Predict the Sabres lineup for April 29 2022

Crusader1969

Hmm

Skinner - Mitts - Tuch

Asplund - Thompson - Olofsson 

R2 - Hayden - Bjork

Girgensons - Eakin - Okposo

Cozens plays some in Rochester so he can help in their Calder Cup chase.

Dahlin - Pysyk

Hagg - Jokijarju

Wolanin - Bryson 

Samuelsson plays in Buffalo for 30+ games but is with Rochester for their playoffs.

Hinostroza, Cagguila, Miller and Butcher are  all dealt at the deadline to an assortment of teams. Hinostroza and Miller bring surprisingly good returns whereas the other return 5ths or less. We retain half on both dmen.

The Amerks last game is the 24th of April which would mean the AHL playoffs would be starting around the 29th hence the lesser roster.

Edited by thewookie1

The whole team is suspended after a far too successful 4/20 at home against the Senators, and because you said no trades could be made to acquire players the current Rochester Amerks short of the few who are already on the team on 4/20 fill out the roster.

Unfortunately for the new guys the locker room is off limits because the events of 4/20 leave a smoky haze that lasts for days.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

The whole team is suspended after a far too successful 4/20 at home against the Senators, and because you said no trades could be made to acquire players the current Rochester Amerks short of the few who are already on the team on 4/20 fill out the roster.

Unfortunately for the new guys the locker room is off limits because the events of 4/20 leave a smoky haze that lasts for days.

Hi there Spicoli... dude...

38 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I honestly don't see much turnover.  Based on the desired players on trade boards, they basically won't trade the people other teams would want for mere picks.

I think they can and should sell of any pending UFA who garners interest in exchange for picks.

I think Samuelsson, Johnson, Power, Peterka, Krebs and Quinn make that both viable and necessary.

I also think they can and should launder or take on bad expiring contracts in order to help teams that need to free up cap space, again for picks.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think they can and should sell of any pending UFA who garners interest in exchange for picks.

I think Samuelsson, Johnson, Power, Peterka, Krebs and Quinn make that both viable and necessary.

I also think they can and should launder or take on bad expiring contracts in order to help teams that need to free up cap space, again for picks.

I agree, but it looks like no one wants most of our UFA's.  Maybe a cap crunch can work in our favour to move the parts which are not going to stay around.

24 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I agree, but it looks like no one wants most of our UFA's.  Maybe a cap crunch can work in our favour to move the parts which are not going to stay around.

46 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Absolutely, plus after the TDL there are no restrictions on roster size as long as the player is signed to on of the Team’s 50 Contracts 

• Like (+1) 1

Skinner - Tage - Asplund
Caggiula - Cozens - Hinostroza
Zemgus - Eakin - Okposo
Bjork - Ruotsalainen - Hayden

Butcher - Dahlin
Hagg - Pysyk
Bryson - Miller

Olofsson: Out day-to-day, nothing serious, soft tissue Will not play the remainder of 2021-22 season based on standard Sabres injury estimate conversion calculator
Mitts: Out a few weeks Will miss 15 months based on standard Sabres injury estimate conversion calculator
Jokiharju Out a little longer than a few weeks Will never put on ice skates again based on standard Sabres injury estimate conversion calculator 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What about next fall?

Skinner Mitts Tuch

Krebs Cozens Quinn

Asplund Thompson JJP

Girgensons Jankowski Okposo

Bjork

Dahlin Jokiharju

Bryson Samuelsson

Power Fitzgerald

Hagg Pysyk

Trade VO for a real goaltender

Tokarski

How’s that for a scary talented buy very young roster.  

That team would likely be bottom 5-7 in the league.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

Untested in the NHL talent.  They will struggle for awhile.

Only 2 forwards on the list haven’t yet played in the NHL yet and they will and only 3 aren’t established NHL players.  There are only 2 rookies on the backend and one is Power, which is why I kept vets Hagg and Pysyk. Upgrade the goaltending and the above group will compete for a playoff spot.

56 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Seriously? The current team with 50% JAGs is 22nd in the NHL.  This proposed team is a huge upgrade in talent.  

The current standings aren’t reflective of an 82-game NHL season. The proposed team is incredibly inexperienced and a couple of those guys are unlikely to secure full NHL careers at any point, let alone next season.

The team will need a handful of outside additions in the offseason to fill out the roster if the hope is to get out of the basement.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Only 2 forwards on the list haven’t yet played in the NHL yet and they will and only 3 aren’t established NHL players.  There are only 2 rookies on the backend and one is Power, which is why I kept vets Hagg and Pysyk. Upgrade the goaltending and the above group will compete for a playoff spot.

Spin it any way you want.  You’ve got 6 Calder eligible players on that roster plus a couple more that we don’t have a firm grasp on their NHL level.  That’s a bold move, Cotton.  And certainly one that is lokely to struggle.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Seriously? The current team with 50% JAGs is 22nd in the NHL.  This proposed team is a huge upgrade in talent.  

True, and I know they won the Stanley Cup last night (after dropping the last 5 straight Stanley Cups before it) but it’s real early

18 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The current standings aren’t reflective of an 82-game NHL season. The proposed team is incredibly inexperienced and a couple of those guys are unlikely to secure full NHL careers at any point, let alone next season.

The team will need a handful of outside additions in the offseason to fill out the roster if the hope is to get out of the basement.

I agree with you but I actually don’t think the bold happens, if I had to guess. We saw how Adams approached the roster - he only brought in JAGS. I assume his “no block” philosophy continues 

He probably intends on continuing it until enough youth emerges that no “block” is required, anyways 

Edited by Thorny

If you're going to bring that many kids up, split them up

1. JJP-Cozens-Tuch                 Big and Fast
  2. Olofsson-Mitts-Quinn          3 Goal scorers with passing ability
  3. Skinner-Thompson-Asplund  Why breakup your best current line
  4. Girgs-Krebs-Okposo             Let Krebs learn the ropes from the vets
  5. Samuelsson-Dahlin
  6. Power-Joki
  7. Bryson-???                       It wouldn't shock me if they kept 1 of Pysyk or Miller on a short term/$ contract
  8. 2 new GKs

This way the kids get to play but won't be as overwhelmed playing with guys with experience at the NHL level. Mix and match the lines as injuries occur. 

• Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, jsb said:

If you're going to bring that many kids up, split them up

1. JJP-Cozens-Tuch                 Big and Fast
  2. Olofsson-Mitts-Quinn          3 Goal scorers with passing ability
  3. Skinner-Thompson-Asplund  Why breakup your best current line
  4. Girgs-Krebs-Okposo             Let Krebs learn the ropes from the vets
  5. Samuelsson-Dahlin
  6. Power-Joki
  7. Bryson-???                       It wouldn't shock me if they kept 1 of Pysyk or Miller on a short term/$ contract
  8. 2 new GKs

This way the kids get to play but won't be as overwhelmed playing with guys with experience at the NHL level. Mix and match the lines as injuries occur. 

I feel like those are definitely good lines and quite balanced. We’d probably see a fairly even split of usage, maybe mitts line getting the most.

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.