Does Rasmus Dahlin need a change of scenery?

inkman

Does Rasmus Dahlin need a change of scenery?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think # 26 needs?

• A fresh start somewhere else without the pressure of being a first overall pick
    • Time to develop, he’s only 21.

Since all threads are getting polluted with Dahlin discourse, let’s bring it all in. What you say?  

I personally think a change of scenery might be in order.  He’s wearing out his welcome here. Once they get reliable goaltending, he’s going to cost them games.  Find another teams high draft pick that’s also struggling and do the old swaparoo.  

2 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

It is so depressing to even think about this. I was more excited when we won Dahlin than I was about Eichel. How could someone who was hyped up to be the best D prospect in 30 years end up looking like he does not belong in the NHL?

Bad coaching and a dumpster fire of an environment to start his career. Really, really hoping we haven't ruined him already.

How about no, let's not chase out talent every time they make a mistake or if they don't come off the shelf as 75 point players.

There isn't another similar supposed "struggling" youngster even worth mentioning for a former 1st overall.

Let him learn and grow; if he's a bust then I'd rather go down on that ship then abandon ship for the allure of some other leaking vessel. 

3 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

It is so depressing to even think about this. I was more excited when we won Dahlin than I was about Eichel. How could someone who was hyped up to be the best D prospect in 30 years end up looking like he does not belong in the NHL?

Because he is 21 and playing on the worst team in the NHL.  

None of our players look like they belong in the NHL.  NONE!!

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

What he needs is time in Rochester. Same reason we are keeping Peterka and Quinn down on the farm. But with his contract is that even a possibility? Granato should at least sit him down a game or two.

Nope.  He cannot be sent to the minors under his current contract.  Players used to go down on conditioning assignments  usually slotted for players coming back from injury.  I’m sure it was manipulated in the past.  Not sure if it’s still allowed under the CBA.  

Just now, bunomatic said:

I’m not seeing anything unusually bad from Rasmus that I’m not seeing from every other guy on this team. 

I’m not sure I’ve witnessed a player lead to short handed goals in a period that came directly off his stick and ended up in the net immediately.  Rasmus has a special way of ensuring his mistakes are at the worst time in the worst area of the ice. 

• Like (+1) 2

Dahlin needs to fix his short area quickness. 

Here is a great article on what Hedman did. 

https://theathletic.com/1983489/2020/08/17/behind-the-workouts-that-were-a-game-changer-for-the-lightnings-victor-hedman/

The Lightning defenseman was 22 years old, had just wrapped up his fourth NHL season and was staring at another long offseason in his hometown of Ornskoldsvik, Sweden. He had established himself as a mainstay on the Lightning’s blueline, averaging more than 20 minutes per game, and was part of a run to the Eastern Conference final in his second season. But two playoff-less seasons had followed.

But Hedman wasn’t always this way. He said the way he transformed his offseason workout regimen seven years ago was a game-changer for him. He overhauled his workouts, which were tailored to him by Dettner. Those workouts focused on explosiveness, quick feet and agility and helped Hedman more than keep up with a game that’s gotten faster every year. He’s just as strong in his last shift as his first, including in Tuesday’s herculean 57 minute, 38 second performance in the Lightning’s five overtime victory.

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

I’m not seeing anything unusually bad from Rasmus that I’m not seeing from every other guy on this team. 

He's not a saviour and he will be resented for it until he is, or until the team gets good enough that it doesn't matter.

Personally I think it is silly to sit a player like him in favour of Wolanin or Butcher (or Hagg, or Miller or Bryson or Jokiharju or Pysyk)  — counterproductive to both his development and to the team's chances of winning.

But to many he will be held to a different standard.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What he needs is time in Rochester. Same reason we are keeping Peterka and Quinn down on the farm. But with his contract is that even a possibility? Granato should at least sit him down a game or two.

He wouldn't clear waivers.  He's no longer waiver-exempt.

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m not sure I’ve witnessed a player lead to short handed goals in a period that came directly off his stick and ended up in the net immediately.  Rasmus has a special way of ensuring his mistakes are at the worst time in the worst area of the ice. 

He’s had some doozies for sure but this is a ***** team with ***** goaltending. Your goalie should bail you out occasionally. 

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He's not a saviour and he will be resented for it until he is, or until the team gets good enough that it doesn't matter.

This is exactly it.  He's the guy we tore the team down to the studs to build around.  We should be just building, not building around him.  I think that's the intent and the team will get good enough that it doesn't matter.

At this point since he is struggling and can't bump down to the A for some instructional play, I think Donny Meatballs needs to bring in a D whisperer to correct Dahlin's negative tendencies and unlock his talent, and take the pressure off him by not playing him 23+ minutes per game.  Maybe give him 17-18 protected minutes and let him grow back into 20+ eventually.

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

This is exactly it.  He's the guy we tore the team down to the studs to build around.  We should be just building, not building around him.  I think that's the intent and the team will get good enough that it doesn't matter.

At this point since he is struggling and can't bump down to the A for some instructional play, I think Donny Meatballs needs to bring in a D whisperer to correct Dahlin's negative tendencies and unlock his talent, and take the pressure off him by not playing him 23+ minutes per game.  Maybe give him 17-18 protected minutes and let him grow back into 20+ eventually.

Or just do what he's been doing and pushing him to play his game, attack, learn from his mistakes and have fun and grow into his role. Not being Krueger/Smith and handcuffing him and making him think too much or play away from his strengths.

Donnie told you all what he was going to do and he's doing it. And Dahlin has been better for it.

Last week, Rasmus was riding an 8-game streak streak of being a near-point-a-game plus player while getting the most minutes on the team, but no one was talking about it. He has an awful period and we get a thread about trading or benching or sending him to the minors.

It's sad.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Or just do what he's been doing and pushing him to play his game, attack, learn from his mistakes and have fun and grow into his role. Not being Krueger/Smith and handcuffing him and making him think too much or play away from his strengths.

Donnie told you all what he was going to do and he's doing it. And Dahlin has been better for it.

Last week, Rasmus was riding an 8-game streak streak of being a near-point-a-game plus player while getting the most minutes on the team, but no one was talking about it. He has an awful period and we get a thread about trading or benching or sending him to the minors.

It's sad.

The thread is only about trading him.  He can't be sent down.  Benching him doesn't really do much.  

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's sad.

I fully expect Dahlin to have more periods like last night. I think in the second half of the year we finally start to see the consistency, don't know if that means he's a star but the talent is there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

needed, as its no longer a possibility  

I actually hope Power goes to the AHL for at least half a season next year.  

They ruined Risto, trying to turn him into something he is not.  

Now Adams wasnt there in Dahlins rookie year, so can't be blamed. Seems to be doing the right thing with Power, Krebs, JJ and Quinn.

I think the change of scenery he needs is for the Sabres to have better players, especially goaltending, around him.  He is still a very talented, and young, player who will be an important part of a winning team here in Buffalo once we get the right other components.

Trading him now would come back to hurt us when we get more (better) players later.  I'd rather he learn from his mistakes here and commit to doing the things he needs to in order to get better as the rest of the team improves.  I don't think he is a bad egg like some others we got rid of may have been.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.