Friedman:Sabres are looking for Goaltending Help

Brawndo

Matt Murray has 2 more years after this one at a $6.25MM per year cap hit.  This year his SV% is .890, last year it was .893 and the year before that it was .899.

I would still take him and release Dell, but some strategizing is in order.  No one is going to claIm him from waivers, so they might be able to get something from Ottawa as a sweetener.  

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Matt Murray has 2 more years after this one at a $6.25MM per year cap hit.  This year his SV% is .890, last year it was .893 and the year before that it was .899.

I would still take him and release Dell, but some strategizing is in order.  No one is going to claIm him from waivers, so they might be able to get something from Ottawa as a sweetener.  

no No NO

Absolutely no. He is worse then Dell

If the sweetener is Stutzle or Brady then let’s talk. Otherwise Hell to the Naw!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

For that price, I would rather target Dallas unless the sweetener makes it irresistible.

I wouldn’t claim Murray, but I would inquire on a trade including some $ and cap retention.  Bales could really help Murray.  Murray has really struggled the last few year, but is only 27.  I think he can be salvaged.  The real issue is he is owed 7 mill next season and 8 mill the year after.  The Sens would have to retain 50% in order to get anyone to even nibble.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wouldn’t claim Murray, but I would inquire on a trade including some $ and cap retention.  Bales could really help Murray.  Murray has really struggled the last few year, but is only 27.  I think he can be salvaged.  The real issue is he is owed 7 mill next season and 8 mill the year after.  The Sens would have to retain 50% in order to get anyone to even nibble.

Not that I don't think Murray, with the right coaching, couldn't be better than Dell or Tokarski, but I'd like the Sabres to aim just a little higher if they're really committed to improving the goaltending situation. This team is scoring enough goals to be solidly middle of the pack in the East. They deserve a good goalie, they've earned it. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Last season they thought Hutton would be fine. Fail 

This off season it looks like they planned on getting Ullmark back and UPL being ready. Fail 

Then Anderson and Toker looked good for awhile but the wheels fell off that cart pretty quickly. 

Problem is, it's a GM's responsibility to fix what's wrong during the offseason and anticipate what will need improving.  First thing's easy to diagnose for even the most average fan.  The second is a supervisory responsibility which should be revealed through, among other things, diligent personnel evaluation and film study.    

I think Ullmark was either their only plan or Buffalo feigned in their attempt to re-sign him in a veiled cost-cutting move.  Either way, it's malfeasance to believe a 40 year old Anderson or the other two providing a season of replacement-level performance.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

no No NO

Absolutely no. He is worse then Dell

If the sweetener is Stutzle or Brady then let’s talk. Otherwise Hell to the Naw!!!!

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

trade them Skinner for Murray straight up. (no move clause I know, but if he'd agree). Only 2 years of a bad contract that way and a (slim) possibility of a reclamation cause goalies are weird and you never know. 

I know it won't happen.

3 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Ottawa would have to retain some salary and offer up an unprotected 1st to even begin entertaining thoughts of getting away from Murray's contract.

Gentlemen.  Let’s return peacefully to the planet earth here.

You’re getting a 3rd-rounder, maybe, and you need to decide whether you want to throw away another season or roll the dice with Murray.

@Marvin, Sabres Fan is right that Dallas may also be an option, but maybe not either and we just can’t go on with these guys who should be working at Chuck E Cheese tending goal for us.  Murray is a short term commitment who will cost only cap space, is still young and was really good a few years ago.

I want him in net for the Sabres by Tuesday.  

Well, Ottawa's been looking to unload Murray for a while so when we needed a contract to get up to the cap floor wouldn't that one have made more sense than Boychuk, if we had any interest in another goalie at all that is, which clearly they didn't.   

Personally don't think they will spend any extra money here on out at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

The only game that Tokarski has been outright terrible in was the Blue Jacket game.  I don't know what happened to him in that one. 

I wonder sometimes about just how insecure guys like Tokarski and Dell must feel.  I realize that they are not making big NHL money, but the difference between their NHL salaries and their minor league salaries is life-changing.  Of course you need your goalie to be mentally strong, but I wonder if Tokaski was negatively impacted by Granato's decision to go with Dell in the Ranger game.  Tokarski had been playing well, then gets run out of the game against Calgary (no real fault of his own in that one), Dell comes in and plays one solid period against the Flames and then gets the next start.  Tokarski might have been feeling the pressure in the Blue Jackets game and maybe it got to him momentarily.  Hopefully he is back. I hope we show a little faith in him and don't over react when he has a bad outing or a great game.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.