Sabres - Re-aligning the Leadership

inkman

On 11/29/2021 at 12:57 PM, inkman said:

With the departures of Eichel, Reino & Risto; the Sabres leadership has shifted back to their natural leaders Kyle Okposo, Zemgus Girgensons and newcomer Alex Tuch.  With the young talent on the roster, this shift works in so many ways.  Kyle, Girgs and Tuch are natural leaders (based on second hand info) that Casey, Dylan, Rasmus and essentially all the players can look to on how to behave like a professional.  I don't think the kids had this support system prior to this season with the old regime in place.  I think this re-alignment has had a hand in the Sabres "success" this season.  Paul Hamilton admitted as much on Sports Talk Saturday this past weekend in the first hour.  

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/podcasts/sports-talk-saturday-with-nate-geary-20271/11-27-sports-talk-saturday-with-nate-geary-hr-1-984654513

Seeing Alex Tuch leading the team stretch this morning is more affirmation that the pieces are falling into their proper place.  

Outstanding.

We will never know the damage done when the unnatural leaders on this team gravitated towards the wrong leadership instead of the right kind of leadership exhibited by Gionta and Gorges and brought those lessons into the room when they took on the leadership roles. I think our new young core will see what actual leadership means. I also think the departed players will be more comfortable as players on their new teams now that they aren’t forced into unnatural leadership roles. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 2

This is great news.

Finally we are rid of the stray kids.  I suppose we can't blame them for following the wrong crowd when the effort to bring in quality leaders was followed with the bringing in of the exact opposite and much younger, so the youth gravitated to Bogo and Kane instead of Gionta and Jorges.

• Like (+1) 2

I find it very odd that before Alex Tuch has played a single minute in the blue & gold that he's being hailed as a leader.

Strange days indeed.

31 minutes ago, inkman said:

Seeing Alex Tuch leading the team stretch this morning is a nice way to welcome the new guy.  

fify

Geeze, people are reading a lot into this.

• Like (+1) 3

New does not always mean better.  And talent is still more important than replacement level players with strong character.  

Buffalo is 25th overall with Girgensons and Okposo at the quarter pole, or about the best they did in a season with Reinhart/Ristolainen/Eichel in 2015-16, 2016-17, 2018-19, and 2019-20.

Rebuild is still a work in progress and no need to make conclusions until it plays out a couple years.   

21 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I find it very odd that before Alex Tuch has played a single minute in the blue & gold that he's being hailed as a leader.

Strange days indeed.

fify

21 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Strange days indeed.

fify

7 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

New does not always mean better.  And talent is still more important than replacement level players with strong character.  

Buffalo is 25th overall with Girgensons and Okposo at the quarter pole, or about the best they did in a season with Reinhart/Ristolainen/Eichel in 2015-16, 2016-17, 2018-19, and 2019-20.

Rebuild is still a work in progress and no need to make conclusions until it plays out a couple years.   

Piss meet cheerios 

22 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Strange days indeed.

fify

He’s been with the team.  

8 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Did you bother listening to the audio?  Have you watched the guys interact with one another?  This is a different team.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Strange days indeed.

fify

I think its in large part due to what he has been saying along with his history regarding the Sabres. He's a strong willed player who plays hard and will play hard for the crest regardless due to a prior attachment to the franchise.

He also is effectively "one of us" in that he was a fan of the Sabres growing up and has many fond memories of 05-06 and such. Thus, Tuch fits what most fans would love in a leader off of the ice. A relentless player with a personal passion for the team he plays for that isn't created or produced through money or role but rather personal history. You feel certain that his loyalties lie with the team and the fanbase as a whole.

It's akin to why Josh Allen has become so beloved in the area. His story resonates with our city's underdog passion and Josh has embraced the city and its culture in turn. He may still live in California in the offseason; but you never feel any sense of superiority against or distaste for Buffalo. Its difficult for any player to effectively become a "Buffalonian" in the eyes of the populace. They either must live here for a long period of time and thus become a common sight around town or embrace it by other means while not needlessly throwing the city or its people into a woodchipper in the public and private spheres.  

For instance part of the city's distrust of Eichel came from the rumors of his overarching desire to play in Boston, and root for New England. Due to those teams being despised in Buffalo; it created an immediate sense of distrust. Had he been from San Francisco and grew up a big Sharks/49er's fan there would of been far less innate fear and distrust by the city against him. Essentially Eichel was behind the 8-ball to start, as any amount of the charity he worked on never came across as anything more than the typical charity work many players do in their cities. 

To wrap this whole thing up, Tuch is already "one of us" and thus will be given far more credence to his words and actions as to his genuine-ness of it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Strange days indeed.

fify

Well, we haven't had ANY leadership with that old group (or at least any GOOD leadership) so I get that people want to latch onto anything even this small. I'm not on the Tuch bandwagon yet, but there is cause for hope there. If he is the local boy who wants to bleed blue and gold for real well then that is something we've missed and will go a long way and hopefully become infectious. 

In a few years I would not be surprised (or disappointed) if our letters were on the jerseys of Tuch, Cozens and Power. 

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Right.  I didn’t draw any.  Maybe you shouldn’t have either.  

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well, we haven't had ANY leadership with that old group (or at least any GOOD leadership) so I get that people want to latch onto anything even this small. I'm not on the Tuch bandwagon yet, but there is cause for hope there. If he is the local boy who wants to bleed blue and gold for real well then that is something we've missed and will go a long way and hopefully become infectious. 

