Friedman:Sabres are looking for Goaltending Help

Brawndo

28 minutes ago, nucci said:

No reason it shouldn't...playing 2 in a row shouldn't be a big deal

Coaches really started moving away from it over the last decade or so when the number crunchers showed that the average save percentage in the 2nd game for a goalie playing back-to-back was something like 10 points lower than than the first game.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Wonder what Karmanos thinks of Murray? Should know him very well and must have been intimately involved 8n the discussions leading up to the Pens picking him over Fleury.

More than Karmanos I wonder what Mike Bales thinks of him. He worked directly with him in Pittsburgh. IF they took Murray then it better because Bales strongly feels he can fix Murray’s flaws.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

More than Karmanos I wonder what Mike Bales thinks of him. He worked directly with him in Pittsburgh. IF they took Murray then it better because Bales strongly feels he can fix Murray’s flaws.

If @thewookie1is correct, Bales doesn't like him either.  If so, then Murray is out..

The strange thing about the Boston game is that the Sabres deflated after the 1st goal against rather than the on truly weak goal, the 2nd.  So the problem with Dell is, in part, the confidence of the skaters in front of him rather than just his intrinsic flaws.  This seems to be in a feedback loop.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Coaches really started moving away from it over the last decade or so when the number crunchers showed that the average save percentage in the 2nd game for a goalie playing back-to-back was something like 10 points lower than than the first game.

But that would still be better then playing Dell.

18 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What the heck happened to him, anyways? This is why people say it's tough to project prospect goalies. Even those that establish as CUP WINNERS in the NHL seemingly drop off the face of the earth shortly after. Goalies are so weird. 

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

What the heck happened to him, anyways? This is why people say it's tough to project prospect goalies. Even those that establish as CUP WINNERS in the NHL seemingly drop off the face of the earth shortly after. Goalies are so weird. 

I just looked this up.

His father died.  His father was encouraging for him to be a goaltender.  He apparently is still suffering from some depression.

He has had concussions and sometimes avoids aggressive plays, which lowers his effectiveness.

He has had several surgeries.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I just looked this up.

His father died.  His father was encouraging for him to be a goaltender.  He apparently is still suffering from some depression.

He has had concussions and sometimes avoids aggressive plays, which lowers his effectiveness.

He has had several surgeries.

Crazy. Even playing through depression alone would be incredibly difficult. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

It sounds like Anderson might not come back. Speculation that he has a concussion and after the serious one a few years back he might just pack it in. Marek and a few others are putting that out there that it is not good.

That would put them in a spot. Claim Murray, trade for Holtby, hope for the best.

And KA was hoping for Ullmark when there were several other options. Maybe they said no but who knows. Seems a massive miscalculation to go into this season like that. We all knew there wasn’t much of a chance Anderson made it long term anyways. 

• Like (+1) 1

If, as @Flashsabre says, Anderson is out long term, who is out there?  If we include what @thewookie1 said, then Matt Murray is not an option.  Devan Dubnyk was Hutton quality last year.

Boston is apparently regretting the Ullmark signing, so there is that.  Dallas has to make a move at some point.  Other options?

On 11/27/2021 at 11:51 AM, Happy Days said:

Vladar and Stolarz  are sitting as backups but could become quality starters.

Both teams are in great position to make the playoffs out west. They'd be asking a significant overpay to lose their solid goaltending depth in case of injury to their #1s. Maybe if either team falls apart and needs to look ahead to next year, but that would be a deadline deal trade, most likely. The bottom four teams in each western division are doubtful to make a push this year (Dallas probably overtakes Nashville... and Central could send 5 teams) but even then CGY/ANH are going to stay in the race for months, particularly with Vegas still beset by injuries.

26 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Dallas will have to.

Is Bishop coming back for sure? Looks like he's ready and been practicing a while now. 

Oettinger would be ideal, Holtby would be a def upgrade and Khudobin(if he waived) would likely end up in disaster I bet. 

So many goalies are so up and down year to year.

Khudobin was the hero of their cup run a couple years ago and now he's sub .900 save % and loses as much as he wins. 

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

Is Bishop coming back for sure? Looks like he's ready and been practicing a while now. 

Oettinger would be ideal, Holtby would be a def upgrade and Khudobin(if he waived) would likely end up in disaster I bet. 

So many goalies are so up and down year to year.

Khudobin was the hero of their cup run a couple years ago and now he's sub .900 save % and loses as much as he wins. 

Oettinger no chance we get him I think, Holtby playing well.   I think Bishop would be the one they send us.

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Both Khudobin and Bishop have NMCs which means they can veto a deal to Buffalo.

Holtby has no NMC clause. They can trade him anywhere.

If Buffalo is on their list, they have to hand out the list before season.  (probably is but never know)

I think its best to look at AHL goalies and see if we can take one there.

Adam Huska or Charlie lindgren.

Maybe take a gamble on fucale ? 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Dallas will have to.

Yes --- Dallas is the best bet. Oettinger is both their future and the one playing the best; he'd be their untouchable except for a vast overpayment. They'd prefer to move either Khudobin or Bishop, the oldest and highest paid, but with the movement clauses.

I don't trust Holtby, and I'm glad we didn't throw money at him a couple years ago in UFA. However, he'd would be a fine rental this season. UFA at the end of the year, low-cost (which is important for Darth Pegulas the Owner). Won't block anyone but Dell. And he's won a Cup so he's easily flipped at the trade deadline if he's playing fine for us and a contender loses a starter.

[Yes, I'm assuming that the Sabres don't win 10 in a row and get back into playoff contention this season.]

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.