What was more galling, the Sabrepede or whatever we're calling last night?

PASabreFan

What was more galling, the Sabrepede or whatever we're calling last night?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What was more galling, the Sabrepede or whatever we're calling last night?

• The Sabrepede
    • Whatever we're calling last night

I assume he meant the goal allowed in the last second.

Sabrepede was more of an unusual graphic than anything else.  If not for three Sabres perfectly lined up for an instant (and coincidentally out of position), we wouldn't even be talking about it today.

After sleeping on it I can't get too worked up about what happened last night.  Against Toronto the issue was why would you try to work it out of the corner as time was expiring?  They should have simply pinned it to the boards and ran out the clock.  Yesterday the did exactly that but couldn't keep it pinned along the boards and in that second or so between when it came out and when it went into the net, no Sabre besides Tage who had finally lost the puck battle seemed to realize there was still a game going on.  But it was a bang-bang play that surprised all of us.  Between the Rangers and Leafs endings the Sabres have learned how not to close out a close game.  Now can they figure out the right way?

I'm not going to answer the poll since I don't remember anything about Sabrepede besides the picture.

• Like (+1) 1

Side note. Once when I was playing in a game, the clock was winding down and we were losing by a goal. I went into the corner with this strong dude and he just basically tried to smother the puck so I fell on the ice, grabbed the puck and just threw it at the goaltender thinking the ref would just blow play dead. I figured game was over anyway. But no one saw me do it! The puck popped around and came right to a friend who had a great scoring chance but missed as time expired. Lol. 

27 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I assume he meant the goal allowed in the last second.

Sabrepede was more of an unusual graphic than anything else.  If not for three Sabres perfectly lined up for an instant (and coincidentally out of position), we wouldn't even be talking about it today.

After sleeping on it I can't get too worked up about what happened last night.  Against Toronto the issue was why would you try to work it out of the corner as time was expiring?  They should have simply pinned it to the boards and ran out the clock.  Yesterday the did exactly that but couldn't keep it pinned along the boards and in that second or so between when it came out and when it went into the net, no Sabre besides Tage who had finally lost the puck battle seemed to realize there was still a game going on.  But it was a bang-bang play that surprised all of us.  Between the Rangers and Leafs endings the Sabres have learned how not to close out a close game.  Now can they figure out the right way?

I'm not going to answer the poll since I don't remember anything about Sabrepede besides the picture.

Oh--that?  The Sabrepede by far, then.  The guys last night were trying to keep that puck pinned to the boards but just couldn't.  It wasn't a bad idea, it wasn't anyone out of position, it just was a failure to accomplish.  Which normally would be okay--they did keep that puck pinned for about ten seconds--but Aaron Dell was in net.

• Like (+1) 3

After every win… I’m happy about it for about 10 minutes. Then life goes on. I’m not affected in the least by it.

After every loss… I’m aggravated for about 10 minutes. Then life goes on. I’m not affected in the least by it.

Every sports fan is different. It doesn’t make one less or more of a fan because they react to wins and losses differently.

As to the general spirit of this weird thread… Both are bad hockey plays. I moved on. I’m just speaking for myself. I understand if some people still want to wring their hands and dissect a “bad play” (if one could even call it that) over 12 hours after it happened. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I don't see how trying to pin the puck for 12, 15, 18 seconds with two D against the glass, a forward nearby below the goal line, another forward near the wall and one forward covering everywhere and everyone else isn't a major malfunction. They ended up with a forward trying to play a down-low three on one.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Oh--that?  The Sabrepede by far, then.  The guys last night were trying to keep that puck pinned to the boards but just couldn't.  It wasn't a bad idea, it wasn't anyone out of position, it just was a failure to accomplish.  Which normally would be okay--they did keep that puck pinned for about ten seconds--but Aaron Dell was in net.

I didn't see that at all.

I saw Tage Thompson battle his ass off for nearly 20 seconds to keep the puck away from Rangers playmakers.

As that happened, most of the players supporting him gradually relaxed.

Instead of supporting Tage, Bryson drifted back into no man's land, covering neither player, nor pass and giving Krieder no resistance whatsoever when he finally managed to wheel the puck loose.

Hagg, did his job, battling the Ranger to the high side of Tage and clogging the lane up the boards. Which meant Skinner was completely and absolutely redundant where he was, idly drifting in from the high side. Skinner was absolutely sleeping on Fox, who zipped past him into the dangerous space behind THompson.

Olofsson was mostly where he should have been, covering Zibanejad, but had to pull away to meet Fox.

Both Bryson and Skinner were sleeping on that play.

