Friedman:Sabres are looking for Goaltending Help

Brawndo

13 minutes ago, Radar said:

Why do you believe that had influenced the decision to give him time off. I separate that from Ulmarks contract situation.

I'm apparently not being clear.  I didn't say the contract situation influenced the decision to give Ullmark the time off. 

I think you've got the connection (if it even exists) backwards.  What happened when Ullmark's dad died was just normal people treating each other they way they should.  No ulterior motive.

But in the aftermath Linus said, "I feel a lot of gratitude towards...the organization and everyone around it."

Given that, I think Adams may have gotten the impression that Ullmark felt at home in Buffalo and would very likely sign here, even as the trade deadline passed.  That impression, that assumption, is where Adams made his mistake.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

A trade for a middling backup goalie in Chicago.  

I think this sounds familiar...

There was no way Hasek was a "middling backup."  Neither Keenan nor Muckler could see past his unorthodox style to actually view the results.  The reason he was a backup was those 2 couldn't believe the results.  And the reason he didn't get a shot earlier was being stuck behind the Iron Curtain growing up.

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

There was no way Hasek was a "middling backup."  Neither Keenan nor Muckler could see past his unorthodox style to actually view the results.  The reason he was a backup was those 2 couldn't believe the results.  And the reason he didn't get a shot earlier was being stuck behind the Iron Curtain growing up.

Agree.  He needed a chance. 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I did not mean that in a negative way - I'm sure they saw something there with Hasek.  

Maybe we get just half as lucky here 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I’m still interested in Murray.  I doubt KA will be able to convince a reliable UFA to come here this summer.  I also doubt he wants to invest to much with UPL, Levi and Portillo coming up through the system.

I’d still be interested but only if Ott eats 50% of his deal and Bales thinks he’s salvageable. If Bales can fix him we might get actual good goaltending for a very fair price for the two year remaining on his deal.  

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m still interested in Murray.  I doubt KA will be able to convince a reliable UFA to come here this summer.  I also doubt he wants to invest to much with UPL, Levi and Portillo coming up through the system.

I’d still be interested but only if Ott eats 50% of his deal and Bales thinks he’s salvageable. If Bales can fix him we might get actual good goaltending for a very fair price for the two year remaining on his deal.  

But if you're looking for a cumulative sub-.900 sv% goalie over the last 3 seasons, why pay Murray millions when you can pay Subban $850k and have him UFA at the end of the season? It wouldn't be Effective, Efficient, and Economical.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

But if you're looking for a cumulative sub-.900 sv% goalie over the last 3 seasons, why pay Murray millions when you can pay Subban $850k and have him UFA at the end of the season? It wouldn't be Effective, Efficient, and Economical.

Murray is still young for a goalie and has played at an elite level in the past.  Bales was his coach when he was good.  I think injuries are the primary issue.  Subban was never an elite goalie and is older then Murray.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

34 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Murray is still young for a goalie and has played at an elite level in the past.  Bales was his coach when he was good.  I think injuries are the primary issue.  Subban was never an elite goalie and is older then Murray.

Injuries or not, Murray's gotten steadily worse in save percentage year-after-year. He's Ullmark but on a negative trajectory. Subban is following GM Sheevyn's plan: no blockers (on the young guys). And if Ottawa isn't going to pay the penalty in a draft pick to offload him, he's a worse asset than any stopgap measure because he's $5M/season. Statistically he's Hutton, but at twice the price.

Its a shame, because with an above  average goaltender, this team might be above average in the standings (contending for a wild car) and would be really fun to watch.

The problem is, I can't blame Adams for giving up valuable asset(s) to get a 'good' goalie that might only serve this team this year.  You aren't getting a 'great' long term goaltender for any assets at this point in the season.  So, we are stuck with what we have....a young team that has potential to be 'good' and exciting to watch, but is let down by its goaltending more than almost any of us can remember.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Its a shame, because with an above  average goaltender, this team might be above average in the standings (contending for a wild car) and would be really fun to watch.

The problem is, I can't blame Adams for giving up valuable asset(s) to get a 'good' goalie that might only serve this team this year.  You aren't getting a 'great' long term goaltender for any assets at this point in the season.  So, we are stuck with what we have....a young team that has potential to be 'good' and exciting to watch, but is let down by its goaltending more than almost any of us can remember.

Why would a good goalie who elevates the team to playoff contention be around for only this year?

Adams wouldn't be able to convince him to stick around?

Just now, jad1 said:

Why would a good goalie who elevates the team to playoff contention be around for only this year?

I think in the long run you are hoping for better than a 'good' goalie.  My point is don't trade assets for a 'good' goalie that will help you this year....but who isn't good enough to be your long term solution.  IF you want someone that is good enough for this year AND to be a long term solution, I don't know who is available and you might have to give up a lot for that.

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

I think in the long run you are hoping for better than a 'good' goalie.  My point is don't trade assets for a 'good' goalie that will help you this year....but who isn't good enough to be your long term solution.  IF you want someone that is good enough for this year AND to be a long term solution, I don't know who is available and you might have to give up a lot for that.

I think it's heavy lift for a goalie to put this current team into the playoff race.  But if there is a guy who can do that, it's hard to believe he wouldn't be able to do the same next season.

If that player is a UFA next season, Adams should be able to use the teams success to convince him to re-sign with the team.

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Especially when you feel the long term solution is already in your system.

So give up  playoff run this season and probably next for a goalie still in the AHL or college?

I'm sure the 5,000 fans who show up for thegames over the next two years would love that.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, jad1 said:

23 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

6 minutes ago, jad1 said:

So give up  playoff run this season and probably next for a goalie still in the AHL or college?

I'm sure the 5,000 fans who show up for thegames over the next two years would love that.

The key is to find the team's next Marty Biron while the next Ryan Miller is still developing.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.