GDT-11/27/21:The Buffalo Sabres versus The Detroit Red Wings, with the latter being the Home Team. Puck Drop 1am CET(11/28), 8:30 pm NST, 8 pm AST 7pm EST, 6pm CST, 5pm MST and 4pm PST. The Game will be broadcast on MSG and will be simulcast on WGR 550.

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Detroit is second in the league in shooting percentage.  They score goals.  They are not a playoff team but are ahead of us by at least a year. 

Offensively yes, but not as a whole. Our D will be ahead of theirs next year when we add Power and Samuelson. Goaltending remains to be seen 🙂

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We need to move past Borgen.  Improving does not mean that you bring back marginal players that can’t make an expansion team.  

Of course, but it'll just be interesting to see. Plus I wouldn't say "can't make an expansion team" as they clearly drafted extra D men and simply have too many. Trade deadline capital. Borgen will be part of that team going forward. 

The style they play will be hard for us to play against.

1 hour ago, Claude Balls said:

It's also the reason they didn't get two points. Gotta take the bad with the good I guess.

They could’ve gotten more miraculous goaltending through the OT and still lost if they didn’t score. They didn’t get two points because they didn’t score more.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Not really. 

It absolutely is. To deny it is to force a narrative. The goaltending for this team sucks. It wasn’t the problem tonight until OT which shouldn’t have been necessary.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

We need to move past Borgen.  Improving does not mean that you bring back marginal players that can’t make an expansion team.  

***** bingo.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Hoss said:

They could’ve gotten more miraculous goaltending through the OT and still lost if they didn’t score. They didn’t get two points because they didn’t score more.

It absolutely is. To deny it is to force a narrative. The goaltending for this team sucks. It wasn’t the problem tonight until OT which shouldn’t have been necessary.

***** bingo.

The narrative you are forcing is the wrong one.  The goaltending sucks and it lost the game once again.  The Red Wings second and third goals were terrible.  Tokarski played good for who he is, and he got a bunch of breaks because the Wings don’t have the skill to hit the wide open net that he consistently leaves behind him.  Dustin Tokarski is 16-24-10 in the NHL.  He is a poor NHL goalie. He is a 32 year old AHL journeyman.  Dell is even worse right now.  

We need better goaltending to advance this program - and that is the only true narrative when it comes to Sabres goaltending.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We need better goaltending to advance this program - and that is the only true narrative when it comes to Sabres goaltending.  

I think I'm finally onboard with your assertion.  I admire they "let the kids work it out" ethic, but they need that foundation of goaltending to lean on.

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The narrative you are forcing is the wrong one.  The goaltending sucks and it lost the game once again.  The Red Wings second and third goals were terrible.  Tokarski played good for who he is, and he got a bunch of breaks because the Wings don’t have the skill to hit the wide open net that he consistently leaves behind him.  Dustin Tokarski is 16-24-10 in the NHL.  He is a poor NHL goalie. He is a 32 year old AHL journeyman.  Dell is even worse right now.  

And this team has had garbage goaltending since forever. These poor kids are playing their ***** off only to lose all these close games because their goaltending blows. And has blown year after year. Why is it so ***** hard to bring in a decent goalie??? It seems like such an easy fix. Is the first thing Pegula tells his new GM's is not to worry about the goaltending?? We need scoring first, we can get a goalie anywhere. Just like drafting a kicker in fantasy. They are the least of your worries. I dunno anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Anything Tokarski did prior to tonight is completely irrelevant to the conversation because it’s about what happened tonight (well, last night). Dell is also irrelevant because he didn’t even play. Tokarski played a good game that should’ve resulted in a win but the team didn’t give him the needed goal support.

As I’ve already stated - the team needs goaltending but last night wasn’t an example of that. Great goalies let in soft ones, too. But if you keep the other team to two goals in regulation you can’t be asked to do much more.

