Friedman:Sabres are looking for Goaltending Help

Brawndo

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Fugazi!!

We could Italianize it even easier than that, my friend.

All we need to do is pronouce the hard e as a hard a ... like this, but of course there is no accent in Italian, but that is the way to say it.

FUCALÉ

😎

(you need the cool guy in shades thingie too, or it's not valid)

Hey @PASabreFan ... ague alert !!

Edited by The Ghost of Doohickie
more goodly ...

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’d love to bring in Ullmark. He’s better than this thread thinks.

Hard to believe KA would even consider it given what happened in free agency and his “wants to be here” schtick.

Maybe Linus realized he is not dastardly material afterall and really wants to come back.

If that ever happened @MODO Hockey will organize a parade.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Maybe Linus realized he is not dastardly material afterall and really wants to come back.

If that ever happened @MODO Hockey will organize a parade.

Doubt he will, he is pretty much fed up with this team looking at his latest comments.

Also don't think KA will take Linus back, he chose to leave he stays gone.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

We could Italianize it even easier than that, my friend.

All we need to do is pronouce the hard e as a hard a ... like this, but of course there is no accent in Italian, but that is the way to say it.

FUCALÉ

😎

(you need the cool guy in shades thingie too, or it's not valid)

Hey @PASabreFan ... ague alert !!

Funiculi Funicula!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

What's the basis for this assertion?  Ullmark signed a 4-year deal, not 5, with Boston, and Vogl reported that the Sabres offered him only a 1- or 2-year deal (although I believe @Brawndo has said here that his sources told him the Sabres offered 3 years).

It's more like a split arrangement.  Ullmark has started 8 out of 18 games, and the starts were affected by an injury that Ullmark had a couple of weeks ago. 

I remembered wrong off top of my head thanks for correcting. Anything beyond 2 years is starting to create trouble, 3 is stretching it.  4+ off the table. 

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

It seems like there's a bit of unjustified schadenfreude going on here with Ullmark.  He's 5-3 with a .914 SV%.  He's had 4 good games, 2 lousy ones (vs Toronto and Edmonton, currently #1 and #5 overall in the NHL), and 2 average ones (one of which was vs Florida, currently #4 in the NHL, and the other vs SJ).

Don't kid yourself.  KA crapped the bed by lowballing Ullmark and not having or executing a backup plan for a real NHL goalie.  The Sabres would be much better with him than they are now.

We would be even better with someone as good or better for less $ and term. I wouldn't have given Ulmark the contract he got. I wish we extended him before free agency at less cost.

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

We are building through the draft.  We have 3 goalie prospects in the pipeline and enough picks to draft another.  We have Power and a few other defensemen like Johnson and Sameulsson that are developing.  At forward we have Quinn, Krebs, Peterka, Rosen, and a pile of young Russians.    

We need a NHL caliber goalie to be a good stop gap and to help the team compete right now.  

Not going to argue with either of these positions but that was not THEIR plan (unless they were idiots and simply assumed they'd re-sign Ullmark). The failure to bring in a decent goalie for this year was imo a clear indication that they were prepared to write off this year and the only thing that mattered was the rebuild/reset/whatever, basically moving on from Eichel etc.   That's all that mattered to THEM.  If they actually had wanted to try to win now there were many many goalie options better than the way we went.

So I simply don't want to change course mid plan. We have those prospects, we have picks, don't trade them away for a stop gap goalie measure now with some silly notion that we can challenge for the playoffs this year. We won't, even with a goalie. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, woods-racer said:

Ullmark is the real surprise. At his $$ and term he needs to turn that around or that will be a Skinner type contract.

Ullmark is fine.  I think, as with lots of things NHL related, there is overreaction to the early part of the season.  Ullmark has a .914 save % which is ok but not great.  The Bruins signed him to be their 1A or 1B, with Swayman, for the next 4 years and nothing that has happened so far suggests that was a bad move. 

Vladar is having a great start to the season, but the fact that Markstrom is also having a huge positive save% spike suggests pretty strongly that their #'s are partially related to the team they are playing in front of.  My guess is that if you flipped Ullmark/Swayman to the Flames and Markstom\Vladar to the Bruins the save %'s would stay with the teams, more or less, and not with the individual goalies.

If the Bruins are having regrets on Ullmark, and I highly doubt they are, then I would take him back in a second.

Edited by Archie Lee

On 11/26/2021 at 2:54 PM, SabresVet said:

Given this franchise, it wouldn't surprise me if Anderson is more than week-to-week.

I wish they'd been, provided Friedman is correct, this forward thinking about goalies a little earlier than this week. 

Methinks goalies didn't want to play here... and still don't.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’d love to bring in Ullmark. He’s better than this thread thinks.

Hard to believe KA would even consider it given what happened in free agency and his “wants to be here” schtick.

No Ullmark please.  No Borgen either.  Let’s get better players to replace them.  

• Like (+1) 7

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not going to argue with either of these positions but that was not THEIR plan (unless they were idiots and simply assumed they'd re-sign Ullmark). The failure to bring in a decent goalie for this year was imo a clear indication that they were prepared to write off this year and the only thing that mattered was the rebuild/reset/whatever, basically moving on from Eichel etc.   That's all that mattered to THEM.  If they actually had wanted to try to win now there were many many goalie options better than the way we went.

So I simply don't want to change course mid plan. We have those prospects, we have picks, don't trade them away for a stop gap goalie measure now with some silly notion that we can challenge for the playoffs this year. We won't, even with a goalie. 

I think they were idiots that simply assumed they would resign Ullmark. If they can improve the goalie position they should but all they need is a stop gap goalie to help the current group compete and improve.  

Agree with not trading our premium picks or prospects right now.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.