Was Dahlin dumb?

PASabreFan

He is not dumb.  This is a silly, if not inappropriate, conversation.  

What is dumb is this abomination of an NHL roster and the pairing of a guy like Dahlin with a really lousy player like Butcher.  That guy stinks.  

Dahlin had a bad road trip.  LET IT GO.  What do want to do, run the next guy out of town?  

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

What is dumb is this abomination of an NHL roster and the pairing of a guy like Dahlin with a really lousy player like Butcher.  That guy stinks.  

Dahlin had a bad road trip.  LET IT GO.  What do want to do, run the next guy out of town?  

How would you like to be paired with Dahlin?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

How would you like to be paired with Dahlin?

I would love it but at 63 I’m just too old, and I have had a full knee replacement so I’m probably even slower than Butcher.  I would still keep the net clear and drop the gloves if need be.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Honestly, I have wondered this since he was drafted.  I don't want to be mean, but he does come off as a little, yes, dumb.  I'm sure this is going to generate some controversy, and that's not my aim here.  

Knew a beer league hockey guy would was really good. We had 8 forwards instead of 9 that day (usually iced 6+4 or 9+4). We told him we were going with 3 sets of wings and two centers. His head almost exploded. lol

42 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

What an incredibly racist thread. ESL and accent does not mean dumb. 

He is forced to play top minutes with the worst team in the leagues healthy scratch from last year, yet somehow is getting all the blame. 

This thread is mean, probably even inappropriate, but it’s not racist.

• Thanks (+1) 3

Dahlin's rookie year the forward crop was much better then now or in the previous two seasons.

Are offensive defenseman like Dahlin more co-dependent on having skilled forwards then the other way around? For example if you plop Dahlin on Edmonton now, how many points does Dahlin rack up this year?

I used to think he needed better players to think the game the way he does.

Alot of times he will make a slick little pass to an unexpecting teammate that ends up on the other teams stick for an easy goal or easy break out of their own zone. 

Those look like obvious turnovers but alot of the time, if the other player anticipated the pass, it would end up in a better result most likely.

Now it seems he has no confidence to make a play because he can't trust his teammates to finish what he starts. 

His defense, well that just hasn't been good in the league to date.

He is starting to get caved in on a nightly basis. 

I wouldn't doubt that other teams are really going after him on each possession because they know he's a liability and have game planned for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hawerchuk said:

This may be premature, but I would seriously contemplate trading him at the deadline. Buffalo could probably get a nice return. He has looked terrible for a long time now and last night vs Seattle he was a disaster. Is he a freaking defenseman or what? He sure doesn't play defense.

I did put a post up in the Eichel thread after he was traded. I asked if we could fire up the trade Dahlin thread, and I wasn't kidding.

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I would love it but at 63 I’m just too old, and I have had a full knee replacement so I’m probably even slower than Butcher.  I would still keep the net clear and drop the gloves if need be.  

In only 17 years, you'll be as old as @PASabreFan, who started this thread.  Of course, he'll be 97 by then. But hey, now you have a goal.  Goals are good.

• Haha (+1) 1

He has elite edges (maybe the best the Sabres have ever had) and hands...  Also he's near-elite at creating plays in the offensive zone.

He is at or below replacement level at playing actual defense.

He's a forward trying to be a D. Give him a few games upfront once Samuelsson and Laaksonen are ready. We will be better for it.

6 hours ago, kas23 said:

Well, Housley is currently a 3-star General of Tank Command in Arizona. If history repeats itself, and it always does, Housley should be out of a job within the next 1-2 years. Maybe he can come back?

Oh I know, but what I'm suggesting is the style Housley put forward was one that suited Dahlin's skill set and set him up to fail in the sense that it let him thrive offensively, but failed to develop him defensively. 

16 hours ago, Pimlach said:

It’ll be interesting to see, when he does go, if fans expect him to say “thanks” to the fans on the way out. 

I mean, I assume he would, unless he’s reading stuff online like this from the most hardcore of fans, calling him dumb, ugly, etc 

He better show real loyalty! 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.