GDT: Seattle at Buffalo-November 29, 2021-7pm-MSG, ESPN+, WGR550

Brawndo

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

Branden Tanev is bigger, stronger and faster than Dahlin.... not to make excuses but he's not good enough defensively yet to handle a guy like that 1-on-1 when he has a step on him.    It is what it is... he'll be better for it.     Also, IMO he did do enough to disrupt him... you'd expect a save there with average NHL goaltending.  

As you point out Tanev basically out-muscled him and Dahlin struggled to keep up. He's certainly not a finished product. And he has the raw skills where there is more  room to grow. From my vantage he's the least of this team's problems. There are occasions where our defense puts the goalie in a vulnerable situation; and there are situations where the goalie doesn't do enough to support the defense. This team needs more additions starting with the backstops. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Branden Tanev is bigger, stronger and faster than Dahlin.... not to make excuses but he's not good enough defensively yet to handle a guy like that 1-on-1 when he has a step on him.    It is what it is... he'll be better for it.     Also, IMO he did do enough to disrupt him... you'd expect a save there with average NHL goaltending, and in that case were not even discussing this.

Dahlin is 3 inches taller  and weights 27 pounds more than Tanev.   Tanev might be stronger since he is 29 and full grown.  He might even be faster, I doubt that he is though.   Dahlin, now in his 4 year, should be able to handle  a bottom 6 journeyman forward like Tanev.   You are sounding like Tanev is Tom Wilson, he is not.   I expect every defenseman on the team to make that play   

I do contend that the goaltending was below par on all three of the plays were Dahlin did not fully engage the shooter.  

20 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Dahlin is 3 inches taller  and weights 27 pounds more than Tanev.   Tanev might be stronger since he is 29 and full grown. He might even be faster, I doubt that he is though.  Dahlin, now in his 4 year, should be able to handle  a bottom 6 journeyman forward like Tanev.   You are sounding like Tanev is Tom Wilson, he is not.   I expect every defenseman on the team to make that play   

I do contend that the goaltending was below par on all three of the plays were Dahlin did not fully engage the shooter.  

There is absolutely no question that Tanev, who is quite fast, is faster than Dahlin, who is not, and who has downright slow acceleration 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

There is absolutely no question that Tanev, who is quite fast, is faster than Dahlin, who is not, and who has downright slow acceleration 

So now Dahlin is not good enough to defend the almighty Tanev?    My how the scouts missed on this one!!!  Is everyone losing their minds?  

Dahlin is plenty fast enough to play in the NHL and play big minutes.  He does not have slow acceleration either.   His speed is deceptive, and his acceleration in any direction is more than adequate.   Skating fast in a straight line does not make a great NHL defenseman either.  

I looked at the video several times and Dahlin is plenty fast enough, and plenty strong enough, to defend that play against Tanev - a guy who is nothing more than a bottom 6 winger - or anyone else for that matter.    

Dahlin should make that play 10 out of 10 times, but he messed up on several fronts.  First in the offensive zone by missing the easy pass to VO, and again in the neutral zone by not playing the body right away.   He is actually much bigger than Tanev, someday he must learn to use his size for leverage.   If he did that he would have stopped the rush in the neutral zone.  

He just needs to keep working on his game so that play becomes routine because it should have been.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 11:47 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

😄

I was watching a bit of the Seattle Edmonton game last night on HNIC and they brought up how popular Tanev has been with the Seattle fan base and then they brought up him chirping Skinner about his contract in the last Sabres game.  Love the trash talk but surprised that it's about a contract.  Maybe he's a Sabres fan deep down.  😏

Surprised to see this GDT pop back up.

The game stunk, but yours truly got a free shirt on the jumbotron, so it was all OK in the end.  😉

And it was the biggest crowd of the year because Roswell gave out a ton of tickets.  Minus those, it would've been another typical Monday attendance.  (And, no, currently no personal ties to Roswell at present.)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.