An apology to Dan Dunleavy

PASabreFan

Dan,

I started the thread that questioned your performance in the booth. Although my take was balanced with good and bad; although the replies contained some support for you; although the discussion was generally respectable; and although sportscasters, like players, are fair game for criticism — it clearly was, in retrospect given your comments tonight on the air, the very worst time to have such a discussion. We didn't know.

I started it, and I just deleted it. I feel terrible that this discussion might have added to the stress you're enduring. My best wishes to you and your wife.

–PASabreFan

• Like (+1) 7

One can still I have hopes and prayers for the Dunleavey family for what they are going through…

and still be critical of the actual job that Dan does. I think most posters were doing that in the GDT and the other thread. 

Mrs. Dunleavy

Mrs. Thompson

RJ

and all those past present and future battles. Thoughts and prays.

• Like (+1) 8

Being one of those critical posters about Dan I want to say it's not personal at all. In fact my impression of him is positive as far as him personally. I wish him well and will pray for his wife most certainly as well as Dan and thier family.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Zamboni said:

One can still I have hopes and prayers for the Dunleavey family for what they are going through…

and still be critical of the actual job that Dan does. I think most posters were doing that in the GDT and the other thread. 

Mrs. Dunleavy

Mrs. Thompson

RJ

and all those past present and future battles. Thoughts and prays.

I think the first two sentences can co-exist (and necessarily have to co-exist in a society that values free speech). I also think the following two sentences can co-exist. The thread was fine. Deleting it was the right thing to do.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I think the first two sentences can co-exist (and necessarily have to co-exist in a society that values free speech). I also think the following two sentences can co-exist. The thread was fine. Deleting it was the right thing to do.

I agree with everything you said here.  Especially the deleting of the thread.

If you knew then what you know now you would not have started the thread.  Of that I am sure.  It was not a bad thread, but the timing was such that most would not have posted in it.

The bottom line is many feel that Dan is not doing a great job, but we all are comparing him to one of the all-time greats.  Now is not the time to air the grievances.

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That was a classy thing to do.  It wasn't necessary, but it was gracious.  We need more of that in today's culture.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.