GDT: Oilers vs Sabres Nov. 12, 2021, 7pm, ESPN+ only, WGR

PromoTheRobot

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Donnie Granato seeing opportunities where we see fears.

Well done, coach. Happy you’re in charge.

Bryson is extraordinarily tough to beat on the rush, his feet are so good.

Give me anybody other than this American network folly of milking a predetermined narrative regardless of the story unfolding in the game.

Or that the Oilers were tired? Or that Nugent-Hopkins hasn’t scored yet?

Yes, he’s for real. This is a narrative worth repeating.

The six minors to kill will do that. Dahlin was quietly excellent defending tonight. Pysyk seems a good match.

We continue to work hard. Tokarski especially. Collectively, the best game of the year for the JAGs.

To the bolded, absolutely.

But as said earlier, wasn't sure of the best way to handle Cozens tonight and said flat out that I'd trust Granato's judgement more than ours.  He forking nailed it.  

And guessing this game will result in a decrease in "Cozens belongs in the AHL" posts.  At least for a day or 2.

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But as said earlier, wasn't sure of the best way to handle Cozens tonight and said flat out that I'd trust Granato's judgement more than ours.  He forking nailed it.  

And guessing this game will result in a decrease in "Cozens belongs in the AHL" posts.  At least for a day or 2.

Yes, I am starting to think Granato is a lot better coach than I thought he'd be. He does seem to be figuring out how to use players' skill sets to make them the best they can be. Tage at center. Cozens as a shut down player. These are things I would never have even considered and yet they seem obvious now. 

• Like (+1) 7

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Agreed. Hope it keeps up 

• Like (+1) 1

If you go to Sabres.com you can bring up the 8 min post game remarks of the coach. He was asked about Cozens and what he said to him prior to the game. He is really brilliant in understanding the psychology of each player on his roster and bringing out their respective talents. In the human relations and people skills this coach is masterful. 

I apologize for not being able to bring up the specific link for the post game comments but they are on this page, including the highlights.  

The reported paid attendance for this game was a 8258. From what I saw from the clips it looked like there were at best 6000 fans in attendance. That's disturbing especially when one of the best players in the games and one of the more entertaining teams were playing. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you go to Sabres.com you can bring up the 8 min post game remarks of the coach. He was asked about Cozens and what he said to him prior to the game. He is really brilliant in understanding the psychology of each player on his roster and bringing out their respective talents. In the human relations and people skills this coach is masterful. 

I apologize for not being able to bring up the specific link for the post game comments but they are on this page, including the highlights.  

The reported paid attendance for this game was a 8258. From what I saw from the clips it looked like there were at best 6000 fans in attendance. That's disturbing especially when one of the best players in the games and one of the more entertaining teams were playing. 

Paying fans are all Canadian 

1 minute ago, triumph_communes said:

Paying fans are all Canadian 

That appears to be the case. I don't know if it is an accurate figure but one estimate that I heard is 40%. I'm still disappointed in the attendance. Although this is an incomplete team it gives effort and is entertaining. It's a team that you can root for.

11 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This absolutely why Granato is the coach.  He needs to, and seems to, get these decisions right more often than not.

Just listened to Grsnato and Cozens’ post games. I felt proud for Cozens, that’s a great thing to feel for a player/team.  I felt the same way watching Tuch’s introductory interviews, even though he has yet to play a game.  I just get a genuine feeling from a lot of these guys, and I haven’t felt that way about the Sabres in several years.  I think that starts at the top.

This team isn’t good yet, but when they get there, I truly believe that we are all going to feel so incredibly proud of them, both as a team and as individuals.

I think we as a fan base are pretty broken right now.  I think this core group developing now is going to teach us to love this team again.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

This absolutely why Granato is the coach.  He needs to, and seems to, get these decisions right more often than not.

Just listened to Grsnato and Cozens’ post games. I felt proud for Cozens, that’s a great thing to feel for a player/team.  I felt the same way watching Tuch’s introductory interviews, even though he has yet to play a game.  I just get a genuine feeling from a lot of these guys, and I haven’t felt that way about the Sabres in several years.  I think that starts at the top.

This team isn’t good yet, but when they get there, I truly believe that we are all going to feel so incredibly proud of them, both as a team and as individuals.

I think we as a fan base are pretty broken right now.  I think this core group developing now is going to teach us to love this team again.

I’ve said before that the rosters we’ve been icing since about 2010 have been unloveable, save maybe an Okposo or two.  These guys could grow on me.  Cozens is easy to root for.  I’m already smitten with The Mule and he’s not even here full time yet.  Tuch seems genuine. It’s easy to cheer for Toker.

Quite a change of pace after the era of tankfruit that, while certainly talented, were rather unlikeable otherwise.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

That appears to be the case. I don't know if it is an accurate figure but one estimate that I heard is 40%. I'm still disappointed in the attendance. Although this is an incomplete team it gives effort and is entertaining. It's a team that you can root for.

It is disappointing when you consider the team is 5-1-1 at home, plays with energy, it was a Friday night, and it was the only opportunity to see McDavid (barring a Cup Final matchup) in Buffalo all season...   thanks, ownership!

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.