How have the Sabres offended you today?

PromoTheRobot

I don't want to actually dump on them or give them any crap right now. I pretty much reached my breaking point after last season and said the only think that'd keep me around is if they blew it up, got rid of the old so called core and rebuilt properly this time. So they did it.  They blew it up. If they get this rebuild right, all is forgiven. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Terry will spend more on operating his boat this year than he will spend on Caggiula, Cozens, Asplund, Thompson, Hinostroza, Ruotsalainen, Hagg, and Pysyk combined. How much money are we postulating they lose on the club right now? 20M a year? 30? 40? Let's be silly and say it's 40M a year. With absolutely no other revenue streams a person with 5B in wealth can sustain those losses for 125 years.  125 years.  For perspective, that loss is the equivalent to $1,200 for a person making 150k a year.  I lose way more on hockey as a percentage of my income every single year without getting the Sabres involved at all.  The median income in Erie County is 58k. The equivalent loss for that level of income is $464.  It's the equivalent of an average person buying an XBox. How much do I really need to care about that for Terry?  

We all know Terry has plenty of other revenue streams and honestly probably isn't losing 40M a year on the Sabres either. They don't have an obligation to do anything but lets not pretend that any part of that dynamic pricing crap is necessary or that it's the fans fault for not showing up. Screw that. This is Terry's fault for running a proud franchise into the ground and if he doesn't want to run it properly and doesn't want to stomach losses that he created through his own incompetence than he should sell it and buy a different toy to ruin. It's not about civic duty either.  You bought something, it has operating expenses, just like the boat. You either pay those operating expenses or the boat falls apart.  A hockey team has expenses. We as the public are kind enough to help offset those expenses by agreeing to come watch the team someone else owns. When the team sucks and sucks for a long time the public isn't willing to off-set those expenses but they still exist.  There is no ROI on a yacht and owning a hockey team isn't a revenue generating venture every year and if you bought it expecting it to be one you should sell it because it's not.

I think you believe the franchises problem is they won't spend. I don't. They did and they lost. The problem was they spent wrongly and hired poorly and the two are hand in hand the problem.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Not really. I listen in the car on the way back and forth from my kid's hockey stuff. That's probably giving him some small amount of money via broadcasting rights by streaming WGR on my phone through the bluetooth in my car. I guess I'll have to stomach that because I haven't bothered to figure out how to pirate the radio feed so I listen to grown men watch TV and poorly explain what they see to me over the radio like it's 1937 and the play by play guy is waiting for the ticker tape to tell him what's happening. Frankly, it's perfect for the Sabres. Completely half-assed and a downgrade in every way possible from where it started.

Now that is funny.

The Sabres have never offended me. The Sabres are a beloved logo, the men who founded the franchise, players who almost died for us and at least one who did die for us it turns out, Sabre Dance, Rick and Ted, the Aud and the Marena, so many memories and great times, Uncle Milt, Andreychuk to Zhitnik. The Sabres are your country. You can love it but be offended by and even hate your president and your government and even your fellow citizens.

It's an easy distinction for me to make.

Terry offends me on so many levels. Nothing specific today except look where we're at — the jalopy of state is just now rocking back and forth, possibly inching closer to getting out of the snowbank its owner drove it into. I love that beater though.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Terry will spend more on operating his boat this year than he will spend on Caggiula, Cozens, Asplund, Thompson, Hinostroza, Ruotsalainen, Hagg, and Pysyk combined. How much money are we postulating they lose on the club right now? 20M a year? 30? 40? Let's be silly and say it's 40M a year. With absolutely no other revenue streams a person with 5B in wealth can sustain those losses for 125 years.  125 years.  For perspective, that loss is the equivalent to $1,200 for a person making 150k a year.  I lose way more on hockey as a percentage of my income every single year without getting the Sabres involved at all.  The median income in Erie County is 58k. The equivalent loss for that level of income is $464.  It's the equivalent of an average person buying an XBox. How much do I really need to care about that for Terry?  

We all know Terry has plenty of other revenue streams and honestly probably isn't losing 40M a year on the Sabres either. They don't have an obligation to do anything but lets not pretend that any part of that dynamic pricing crap is necessary or that it's the fans fault for not showing up. Screw that. This is Terry's fault for running a proud franchise into the ground and if he doesn't want to run it properly and doesn't want to stomach losses that he created through his own incompetence than he should sell it and buy a different toy to ruin. It's not about civic duty either.  You bought something, it has operating expenses, just like the boat. You either pay those operating expenses or the boat falls apart.  A hockey team has expenses. We as the public are kind enough to help offset those expenses by agreeing to come watch the team someone else owns. When the team sucks and sucks for a long time the public isn't willing to off-set those expenses but they still exist.  There is no ROI on a yacht and owning a hockey team isn't a revenue generating venture every year and if you bought it expecting it to be one you should sell it because it's not.

