Was Dahlin dumb?

PASabreFan

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Your issue is that the variable your looking is time during the season

My 2 variables are time in the league and time away from the absolute worst, trash, moronic, chicken little coach in Krueger 

As an analyst, when a season is lost, don't you weigh that period differently than when a season is new?

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

As an analyst, when a season is lost, don't you weigh that period differently than when a season is new?

So your take away is that in a lost season, a player getting better is worth less when they have less to play for?

10 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I hate this thread.  Should be locked. 
no issue with discussing Dahlins play but the title is immature at best. 

Yup 

28 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Unless the team is good, I'm probably going to continue to not care about Rasmus Dahlin.

Not care? Didn't you create this thread?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So your take away is that in a lost season, a player getting better is worth less when they have less to play for?

As someone who's frequently expressed concerns about guys putting up numbers in garbage time, I think the issue is more that the opponents don't bring their A game when they are playing a Sabres team in March that is running for the bus yet again -- so the numbers that the guys who may be getting better might just be a mirage.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

As someone who's frequently expressed concerns about guys putting up numbers in garbage time, I think the issue is more that the opponents don't bring their A game when they are playing a Sabres team in March that is running for the bus yet again -- so the numbers that the guys who may be getting better might just be a mirage.

Wouldn't some of these teams be playing their best though because of playoff implications?

I don't honestly know, it's possible. I would add Dahlin looks better than November and it's been pretty consistent so I think there is a true improvement happening. 

Idk if I buy teams are taking games off because Buffalo, in March. 

57 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Unless the team is good, I'm probably going to continue to not care about Rasmus Dahlin.

I see that.

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not care? Didn't you create this thread?

My interpretation, and @PASabreFan will speak up if I'm full of it, is that the jersey matters, not the player.

The more hyped the player, the higher the level of antipathy if the team results aren't there. If I remember correctly, he pushed back hard against Ryan Miller for precisely that reason.

I can't remember @PASabreFan embracing a player for simply being "good," the way, say, you and I embraced Reinhart, or many are embracing Tuch.

Edited by dudacek

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I see that.

My interpretation, and @PASabreFan will speak up if I'm full of it, is that the jersey matters, not the player.

The more hyped the player, the higher the level of antipathy if the results aren't there. If I remember correctly, he pushed back hard against Ryan Miller for precisely that reason.

I can't remember @PASabreFan embracing a player for simply being "good," the way, say, you and I embraced Reinhart, or many are embracing Tuch.

I think he should try it on for size. Not trying to be a 🍆
Remember the ascent of Brian Campbell? That was fun. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Dahlin is not dumb. He was a young, overmatched dman trying to do too much on a bad hockey team with little support. As the talent improves around him he will look smarter.

It's already happening.  Bryson is not the best Dman, but he's very mobile and I think that complements Dahlin's game pretty well.  The forwards did a nice job in Toronto as far as supporting the D in their own zone too.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Why would you not try to be an eggplant?  I love eggplant if it's prepared right.

Soupy was all about the sweat, baby.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Why would you not try to be an eggplant?  I love eggplant if it's prepared right.

Soupy was all about the sweat, baby.

I’ve heard the Campbell comparisons a bunch.  That felt very different to me.  Brian was on the brink of not making the league but when the league decided to start actually calling penalties, he excelled.  He obviously propelled that into a very successful NHL career but he was so maligned. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’ve heard the Campbell comparisons a bunch.  That felt very different to me.  Brian was on the brink of not making the league but when the league decided to start actually calling penalties, he excelled.  He obviously propelled that into a very successful NHL career but he was so maligned. 

👀

🍆

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Isn’t it traditionally thought that good teams ramp up their play as the season progresses?  That it’s “easier” to win games earning the season?

I have a difficult time squaring the two ideas that early season games don’t really count because teams haven’t turned it on yet, and also that late season games don’t really count because that’s garbage time.  So, does only the middle 1/3rd of the season really count?

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Isn’t it traditionally thought that good teams ramp up their play as the season progresses?  That it’s “easier” to win games earning the season?

Yes, seasons tend to start looser and higher scoring. Upon reaching January the regular season begins to buckle down which makes games more difficult in general. It’s where teams like the Sabres the past few years have died. When teams locked down, the Sabres had no ability to break through and would slowly cease playing. While the Sabres general skill is lower this year; they seem a bit more resilient to completely surrendering like in years past.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I have a difficult time squaring the two ideas that early season games don’t really count because teams haven’t turned it on yet, and also that late season games don’t really count because that’s garbage time.  So, does only the middle 1/3rd of the season really count?

Only even-strength primary points, scored in tight games, against strong competition, without superior linemates, facing teams in a playoff race, when your team is also in a playoff race, when you aren’t catching your opponent on the 2nd night of back-to-backs, or the 1st game back from a road trip, when Ralph Krueger is not your coach count.

Keep up.

• Haha (+1) 3

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

We’ve faced a huge run on backup goalies the whole year, never mind just garbage time. It’s definitely a factor 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Curt said:

I’d wager it’s a year long factor rather than a garbage time factor. 

It’s not like we always get the B effort but good teams ramping up for the good teams and playing down to bad teams is a tale as old as time 

- - - 

It’s not a comment on Dahlin either. There’s been no bigger backer on the board through every season of his career than I 

Edited by Thorny

34 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Already has 14 more points than his output from last season and has played 2 less games

37 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Rasmus Dahlin has *53%* more assists than the NEXT CLOSEST assist-getter on the team. He’s having a pretty remarkable showing this year 

That’s my boy!!

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was Dahlin dumb to punish the crap out of the Leafs most dangerous player to the point he snaps and gets suspended?

Was Dahlin dumb to inspire Cozens to level Mathews with a clean centre ice check?

Was Dahlin dumb to say "(shrug) that's hockey" when prodded by reporters about the cross-checking?

I don't think this kid is what some people thought he was.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.