DeBrusk asks Boston for a trade? Any interest?

GASabresIUFAN

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/news/jake-debrusk-requests-trade-from-bruins/ok7okRcYozwo/

LW on the last year of his deal at 3.675 and an RFA at season’s end. Scored 27 a few years ago, but role has shrunk in Boston.  Only 25.  Cassidy isn’t happy with his defensive effort. 

I'm interested if the price is right.  And if I remember correctly from past dealings with Boston, the price for a former MVP is a second-round pick, so the price for DeBrusk had better be a fourth or something.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm interested if the price is right.  And if I remember correctly from past dealings with Boston, the price for a former MVP is a second-round pick, so the price for DeBrusk had better be a fourth or something.

A 5th and they retain salary or take Butcher off our hands.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

10 minutes ago, nucci said:

we do?

In the system, yes.  We have two top-sixers coming off IR and a bevy of scorers in Rochester that will be either later this year or next year.

Still, maybe if the price is right you go for it.  I just don't know what the right price is.  If Boston would take R2 and Butcher as suggested above then sure.  I think they're not gonna jump all over our spare parts though.  I don't trade anyone in Rochester who will be coming up to the NHL anytime soon, and wouldn't trade any primo draft picks either.

I suppose if we trade a pick or two for him, and he plays well, we can get a pick or two back at the deadline if he's not going to sign.

6 hours ago, Berg said:

We lost most of the games not because our forwards was bad... And we will have Tuch and Mittelshtadt soon.

Screenshot_20211130-134355_Chrome.jpg

We do not have ‘enough good forwards’ for any sustainable success. In theory, MAYBE we have ‘enough good forwards’ in terms of potential. But even then, the teams lacked real NHL talent and just shuffled AHLers through the 3rd and 4th line for way too long. 

The team is loaded on young assets right now and has a surplus of cap space, if I could send a 4th or a 5th for a player like Debrusk on an expiring contract, take a flier and see if he turns his game back around, and if you could sign him for a cheap deal, then absolutely. 

At the price Andrew Peters is suggesting on Twitter, a 2nd or maybe even multiple? Absolutely not. Marty on WGR, a 2nd and expecting him to immediately slot in as a ‘piece’ moving forward and pencilling him in as a long term good 3rd liner? I’ll pass. 

Take a flier, see if he makes a difference, and if not then move on. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Berg said:

We lost most of the games not because our forwards was bad... And we will have Tuch and Mittelshtadt soon.

Screenshot_20211130-134355_Chrome.jpg

Oh I agree our goaltending and D aren’t up to snuff which is why I’ve been asking for goalie upgrades for two years, but that doesn’t change the fact that we still have 5 JAGs at forward nearly every game.  Just imagine our offense with 4 good lines.  We also have no firm timetable for the return of Mitts and Tuch. 

The other good thing about grabbing a DeBrusk is that his contract expires at year end but is an RFA.  If he works out we can afford to keep him, if he doesn’t he won’t block any of the kids or if plays well enough we can trade him at the deadline or in the off-season for other assets.  Remember Jbot traded Scandella for a 4th and then he was traded at the deadline for a 2nd.  

Ultimately this is about asset management.  He is an upgrade over what he have now,  we need scoring wingers long-term and have the cap room to taken on his contract.  He won’t be expensive to acquire and is young enough to be part of the future here if things work out.  Otherwise, we also aren’t making a long-term commitment.

This is essential what KA was trying to do with Butcher but with a higher chance of success.  Essentially we got a 5th to take Butcher and most of his contract.  KA was hoping he’d excel with a fresh start and that he was young enough to keep if things worked out or to trade at the deadline for additional assets.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

I would send them 1 of our 2023 2nd round picks + any JAG not named Bjork (not because I like Bjork but I think it's unlikely the Bruins would want him back). I'm also seeing tweets saying that at least 8 teams have reached out - so I don't expect the Sabres to overpay / outbid 1/4 of the league to get him.

1 minute ago, elijah said:

Can someone explain? Seen this term a lot over the past few weeks but haven’t been able to catch the exact acronym

Just Another Guy.  They are Bjork, Wolanin, Hayden, Caggiula, Eakin, and Hinostroza.  Essentially guys who are easily replaced.  Last year we had Sheahan, Irwin, Fogarty, and Rieder.  Miss any of the them?  Didn’t think so.

6 minutes ago, elijah said:

Can someone explain? Seen this term a lot over the past few weeks but haven’t been able to catch the exact acronym

Just Another Guy - essentially roster plugs. Guys who are good enough to play in the NHL but only as fillers. Typically used to stay cap complaint. 

To add to this, these are players who, when you hear them referenced 5 years later elicit a response of, "who?"

Edited by Mustache of God
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.