GDT: Seattle at Buffalo-November 29, 2021-7pm-MSG, ESPN+, WGR550

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Well that was absolutely turdable to watch.  The Kraken make the Sabres look like a brand new franchise. Every game it becomes harder to find a nugget of positive to take away. Nada. Nope. I got nothin.

At some point it is going to be the same for the guys on the ice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Defense overall played poorly in front of Tokarski as well.  

I agree

22 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Which goals would you say are on Tokarski?

We failed to control rebounds on the 2 and 3rd goals.  He also didn’t cover up on the 5th goal.  He also shouldn’t get beat on slapshots he can see like on the 1st goal. Yes, he didn’t get much of help, but rebound control has been an issue of his for his career.

This characterization that Seattle should be awful because they are an expansion team is a horrible take. They took a middle roster player from every team in the NHL.  By definition, they should have talent equivalent to a team ranked in the teens.

An update to your characterization of expansion teams is long overdue.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

I like Cozens and Kyle together.  That seems like a really good mentoring arrangement. 

I'm going to go one step further and say I'd like to see Murray stay up with the big club on that line. Murray is still a work in progress but he adds a dimension this team lacks and that was our best line tonight. Give him more time to adjust and jell, teach him a little more aggressiveness and we might just have an unexpected piece added. 

Once again I am even more convinced that Dahlin is mentally slow. When under pressure he gets confused, hesitates and that's the end of that. Team failed to recognize this flaw and developed him poorly. He needs to make quick instinctive plays and not have to think. Needs a huge step backwards or he will be flawed forever. and Jokiharju isn't much better.

Cane we get a Tanev somewhere? We need that. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We failed to control rebounds on the 2 and 3rd goals.  He also didn’t cover up on the 5th goal.  He also shouldn’t get beat on slapshots he can see like on the 1st goal. Yes, he didn’t get much of help, but rebound control has been an issue of his for his career.

The third goal was completely defensive positioning. Jokiharu had a horrible game.  There wasn’t a Sabres player in sight for McCanns goal.  I mean crazy open.  Joki was literally above the circle ️.   But the tandem of poor goaltending and weak defense has them second last to Montreal in goals against.  Serious regression.  I wouldn’t be opposed to moving on from any current D men for next year.  Tabula Rasa.  

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm going to go one step further and say I'd like to see Murray stay up with the big club on that line. Murray is still a work in progress but he adds a dimension this team lacks and that was our best line tonight. Give him more time to adjust and jell, teach him a little more aggressiveness and we might just have an unexpected piece added. 

Once again I am even more convinced that Dahlin is mentally slow. When under pressure he gets confused, hesitates and that's the end of that. Team failed to recognize this flaw and developed him poorly. He needs to make quick instinctive plays and not have to think. Needs a huge step backwards or he will be flawed forever. and Jokiharju isn't much better.

Cane we get a Tanev somewhere? We need that. 

I don't think he's mentally slow; I'd actually say its the opposite; he's overthinking plays. It started with Krueger who filled his mind with 50 different things. 

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Actually there were over 10K (tickets distributed.)

Not trying to start an argument here but realistically thats a little more than half full and its not actual attendance

BTW - I'm there almost every game, we haven't come close to half full yet

its amazing how we forget what we used to be because its been so long

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Which goals would you say are on Tokarski?

Tokarski isn't the reason they lost tonight, but 99.9% of the time it is valid to expect one more save when your goals against is 5 or more. This is a recurring pattern for the Sabres and it's not all because of defense. Goaltending was quite obviously a massive question mark heading into the season. This is the second time in a row Kevyn has kneecapped his team with the goaltending situation, and the fragility and lack of depth that is causing this team to lose games it could probably win is entirely his fault. I get that "he didn't expect Ullmark to leave" and whatever else tom says about the summer, but for two consecutive years the goaltending situation is untenable. You have to do better than he has here. We are nearing a dangerous inflection point where the kids are going to start getting demoralized knowing that they need 5 to have a chance any given night. And yes, Tokarski has been just fine as a whole this year. But the 40 year old predictably got banged up quickly and Tokarski is not a starter, and his backup shouldn't be in the league. This is just a ridiculous, unacceptable situation 

Dahlin is bad at hockey. In a sane world (not just one with better Sabres management, but one in which players were better-developed across the league and expectations for 1OAs aren't what they are, which has also hurt guys like Hischier and the Rags picks) this year could be his rookie year and his strength and confidence and overall game would probably look a lot different. I know that sounds crazy, but this guy is not an NHL defender as is, so it obviously isn't that crazy. I don't buy that guys will always hit their ceiling if you give them enough time, and I think it didn't have to go this way for Dahlin. At least he allowed us to tear it down to the studs 4 years ago or something. The good news is that Tage was bad at hockey too, until he wasn't anymore. I don't do anything with Dahlin except shelter him, coach him up, and let time go by. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.