In a few years I would not be surprised (or disappointed) if our letters were on the jerseys of Tuch, Cozens and Power. 

Just asking because of how you phrased this.  Did you watch/listen to Tuch’s introductory presser, his interview with Marty and Duff on the instigators, or his interview with Peters and Rivet on their Afterthe Whistle podcast?

If you have not, you should.  He comes across as completely genuine and a true fan of the Sabres.  I’m not sure he could fake that.

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I think its in large part due to what he has been saying along with his history regarding the Sabres. He's a strong willed player who plays hard and will play hard for the crest regardless due to a prior attachment to the franchise.

He also is effectively "one of us" in that he was a fan of the Sabres growing up and has many fond memories of 05-06 and such. Thus, Tuch fits what most fans would love in a leader off of the ice. A relentless player with a personal passion for the team he plays for that isn't created or produced through money or role but rather personal history. You feel certain that his loyalties lie with the team and the fanbase as a whole.

It's akin to why Josh Allen has become so beloved in the area. His story resonates with our city's underdog passion and Josh has embraced the city and its culture in turn. He may still live in California in the offseason; but you never feel any sense of superiority against or distaste for Buffalo. Its difficult for any player to effectively become a "Buffalonian" in the eyes of the populace. They either must live here for a long period of time and thus become a common sight around town or embrace it by other means while not needlessly throwing the city or its people into a woodchipper in the public and private spheres.  

For instance part of the city's distrust of Eichel came from the rumors of his overarching desire to play in Boston, and root for New England. Due to those teams being despised in Buffalo; it created an immediate sense of distrust. Had he been from San Francisco and grew up a big Sharks/49er's fan there would of been far less innate fear and distrust by the city against him. Essentially Eichel was behind the 8-ball to start, as any amount of the charity he worked on never came across as anything more than the typical charity work many players do in their cities. 

To wrap this whole thing up, Tuch is already "one of us" and thus will be given far more credence to his words and actions as to his genuine-ness of it. 

Sorry, but how about if we let this play out instead of pre-ordaining it?

Kyle Okposo, Zemgus Girgensons, and Alex Tuch give me the vibe of "natural leader" -- people whom others in the dressing room will follow.  I felt Eichel and Reinhart had some of it, but their process was sabotaged in Buffalo.  I point to Pominville telling Eichel, "you're the new captain, you lead the drills."  This was very disturbing -- if even I knew this, why didn't Eichel?  How did he fail to learn this lesson from Gionta, Gorges, Moulson, and O'Reilly?  They all clearly knew and did this part -- you could see it in the warm-ups that they were trying to lead by example.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Radar said:

Seems no one can say anything in a positive sense here witbout the same posters not just letting it be but have a need to needlessly dampen anything positive. Just sayin.

I'm very hopeful for Tuch and I think there is a good possibility he will be a strong leader, but really, to call him a leader before he's even stepped on the ice in a real game is putting the cart before the horse.

And among the fan base it's even scarier:  Are we that desperate to have a messiah that every strong player that walks in the door is a future captain?  I thought part of the problem with Eichel was assuming he was going to solve all the team's problems.... and now that mantle falls on Tuch?  Okay, sure.

Seriously, have a little patience and let it play out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Curt said:

Just asking because of how you phrased this.  Did you watch/listen to Tuch’s introductory presser, his interview with Marty and Duff on the instigators, or his interview with Peters and Rivet on their Afterthe Whistle podcast?

If you have not, you should.  He comes across as completely genuine and a true fan of the Sabres.  I’m not sure he could fake that.

Oh I heard it, and I hear you, and I believe it's true, and I want it to be true, BUT I also know in this day and age athletes get coached by agents and they say the right thing and I'm skeptical of everything with the Sabres at this point so I simply want to see it. When I see him on the ice, how he plays, how he reacts, how he interacts, then I will feel that I know for sure if it's real or not. 

I think it will be. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I'm very hopeful for Tuch and I think there is a good possibility he will be a strong leader, but really, to call him a leader before he's even stepped on the ice in a real game is putting the cart before the horse.

And among the fan base it's even scarier:  Are we that desperate to have a messiah that every strong player that walks in the door is a future captain?  I thought part of the problem with Eichel was assuming he was going to solve all the team's problems.... and now that mantle falls on Tuch?  Okay, sure.

Nope.  The mantle fell to Kyle and Z.  The letter wearing leaders of this squad. Tuch will chip in, if he’s so inclined. The whole point of this thread is that the guys that are now leading are the ones that are supposed to be leading. Jack, Sam and Risto weren’t those guys at this stage of their careers.  

• Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I understand. Just at times a comment can be let alone. 

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

This is great news.

Finally we are rid of the stray kids.  I suppose we can't blame them for following the wrong crowd when the effort to bring in quality leaders was followed with the bringing in of the exact opposite and much younger, so the youth gravitated to Bogo and Kane instead of Gionta and Jorges.

Probably made O'Reilly sick of being in  'hockey heaven' .   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Strange days indeed.

fify

Perhaps he asked to lead the stretch?  Its his first day on ice with the team, he probably doesn't know the players that well etc.  

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

I find that the most effective way to anoint someone Captain is to Force-choke the previous Captain out of existence.

"So you die, Captain, and we all move up in rank.  No one with question the assassination of a Captain who has disobeyed prime orders of The Empire." --- Ensign Pavel Chekov in the alternate universe, Star Trek -- "Mirror, Mirror".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.