Sabres “discounted” tickets through the BN

LabattBlue

@LabattBlue — you are certainly right to be dissatisfied with the team’s results since TP took over, but I can’t agree with your criticism of either the prices or the dynamic scheme.  Their prices are among the lowest in the NHL ($17!!), and pretty much every team uses dynamic pricing.

if you feel like the team isn’t good enough to earn your money, you’re more than entitled to feel that way, but it’s not realistic to expect NHL tickets at $25 each or whatever you have in mind that is appreciably below $58.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

@LabattBlue — you are certainly right to be dissatisfied with the team’s results since TP took over, but I can’t agree with your criticism of either the prices or the dynamic scheme.  Their prices are among the lowest in the NHL ($17!!), and pretty much every team uses dynamic pricing.

if you feel like the team isn’t good enough to earn your money, you’re more than entitled to feel that way, but it’s not realistic to expect NHL tickets at $25 each or whatever you have in mind that is appreciably below $58.  

I never said i wanted $25 tix.  I have moved on. 

7 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

The real world tends to operate on a supply and demand model. Just like dynamic pricing. The issue is when there is no demand prices need to fall in line with the lack of demand. $58 for ass tickets doesn't reflect the complete and utter lack of demand at the moment. It might not be reasonable to expect $25 tickets but when that is what the market is willing to pay for your product that's what your tickets are worth. When the Sabres are putting nobody in the seats their tickets aren't worth $58 no matter how much they want them to be. Dynamic pricing only works when your pricing range reflects the reality of your situation. There isn't a realm of existence where I'm paying $58 for a ticket to a Sabres game right now. Not in Buffalo, not anywhere.

This is fair, but I don't think it's reasonable to be PO'd at the team (as the OP apparently is) for not seeing it the same way.

40 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

The real world tends to operate on a supply and demand model. Just like dynamic pricing. The issue is when there is no demand prices need to fall in line with the lack of demand. $58 for ass tickets doesn't reflect the complete and utter lack of demand at the moment. It might not be reasonable to expect $25 tickets but when that is what the market is willing to pay for your product that's what your tickets are worth. When the Sabres are putting nobody in the seats their tickets aren't worth $58 no matter how much they want them to be. Dynamic pricing only works when your pricing range reflects the reality of your situation. There isn't a realm of existence where I'm paying $58 for a ticket to a Sabres game right now. Not in Buffalo, not anywhere.

Tell me more about these tickets. This has my interest perked.

• Haha (+1) 2

Here we go:

Two years ago, $58 would get you an average seat in just 7 NHL barns. The Sabres had the 4th lowest average ticket prices in the league. The median was $71 (Winnipeg)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193757/average-ticket-price-in-the-nhl-by-team-in-2010/

Edited by dudacek

8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I can see that. It’s just the notion of sticking it up the a$$ of the fanbase just because a game is on a certain day of the week. 

I’ve got a feeling that these feeble attendance numbers are going to be their justification for selling the team within the next two years

You're getting mad at something every team does. You are aware the Sabres are hemorrhaging red ink, tight? 

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I never said i wanted $25 tix.  I have moved on. 

Yet here you are.

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Nobody cares. Win more games. Then you can do dynamic pricing scaling upwards. Until then your dynamic pricing needs to work the other way because nobody is buying at the current price points.

Maybe the Sabres should just move. That will end the non-stop torture having this team must be.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Or...your particular market can't support an NHL franchise. Without an open border that is definitely the case here.

Without an open border AND in the 11th year of a playoff drought in a year the team traded it's 2 best forwards for futures & had its best defensive defenseman & planned #1 goalie both walk with no FA signee making over $1MM/year AND had to buy an effectively retired D-man to guarantee they'll hit the salary floor all year. 

Those 2 forwards having been deemed by ownership & prior management to be worth intentionally making the team the worst in the league for 2 full seasons.

Show me ANY fan base that could support a team through all that.

If this team didn't come into the year with all that baggage, the fans would still be in the building in reasonable #'s even with only 1/2 of the fanbase having access to the games.

Only loons would still be paying to watch this show.  😉

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Without an open border AND in the 11th year of a playoff drought in a year the team traded it's 2 best forwards for futures & had its best defensive defenseman & planned #1 goalie both walk with no FA signee making over $1MM/year AND had to buy an effectively retired D-man to guarantee they'll hit the salary floor all year. 

Those 2 forwards having been deemed by ownership & prior management to be worth intentionally making the team the worst in the league for 2 full seasons.

If this team didn't come into the year with all that baggage, the fans would still be in the building in reasonable #'s even with only 1/2 of the fanbase having access to the games.

Call me loony then. I still have my 4 tickets and plan to stick with it until they return to being competitive. It happened with the Bills after 17 fruitless years. I see no reason why it won't happen again.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The past was a complete wreck, no question. But you have to decide are you going to linger in the past or move on.

Sorry about your kid. Have fun at your free game.

2 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'd pay $58 to go to a Sabres game right now.  I'm unable to because I am out of town for ... reasons ... but I would.  I miss it.  And I definitely can see people who are headed to Buffalo for Thanksgiving shelling out $58 to go see their favorite team.

40 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Call me loony then. I still have my 4 tickets and plan to stick with it until they return to being competitive. It happened with the Bills after 17 fruitless years. I see no reason why it won't happen again.

The past was a complete wreck, no question. But you have to decide are you going to linger in the past or move on.

Sorry about your kid. Have fun at your free game.

Pretty sure you meant to quote a different post for your 2nd comment.

As to the 1st part, yeah, they eventually will be relevant again.  But it is hard to blame people for not wanting to spend money on this team.  

Never thought they'd see attendance this poor but also never thought they'd be working on their 2nd decade w/out playoffs, never expected the border to be shut down, & never expected to see a 3rd reload in only 7 years.  Really thought this market was bulletproof.  Guess not.  (And realize there were downtimes attendancewise in the past, but flipping the calendar into the new year was always the cure.  Not nearly as likely this year, though that'll help.)

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure you meant to quote a different post for your 2nd comment.

As to the 1st part, yeah, they eventually will be relevant again.  But it is hard to blame people for not wanting to spend money on this team.  

Never thought they'd see attendance this poor but also never thought they'd be working on their 2nd decade w/out playoffs, never expected the border to be shut down, & never expected to see a 3rd reload in only 7 years.  Really thought this market was bulletproof.  Guess not.  (And realize there were downtimes attendancewise in the past, but flipping the calendar into the new year was always the cure.  Not nearly as likely this year, though that'll help.)

The border closure put a serious hurt on attendance. Now that they are lifting the testing requirement for quick visits to the US I expect things to pick up some in December. If not then hoo-boy. All I can say is it's a good thing Gary Bettman doesn't have a itchy trigger finger.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The border closure put a serious hurt on attendance. Now that they are lifting the testing requirement for quick visits to the US I expect things to pick up some in December. If not then hoo-boy. All I can say is it's a good thing Gary Bettman doesn't have a itchy trigger finger.

The border opening won't help as much as it would've had that happened over the summer because people like @Zamboni that would've been to a lot of games will likely only go to a couple of/ a few games.  

It WILL help with next year's attendance.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The border opening won't help as much as it would've had that happened over the summer because people like @Zamboni that would've been to a lot of games will likely only go to a couple of/ a few games.  

It WILL help with next year's attendance.

True.
Yea, there are a few reasons why I suspended my tickets for the season. And I won’t be attending any games until a policy changes. Being a STH since 2004, I am quite content and comfortable not going this season. I couldn’t care less who judges my decision negatively.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.