Sabres - Re-aligning the Leadership

inkman

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Outstanding.

We will never know the damage done when the unnatural leaders on this team gravitated towards the wrong leadership instead of the right kind of leadership exhibited by Gionta and Jorge and brought those lessons into the room when they took on the leadership roles. I think our new young core will see what actual leadership means. I also think the departed players will be more comfortable as players on their new teams now that they aren’t forced into unnatural leadership roles. 

Gorges took a beating those years in Buffalo.

I always appreciated that he played a very tough style every game and never backed down. 

He probably led the NHL in blocks atleast once here too. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

"So you die, Captain, and we all move up in rank.  No one with question the assassination of a Captain who has disobeyed prime orders of The Empire." --- Ensign Pavel Chekov in the alternate universe, Star Trek -- "Mirror, Mirror".

I love the mirror storyline, to bad lazy STD writers killed that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Gorges took a beating those years in Buffalo.

I always appreciated that he played a very tough style every game and never backed down. 

He probably led the NHL in blocks atleast once here too. 

He was the epitome of “hockey character.” Something Bogo and Kane were never remotely familiar with. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Yeah, either way... it doesn't mean he's a "natural leader" of the team.  He's just the new guy.  Let him meet some folks.

I'm not saying he's not a leader, but I just feel like this is way too early to be having the discussion.

Okposo and Girgensons were the primary focus of my post. Annoyed this has turned into an Alex Tuch thread. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Right.  I didn’t draw any.  Maybe you shouldn’t have either.  

Your point is that leadership is being "re-aligned" to something better.  I contend that it doesn't matter if there aren't more W's.  

And, Okposo has been an assistant captain multiple previous seasons.

As for Hamilton, he was calling for Cozens to be the future captain after getting into a fight last season.  I'm not ready to take him at face value with determining team leadership yet. 

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I'm very hopeful for Tuch and I think there is a good possibility he will be a strong leader, but really, to call him a leader before he's even stepped on the ice in a real game is putting the cart before the horse.

And among the fan base it's even scarier:  Are we that desperate to have a messiah that every strong player that walks in the door is a future captain?  I thought part of the problem with Eichel was assuming he was going to solve all the team's problems.... and now that mantle falls on Tuch?  Okay, sure.

Seriously, have a little patience and let it play out. 

Of course it will play out on its own.   Yuri, you must be gun shy from past disappointment.  

Tuch is not being anointed but it appears he is putting himself out there and willing to step forward.  Non leaders sit back and wait for others.  Leaders get out in front and take charge.  They don’t need an A or  a C on their sweater either.  

From what we are reading and seeing, Tuch will be a guy that puts himself out there.  That is great to see.  We want as many players like that as possible.  

• Like (+1) 4

28 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Your point is that leadership is being "re-aligned" to something better.  I contend that it doesn't matter if there aren't more W's.  

And, Okposo has been an assistant captain multiple previous seasons.

As for Hamilton, he was calling for Cozens to be the future captain after getting into a fight last season.  I'm not ready to take him at face value with determining team leadership yet. 

Okposo had to take a backseat to Eichel.  I think he’s in a better position to lead without having Jack around. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

He was the epitome of “hockey character.” Something Bogo and Kane were never remotely familiar with. 

For whatever reason those lessons were lost back then. It's been speculated and debated but this isn't really about that period in time. 

It's my hope that the new leadership mentioned in the OP will keep these guys interested in the right way of doing things. 

Meatballs mentioned before the season that winning was the goal but more importantly  than that, learning how to win and being put in all situations to see how you react and learn from them. 

That's how you build winners IMO

Girgensons and Okposo seem to have everyone engaged on the team.

Having Murray lead the stretch the other day and Tuck today is just another example of it. 

I hope the lessons stick better this time around. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Okposo and Girgensons were the primary focus of my post. Annoyed this has turned into an Alex Tuch thread. 

They are Josh Gorges and Brian Gionta v2.  Okposo has had a successful enough career to be a role model to the skill guys. He can relate to them.  And Girgs, he's just a consummate pro, the Gorges role.  They are the only likeable personalities IMO in the last decade.  I'm glad they survived through this.

It's a good thing this time we don't have a couple of pre-ordained saviours to ignore the guys who have been there before.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Tuch bandwagon has no room for doubters. Get on or get out of the way. Yee haw

Its evident in the way he talks, participates to date, and how Vegas looks lost since he left. 

I'll be honest I haven't seen the interviews; prolly need to watch them.  But even without watching them, he seems 1,234% more engaged with the team while he's out on IR than the previous captain, who didn't even pay lip service to the team.  So.... reason to be hopeful.

5 hours ago, inkman said:

HOLY ***** THIS IS NOT A ***** ALEX TUCH THREAD.  ***** GRT HIS NAME OUT YOUR FINGER TIPS.  

Sorry Fireplace GIF by South Park

20 hours ago, dudacek said:

Cozens better not get a sniff of a letter prior to turning 23 or leading the team in scoring, whichever comes first.

He's a great kid, but let's not force another kid into a formal leadership role, especially one who has to work on his own game first.

The Sabres seem determined to let the position happen organically, yet another example of Adams/Granato not repeating the mistakes of their predecessors.

i agree with @inkman, people seem to be missing the point of his thread.

On the above points from @dudacek:

Cozens's age and stats don't matter to me.  Jim Schoenfeld was a teenager and captained the team to the finals.

The second point is the more important one:  let it happen naturally.  To me, this means let the team vote for its captains.  But I've been saying that here at least since The Sabres Report days.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Eleven said:

On the above points from @dudacek:

Cozens's age and stats don't matter to me.  Jim Schoenfeld was a teenager and captained the team to the finals.

The second point is the more important one:  let it happen naturally.  To me, this means let the team vote for its captains.  But I've been saying that here at least since The Sabres Report days.

Have you seen Cozens? 

Great kid, but the only difference between him and that kid bagging your groceries is a rare ability to skate and shoot. He is a boy. It’s a rare 20-year-old who has what it takes to command a winning NHL hockey team.

It’s a rarer one who can do that while playing on the third line and trying to prove himself as something more.

(And, for the record, Schoeny was 23 when he captained his team to the finals.)

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Have you seen Cozens? 

Great kid, but the only difference between him and that kid bagging your groceries is a rare ability to skate and shoot. He is a boy. It’s a rare 20-year-old who has what it takes to command a winning NHL hockey team.

It’s a rarer one who can do that while playing on the third line and trying to prove himself as something more.

(And, for the record, Schoeny was 23 when he captained his team to the finals.)

PA bags my groceries.

But I really did think Schoeny was younger when he became captain.

IN any event, age/stats really don't matter to me and I still think the team should vote.

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Eleven said:

PA bags my groceries.

But I really did think Schoeny was younger when he became captain.

IN any event, age/stats really don't matter to me and I still think the team should vote.

I think Schoeny was 23.  Very young, but HNIC announcers marvelled at his leadership.  Gare took over at 24.

I personally think the players should vote for Captain.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.