over.  He allows himself to get cornered with the puck. And he's not strong enough to win battles in the corners. So yeah, in my view he's a larger net negative than other Sabres defensemen.

50 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Amen brother.  

It would be ridiculous to trade him.  He needs better coaching which he is hopefully now getting.  He would benefit greatly from a mentor type defenseman.   Most guys of the ilk listed above will still be getting opportunities to play on playoff teams but if Adams can find one he should.  Power will need help too.  

When Psysk started playing with Dahlin the kid’s game got better.  The last two games he has had several gaffes, times when he just didn’t do enough.  He plays a lot of minutes on a very poor team.   It’s hard to shine in that environment.  

Do NOT trade Dahlin.  Instead figure out how to help him and Power.  

Then where is the outrage towards KA and DG for not pairing Dahlin with the correct partner that goes well with his style, and can cover up for his defensive shortcomings?

All I hear is how RK screwed up Dahlin. 

Edited by LabattBlue

He's making mistakes that have nothing to do with the so called pressures of being a 1st over all pick, or being labeled a 1st pairing d man or a generational talent for that matter.

The truth is, he's playing more bad hockey than good, and the bad hockey is actually hurting the team. Many of his mistakes have changed the momentum of games, changed the team strategy, for example, playing from behind as opposed to playing equal or ahead. These type of scenarios, whether you acknowledge it as such or not are in fact, happening. And the mistakes are not irregular, they are happening on a regular basis at a good clip.

My personal opinion, move him. Others want more time for him, completely understandable, I just don't agree is all.

Edited by Scottysabres

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

This is exactly how I feel.

i can't get over the fact that 1 in 4 people would give up on him at 21 when there are countless examples of guys took until at least till 24 to become legit 1Dmen.

If you are looking for Dahlin to be a shutdown all situation type, you are going to end up extremely disappointed. 

If you want him to turn into a 70pt plus Dman, who will always will always be susceptible tp  turnovers and defensive lapses due to the high risk, high reward type of game he plays, then just be patient.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Then where is the outrage towards KA and DG for not pairing Dahlin with the correct partner that goes well with his style, and can cover up for his defensive shortcomings?

All I hear is how RK screwed up Dahlin. 

He started the season playing with Joker.   Joker got hurt and then he played with Butcher.  That didn’t work, it gave Butcher too much ice time.    He moved Psysk to Dahlin’s line which is a better pairing.   

I don’t think RK did long term damage to Dahlin or to any player.  His antiquated system did not fit the NHL, and it held back talented players like Dahlin.   That is over now.  

Dahlin has to keep working on his game and he will get better.  Keeping him mentally ready to play 24 minutes a night is a challenge and having some solid vets to work with him would be a plus.  

People talk about trading Psysk, Hagg and Miller at the deadline.  I am not for that.   For next year I think we need at least 2  solid NHL veterans to support Dahlin (21), Jokiharu (22) and Power (19).    

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

People talk about trading Psysk, Hagg and Miller at the deadline.  I am not for that.   For next year I think we need at least 2  solid NHL veterans to support Dahlin (21), Jokiharu (22) and Power (19).    

Next year you'll have:

Dahlin, 22

Jokiharju, 23

Power, 20 (in November)

Samuelsson, 22

I think the idea of 2 older veterans is smart. 

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

i can't get over the fact that 1 in 4 people would give up on him at 21 when there are countless examples of guys took until at least till 24 to become legit 1Dmen.

If you are looking for Dahlin to be a shutdown all situation type, you are going to end up extremely disappointed. 

If you want him to turn into a 70pt plus Dman, who will always will always be susceptible tp  turnovers and defensive lapses due to the high risk, high reward type of game he plays, then just be patient.

You are not going to convince anyone to see it your way if they aren’t already there. It’s useless.

I can see Dahlin developing into a Erik Karlsson/Drew Doughty/Brent Burns hybrid. I don’t EXPECT him to get 70+ points, but hell if he can grab you 50 pts. on average, AND be a net positive d-man, that would be wonderful. Those that want more snarl and physicality like another Risto type, will never ever be happy with Dahlin. He’s just not like that. Too bad so sad. I hope he figures out the defensive part more. Angles, timing, and positional awareness are things he’s still figuring out. And I’m glad he’s still developing. At 21, he has a few more years before he’s a “finished product” (god that’s so overused).

6 hours ago, inkman said:

I’m not sure I’ve witnessed a player lead to short handed goals in a period that came directly off his stick and ended up in the net immediately.  Rasmus has a special way of ensuring his mistakes are at the worst time in the worst area of the ice. 

This is fixable. Take him off the PP until he learns not to be a liability. Let him sit and watch from the bench for the next month. I would rather fail to score goals on the PP than give up SH goals. I’m fact, I don’t think Granato has a choice here. Other teams likely have taken notice and are going to attack him just the same. He’s a weak link. 

4 minutes ago, kas23 said:

This is fixable. Take him off the PP until he learns not to be a liability. Let him sit and watch from the bench for the next month. I would rather fail to score goals on the PP than give up SH goals. I’m fact, I don’t think Granato has a choice here. Other teams likely have taken notice and are going to attack him just the same. He’s a weak link. 

You are thinking like someone who is trying to win every game at all costs (nothing wrong with that).  The disconnect is the Sabres (and Granato) probably WANT to win every game, but they are more interested in young player development.  Granato has said multiple times on the radio and in interviews he is currently willing to let young players make mistakes so they can learn from them (apparently even if it costs goals).

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

You are not going to convince anyone to see it your way if they aren’t already there. It’s useless.

I can see Dahlin developing into a Erik Karlsson/Drew Doughty/Brent Burns hybrid. I don’t EXPECT him to get 70+ points, but hell if he can grab you 50 pts. on average, AND be a net positive d-man, that would be wonderful. Those that want more snarl and physicality like another Risto type, will never ever be happy with Dahlin. He’s just not like that. Too bad so sad. I hope he figures out the defensive part more. Angles, timing, and positional awareness are things he’s still figuring out. And I’m glad he’s still developing. At 21, he has a few more years before he’s a “finished product” (god that’s so overused).

Maybe over used but it’s true  
I still believe that he will eventually put up 70+.  As both he and the team improve 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.