Friedman:Sabres are looking for Goaltending Help

Brawndo

On 11/27/2021 at 1:54 PM, Thorny said:

What the heck happened to him, anyways? This is why people say it's tough to project prospect goalies. Even those that establish as CUP WINNERS in the NHL seemingly drop off the face of the earth shortly after. Goalies are so weird. 

He had Covid earlier this month, I heard he had symptoms and is still dealing with the effects.

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

The next Goaltender better be Hasek-like because this defensive core is very bad. When we're depending on rookies like Samuelsson and Owen Power to bail us out you know it's a terrible situation. I hope this team opts for big physical players with skill from here on out on both sides.

Well Yes But Actually No GIF by walter_

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Sabres play good D...mostly. But when the wheels come off it only takes a few minutes. See: Detroit game.

They are on a run of giving up multiple goals in small windows of time. They have to clean it up.

They play much better structurally in the defensive zone and exit the zone better as well. Some is Granato’s system, some of it is replacing Risto with the likes of Hagg and Pysyk.  There is a long way to go but they are on the right track.

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Barely

That spreadsheet has too much data and, from your screenshot, there’s no way to tell how it’s sorted.  Really, the best info to evaluate is Save%.   I sorted it on Save% of Shots on Goal.  No, Murray is not among the top goalies with a Save% of .890 but it’s a lot better than Dell’s .862. 

Next best stat is Goals Against Average, which doesn’t take into account the number of shots faced or the quality of shots faced.  Murray’s GAA is 3.26, worlds better than Dell’s 4.56.

Likewise, Tokarski recently had back-to-back games where he faced 40+ shots. His GAA of 3.05 is very good considering the number of shots he faces.

6 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

That spreadsheet has too much data and, from your screenshot, there’s no way to tell how it’s sorted.

Really, the best info to evaluate is Save%.   I sorted it on Save% of Shots on Goal.  No, Murray is not among the top goalies with a Save% of .890 but it’s a lot better than Dell’s .862. 

Next best stat is Goals Against Average, which doesn’t take into account the number of shots faced or the quality of shots faced.  Murray’s GAA is 3.26, worlds better than Dell’s 4.56.

Likewise, Tokarski recently had back-to-back games where he faced 40+ shots. His GAA of 3.05 is very good considering the number of shots he faces.

It's very clearly sorted by goals saved above expected. 

GAA is not a good measure of a goaltending. To suggest it is the second best measure suggests you need to read up on expected goals models. 

I pretty much disagree with everything, except for sv%, you've said above. 

Matt Murray is a terrible goaltender who is better than Dell in the most minimal of ways. He's signed for 2 additional years at big bucks. Glad the Sabres are smart enough not to go anywhere near him. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/26/2021 at 4:46 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I just don't want him to pull a Terry Murray and start trading off the capital he has acquired for veterans. We decided to tear it down and build with the draft, we have to stick to that now - this time. 

We are building through the draft.  We have 3 goalie prospects in the pipeline and enough picks to draft another.  We have Power and a few other defensemen like Johnson and Sameulsson that are developing.  At forward we have Quinn, Krebs, Peterka, Rosen, and a pile of young Russians.    

We need a NHL caliber goalie to be a good stop gap and to help the team compete right now.  

Anderson is injured. Dell is just not good.  Toker is erratic and marginal.   UPL should stay in Rochester if possible.   Let KA do his job.   If he can find a decent goalie to hold us  over and not rush UPL that would be great.  Let’s start winning more  games and bringing in the fans.  

Let’s stop worrying about the timing of the deal.  He may be in a better position to deal from right now.  

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

It's very clearly sorted by goals saved above expected. 

GAA is not a good measure of a goaltending. To suggest it is the second best measure suggests you need to read up on expected goals models. 

I pretty much disagree with everything, except for sv%, you've said above. 

Matt Murray is a terrible goaltender who is better than Dell in the most minimal of ways. He's signed for 2 additional years at big bucks. Glad the Sabres are smart enough not to go anywhere near him. 

Ullmark is the real surprise. At his $$ and term he needs to turn that around or that will be a Skinner type contract.

25 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Ullmark is the real surprise. At his $$ and term he needs to turn that around or that will be a Skinner type contract.

Ullmark’s numbers lineup with his numbers in Buffalo. I don’t see a difference. Boston signing him was their mistake. Vladar is a better goalie and Rask wants to come back. Don’t know the thought process there.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Ullmark’s numbers lineup with his numbers in Buffalo. I don’t see a difference. Boston signing him was their mistake. Vladar is a better goalie and Rask wants to come back. Don’t know the thought process there.