7 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

And this team has had garbage goaltending since forever. These poor kids are playing their ***** off only to lose all these close games because their goaltending blows. And has blown year after year. Why is it so ***** hard to bring in a decent goalie??? It seems like such an easy fix. Is the first thing Pegula tells his new GM's is not to worry about the goaltending?? We need scoring first, we can get a goalie anywhere. Just like drafting a kicker in fantasy. They are the least of your worries. I dunno anymore.

This loss wasn’t on Tokarski.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Kristian said:

Your’re right. His lack of gap control on Raymond in OT was the stuff of legends.

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Dahlin has a real problem with that. I bet he gets better at it though 

Thanks for backing me up, guys. You know better than I do. I'm not a great technical judge of defensive play. But I've watched for 45-ish years, and that didn't look right.

• Like (+1) 3

• SDS unpinned this topic
16 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

More squeeze please.....highly underrated.  For @The Ghost of Doohickie and @The Ghost of Yuri

I've stood some ghostly moments
With natives in the hills
Recorded here on paper
My chills and thrills and spills
Take me I'm yours

Very talented and great tune writers ...

• Like (+1) 1

Disappointing how they didn't take the 2nd point, but overall a reasonable effort.  

2 goals won't get it done most nights, but most nights they still won't face the other team's #1.  (And Nedeljovic particularly sticks in the craw because he was available essentially for free last year & Adams didn't take a flier on him.)

Though that last goal was bad, was more disappointed that Granato didn't challenge the 2nd goal.  Detroit's PP is about as cold as one can get right now, it was worth the risk that they'd say the Wing was pushed into Tokarski as his leg was definitely moved by the contact & that opened his 5 hole.  Don't know how that would've effected the ebb & flow, but at some point he has to stop being afraid of the other team's PP & challenge when there's a 50/50+ shot of it panning out.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

A tie in a back-to-back where the to-back is on the road is a reasonable result.

I have not read the whole thread, so I hope that there is not a lot of nashing of teeth over this.

The late goal to tie in regulation was fine for me.  The goal that Tokarski gave up in OT was not.  It was as routine a save as you can have to make.  Granato chose not to play Dell in the back to back.  

Hoping Anderson gets back and can help

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Disappointing how they didn't take the 2nd point, but overall a reasonable effort.  

2 goals won't get it done most nights, but most nights they still won't face the other team's #1.  (And Nedeljovic particularly sticks in the craw because he was available essentially for free last year & Adams didn't take a flier on him.)

Though that last goal was bad, was more disappointed that Granato didn't challenge the 2nd goal.  Detroit's PP is about as cold as one can get right now, it was worth the risk that they'd say the Wing was pushed into Tokarski as his leg was definitely moved by the contact & that opened his 5 hole.  Don't know how that would've effected the ebb & flow, but at some point he has to stop being afraid of the other team's PP & challenge when there's a 50/50+ shot of it panning out.

You'd risk another power play after two quick goals? Was that challenge a slam dunk? No and no. It was not obviously GI. Granato did the right thing.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

Anything Tokarski did prior to tonight is completely irrelevant to the conversation because it’s about what happened tonight (well, last night). Dell is also irrelevant because he didn’t even play. Tokarski played a good game that should’ve resulted in a win but the team didn’t give him the needed goal support.

As I’ve already stated - the team needs goaltending but last night wasn’t an example of that. Great goalies let in soft ones, too. But if you keep the other team to two goals in regulation you can’t be asked to do much more.

This loss wasn’t on Tokarski.

Ya. I mean he gave up a bad goal but they were only in that position in the first place because he carried them there. He stole them 1 point, he didn't cost them 2. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You'd risk another power play after two quick goals? Was that challenge a slam dunk? No and no. It was not obviously GI. Granato did the right thing.

Ab-so-#######-lute-ly.

Detroit now has 1 PP goal in their last 9 games (if Rayzor had his facts correct).  Take a chance & trust your guys to get it done if the refs screw the pooch on the replay.  

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.