Friedman:Sabres are looking for Goaltending Help

Brawndo

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Strauss Mann (23yrs) is currently near the top of the SHL with .929 sv% in 9gp. 

Eetu Anttila (22yrs) is currently in Liiga with a .933 sv% in 6gp

Nick Malik (19yrs) is currently in Liiga with a .926 sv% in 15gp

Enroth .93 sv% 1.86 GAA 23gp  / Mann now has 0.93 sv% 1.66 GAA 23gp

I would take both lol

Edited by Huckleberry

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Enroth .93 sv% 1.86 GAA 23gp  / Mann now has 0.93 sv% 1.66 GAA 23gp

I would take both lol

Any of the goalies mentioned above playing in Europe would be okay with me.  They have PLENTY of  cap space to lure one of the mentioned goalies here…assuming that bad goaltending isn’t a subtle tank plan. 

I just don't get it. With a good goalie we'd be better than five hundred by a little. With a great goalie we'd be well in on the playoff hunt. But no here we are all because of one position not being filled. It's not like this has snuck up on anybody. Some of us have been hollering fo a true number one goalie for a couple of years now. As much as I hate it, the only logical conclusion is that it's intentional. I hate it for the players because it won't be long before they give up on the season and that's not good for their development.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

I just don't get it. With a good goalie we'd be better than five hundred by a little. With a great goalie we'd be well in on the playoff hunt.

Sharks, Red Wings, Leafs, and Rangers.  If NOTHING else changed besides the goalie performance, even with 'average' goaltending they should have/would have won those games.  Of course, the flow the game can change, as well as opposing team strategy and other things if you were getting better goaltending.  But I agree with your overall point. 

They would probably have 3 of those games be wins, and maybe ONE other game I'm not thinking of, with consistent average-to-above average goaltending.  Instead of being 25th in the league, that would put them battling for a playoff spot right now.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I fear they are looking at Murray - Friedman said so on Peters/Rivet podcast.

Jack Sparrow Reaction GIF

Again it comes down to Bales; if he thinks he can fix him then why not throw a bone, especially if we are incentivized, at the guy. He was a solid goalie for 2 years prior to falling off a cliff.

If the Senators want to cover 50% of his contract, perhaps, but even then, at $3,000,000 Murray just doesn't look like the same goalie anymore.  Perhaps it could be the wrong team / structure.  But, I'm not sure he's a great answer.  It'd be more sensible to trade for Halak for the rest of the season if Vancouver continues to funnel downward.   

From 32 Thoughts 

13. There are hard feelings between Matt Murray and the Senators. Murray clearly feels he is a scapegoat, with injuries and illness preventing him from being at full-strength. Ottawa, not performing as well as hoped, feels it's been patient enough and the results aren’t there. It doesn’t sound like there were many trade talks prior to the waiver move, and we’ll see if there’s any fit while Murray tries to get his game back at AHL Belleville.

Buffalo makes the most sense, but will want salary retention or some other sweetener. The Sabres are definitely looking for an upgrade. Wondered if Toronto would consider it, but when you look at their cap situation -- even Murray at 50 per cent doesn’t really work for them.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Ottawa struggling mightily this season represents a good forewarning for those hoping the Sabres were "this year's" Sens. Them outplaying expectations last year didn't amount to a whole lot for this year. 

Fortunately the Sabres aren't making enough progress this year to follow that not-unusual trend.

Unfortunately, if they take a jump next year it makes them a prime candidate for a falloff two years from now. 😁

Just looking up the numbers on Holtby.  It looks like Dallas has to free up more than his salary to take on Bishop.  What would be reasonable addition to ask from Dallas as part of a salary exchange and what should we send in return?  So if they need to lose about $4.5M in salary and Holtby makes $2M, how do you make it work for them with the Salary and us as a team?  Frankly, they are in a pickle.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.