Buffalo fans in significant numbers seem to have overrated Ulmark. He was quite inconsistent when not injured and injured too much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

That would be ideal, yes.

And it also makes KA look better.  I mean yeah, he dropped the ball in the short term on replacing Ully, but I'm glad he didn't overpay/overterm him.  With the pieces in the system and the fact that this is a building year, I'm glad he didn't overpay on Ullmark.

It seems like there's a bit of unjustified schadenfreude going on here with Ullmark.  He's 5-3 with a .914 SV%.  He's had 4 good games, 2 lousy ones (vs Toronto and Edmonton, currently #1 and #5 overall in the NHL), and 2 average ones (one of which was vs Florida, currently #4 in the NHL, and the other vs SJ).

Don't kid yourself.  KA crapped the bed by lowballing Ullmark and not having or executing a backup plan for a real NHL goalie.  The Sabres would be much better with him than they are now.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

We are building through the draft.  We have 3 goalie prospects in the pipeline and enough picks to draft another.  We have Power and a few other defensemen like Johnson and Sameulsson that are developing.  At forward we have Quinn, Krebs, Peterka, Rosen, and a pile of young Russians.    

We need a NHL caliber goalie to be a good stop gap and to help the team compete right now.  

Anderson is injured. Dell is just not good.  Toker is erratic and marginal.   UPL should stay in Rochester if possible.   Let KA do his job.   If he can find a decent goalie to hold us  over and not rush UPL that would be great.  Let’s start winning more  games and bringing in the fans.  

Let’s stop worrying about the timing of the deal.  He may be in a better position to deal from right now.  

You lost me here.  The timing of the deal should have been the off-season and each day he waits is another day the fans lose interest, another day he shows a lack of support to his young club and another day he keeps this team from being competitive. It's also another day incompetence.  Goaltending has been an issue since he arrived and he has done nothing but make it worse.  If he doesn't want to flush this season away, then get a goaltender now.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You lost me here.  The timing of the deal should have been the off-season and each day he waits is another day the fans lose interest, another day he shows a lack of support to his young club and another day he keeps this team from being competitive. It's also another day incompetence.  Goaltending has been an issue since he arrived and he has done nothing but make it worse.  If he doesn't want to flush this season away, then get a goaltender now.

Your singing my tune.  No one has lobbied for improved goaltending longer and harder than me.  

The timing is what it is.  KA blew it in the off season when he lost Linus.   We already complained about it.  

I am saying, to all of those complaining about getting a goalie now, to stop complaining.  Now is better than later.  

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

It seems like there's a bit of unjustified schadenfreude going on here with Ullmark.  He's 5-3 with a .914 SV%.  He's had 4 good games, 2 lousy ones (vs Toronto and Edmonton, currently #1 and #5 overall in the NHL), and 2 average ones (one of which was vs Florida, currently #4 in the NHL, and the other vs SJ).

Don't kid yourself.  KA crapped the bed by lowballing Ullmark and not having or executing a backup plan for a real NHL goalie.  The Sabres would be much better with him than they are now.

Yeah but he is being paid starter money in Boston, and he is a back up.

14 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

KA did the right thing with Ullmark. The most important thing is not having him get in the way of our goalie prospects 4 years from now and he demanded 5 year term. It’s within his right to demand the term and it was the right thing to walk away. 

What's the basis for this assertion?  Ullmark signed a 4-year deal, not 5, with Boston, and Vogl reported that the Sabres offered him only a 1- or 2-year deal (although I believe @Brawndo has said here that his sources told him the Sabres offered 3 years).

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah but he is being paid starter money in Boston, and he is a back up.

It's more like a split arrangement.  Ullmark has started 8 out of 18 games, and the starts were affected by an injury that Ullmark had a couple of weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Eh, I think my schadenfreude is entirely justified.

We call it Shraderenfreude around these parts, folks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

If Buffalo is on their list, they have to hand out the list before season.  (probably is but never know)

I think its best to look at AHL goalies and see if we can take one there.

Adam Huska or Charlie lindgren.

Maybe take a gamble on fucale ? 

I think a player can waive their NMC/NTC whenever they want, but I'm not sure how many GTs waive unless it's Buffalo or the AHL (which may well be the case in Dallas). For that matter, I wonder how many teams are waiting to see if Dallas ends up facing waiving someone and will low-ball offer a low pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.