So you're saying the Sabres shouldn't be developing players but going out and spending on free agents to win right now?

17 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I used to lose my mind over the Bills and Sabres. But one day I just decided there's no fun in being miserable. So I don't take it as seriously anymore. Bills are great now. And I'll get enjoyment from seeing any improvement in the Sabres.

This is a healthy attitude.  I grew to just enjoy the good stuff and not worry as much about the bad.  A couple of decades ago, the Bills' terrible O-Line would have driven me nuts; now I just shake my head.  The Sabres' drought annoys me, but I will not let it drive me to distraction.

Today: They haven't started playing yet. Here I am on Sabrespace and it's still over an hour to go. The gutters are cleaned out, football is over (at least games of interest), the dog is sleeping after a run, the banana bread is baking and the chicken soup stock is ready for all the tasties...  The game should be on now to appease me.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

No. I'm saying that ticket prices should be going down not up while they complete that process. I'm saying the broadcast crew should travel with the team. I'm saying they should stop squeezing the fans right now, recognize the situation they are in, and deal with the reality they have created without whining about "losing money". I'm saying I don't want to hear the words operational loss come out of their mouth in the year that taxpayers are going to hand them and insane amount of money for their other toy. I'm saying it sucks that they settled for a terrible RoR trade over the amount of money they spend running their boat in a year. I'm saying I never want to hear about them maintaining their lifestyle while they fire working people ever again.

I have a much greater problem with the Pegulas than whether or not they sign free agents in a given year.

So is this about making the Sabres better or punishing the Pegulas? The NHL mandates prices be at a certain level. The Pegulas can't unilaterally slash ticket prices without forfeiting shared revenue from the NHL. 

52 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Today: They haven't started playing yet. Here I am on Sabrespace and it's still over an hour to go. The gutters are cleaned out, football is over (at least games of interest), the dog is sleeping after a run, the banana bread is baking and the chicken soup stock is ready for all the tasties...  The game should be on now to appease me.

At least they won't make you wait till 7pm.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So you're saying the Sabres shouldn't be developing players but going out and spending on free agents to win right now?

They've been doing that the last 10 years.  Let's ask the 7500 people at the next game how that is working out.

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Taking shortcuts is what whacked us the first time. So do it again?

No. I think the Sabres should load up on $750k players while they wait 5 years to see if their 19 year players develop into anything, until the end of time.

And we can all be happy in our shared agreement not to hold the organization accountable for winning ever.

3 minutes ago, jad1 said:

No. I think the Sabres should load up on $750k players while they wait 5 years to see if their 19 year players develop into anything, until the end of time.

And we can all be happy in our shared agreement not to hold the organization accountable for winning ever.

How did you decipher Kevyn Adams plan?

• Haha (+1) 2

The Sabres aren't offending me with their 7-7-2 record as they are slightly exceeding expectations.

The Bills on the other hand are offending me with an underachieving 6-4 record. 

Crucify me if you must BUT if we are just talking about the current season, I AM MORE UPSET WITH THE BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, KC Scouts said:

The Sabres aren't offending me with their 7-7-2 record as they are slightly exceeding expectations.

Crucify me if you must BUT if we are just talking about the current season, I AM MORE UPSET WITH THE BILLS!

The Bills overdid it with skill players and chintzed on the lines.  If the right teams have the right preparation, then the the Bills will have problems.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So is this about making the Sabres better or punishing the Pegulas? The NHL mandates prices be at a certain level. The Pegulas can't unilaterally slash ticket prices without forfeiting shared revenue from the NHL. 

At least they won't make you wait till 7pm.

Not true.

On 11/21/2021 at 8:13 PM, KC Scouts said:

It is all about expectations. There are really 2 things that make sports fans happy.  First and most importantly is winning the championship.    If you DON'T win the championship, then the only other thing that really matters to fans is exceeding expectations.

Sure, there are some fans that want to see their favorite player do well, others want to see maybe a little of this and a little of that.....but when you break it down it really is all about (at least 95%) about either winning the title or exceeding expectations.

That is the issue with being a Bills fan now.  Expectations are/were so high, that anything less than going to the Superbowl (and probably winning it) is going to disappoint a lot of fans.   With the Sabres, if they finish with 75-80 points and we see some un-expected development from the young guys, a  lot of us will be happy.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.