That's two last-minute game-winning goals in a week where Skinner's defence along the left-wing boards played a huge role.

https://www.nhl.com/video/lindgren-scores-in-final-second/t-326184528/c-9615818

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I saw Tage Thompson battle his ass off for nearly 20 seconds to keep the puck away from Rangers playmakers.

As that happened, most of the players supporting him supporting him gradually relaxed.

Instead of supporting Tage, Bryson drifted back into no man's land, covering neither player, nor pass and giving Krieder no resistance whatsoever when he finally managed to wheel the puck loose.

Hagg, did his job, battling the Ranger to the high side of Tage and clogging the lane up the boards. Which meant Skinner was completely and absolutely redundant where he was, idly drifting in from the high side. Skinner was absolutely sleeping on Fox, who zipped past him into the dangerous space behind THompson.

Olofsson was mostly where he should have been, covering Zibanejad, but had to pull away to meet Fox.

That's two last-minute game-winning goals in a week where Skinner's defence along the left-wing boards played a huge role.

Not to pile on, but wasn't Skinner also on for an OT goal against where he was slow covering the guy? 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Not to pile on, but wasn't Skinner also on for an OT goal against where he was slow covering the guy? 

Yes, the one he made a half-hearted attempt on another guys check, then coasted away from the play over to the sideboards leaving Cozens hung out to dry and Zacha buried it on a 2-on-1.

But people around here would rather focus on Dahlin not being Bobby Orr.

• Like (+1) 5

51 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

After every win… I’m happy about it for about 10 minutes. Then life goes on. I’m not affected in the least by it.

After every loss… I’m aggravated for about 10 minutes. Then life goes on. I’m not affected in the least by it.

Every sports fan is different. It doesn’t make one less or more of a fan because they react to wins and losses differently.

As to the general spirit of this weird thread… Both are bad hockey plays. I moved on. I’m just speaking for myself. I understand if some people still want to wring their hands and dissect a “bad play” (if one could even call it that) over 12 hours after it happened. 

Just can't get as emotionally involved with sports as some seem to. Lot of other things take up that space in my life. Not sure I even care for ten minutes. Probably just age.

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

As that happened, most of the players supporting him supporting him gradually relaxed.

The entire clip, Skinner never turns his head to see where his man is. That’s really bad.

59 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yes, the one he made a half-hearted attempt on another guys check, then coasted away from the play over to the sideboards leaving Cozens hung out to dry and Zacha buried it on a 2-on-1.

But people around here would rather focus on Dahlin not being Bobby Orr.

Is Jeff that devoid of hockey sense? 

He appears to me  not to be lazy or lacking in effort when he knows what to do, he just doesn't seem to understand how to play defense.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Yes.

If this season doesn't matter and I'm the coach do I use this season to try and teach him ?

He was out there with 20 seconds left on the clock in our own zone, why? That is coaching suicide. The only sane reason I can think of is Granato is trying to make a decent hockey player out of him by using him in these situations and trying to coach him up. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, woods-racer said:

If this season doesn't matter and I'm the coach do I use this season to try and teach him ?

He was out there with 20 seconds left on the clock in our own zone, why? That is coaching suicide. The only sane reason I can think of is Granato is trying to make a decent hockey player out of him by using him in these situations and trying to coach him up. 

I do not understand that either. I guess trying to get a goal? 

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Just can't get as emotionally involved with sports as some seem to. Lot of other things take up that space in my life. Not sure I even care for ten minutes. Probably just age.

As I get older, I don't take these things as hard as I used to.  I try to focus on the bigger picture in life (family, health, career, etc.).  That sad, my mood does seem to be better after a win and worse after a loss, particularly a tough loss.  Football tends to hit harder because there are many fewer games, so each one has a bigger impact.  I envy your ability to clear it all out after 10 minutes.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Is Jeff that devoid of hockey sense? 

He appears to me  not to be lazy or lacking in effort when he knows what to do, he just doesn't seem to understand how to play defense.

Defensive hockey sense, almost certainly.

Offensive hockey sense is either great or terrible but never anywhere in between from subject to subject.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Granato is pretty much rolling lines regardless --- Thompson did the right thing, VO was playing his part. Skinner was on their line and out there by default. It's a developmental year.

But this is exactly the thing that caused previous coaches to drop Skinner down their lineups, or take him off the ice in the 3rd and in overtime. He can't be trusted defensively and it's a career-spanning "phase". HC Meatballs will learn to do this as well (particularly as others come up from the Amerks).

That's a minimum of 2 points lost, and as many as 5 additional points gained courtesy of Skinner this season. A veteran providing guidance to the new core needs to be better than that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.