Was Dahlin dumb?

PASabreFan

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

It’ll be interesting to see, when he does go, if fans expect him to say “thanks” to the fans on the way out. 

I mean, I assume he would, unless he’s reading stuff online like this from the most hardcore of fans, calling him dumb, ugly, etc 

He better show real loyalty! 

He doesn't read.

Something is not working right in that kid's head.  Early in the game tonight he showed some muscle taking out a Detroit player along the boards and neutralizing him....great play!  Late in the third, he forgets one of the most basic rules of playing the man instead of the puck and BOOM, game tied.  It's like watching Jekyll and Hyde.

2 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Something is not working right in that kid's head.  Early in the game tonight he showed some muscle taking out a Detroit player along the boards and neutralizing him....great play!  Late in the third, he forgets one of the most basic rules of playing the man instead of the puck and BOOM, game tied.  It's like watching Jekyll and Hyde.

He is now 200+ games into his NHL career and he’s still making the kind of mistakes you’d expect from someone in his first year. It happens continuously. 

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

People seem to forget that Victor Hedman was a  mega bust and the light turned on at 23

Dahlin will be fine 

I don't recall Hedman ever being close to as bad defensively as Dahlin. He just didn't rack up the points like he does now.

Dahlin is worse than replacement level defensively, and there have been many, many 21 year olds in the league that have played much, much better defense than him.

He's a forward pretending to be a defenseman. Put him in a position that comes naturally to him, where he can succeed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

People seem to forget that Victor Hedman was a  mega bust and the light turned on at 23

Dahlin will be fine 

Thank you.  I absolutely hate how some Sabres fans turn on their best players 

now that Jack and Sam are gone. , guess we need to dump on Cozens and Dahlin?  yes he’s played 200 games in the NHL, the fact remains - he is still 21.  Most 21 year old Dmen are still in the minors.  It’s unfortunate that Buffalo decided to have them learn the Pro game in the NHL rather than AHL.  
Hedman is the PERFECT example   Took till 23 to find his way.  

• Like (+1) 5

I'm not trying to "fix the internet" here, but I just want to say that I think the title of this thread is terrible and should be changed.  I think it reflects poorly not just on the OP and the site but on all of us who post here.  There are ways to express concerns about a player's skills, effort or Hockey IQ without using words like dumb or garbage or trash; particularly on a home team forum.

Recent events inform us that players may have things going on off the ice that can impact how they perform. It would be good if we tried to be mindful of that when we post. 

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I don't recall Hedman ever being close to as bad defensively as Dahlin. He just didn't rack up the points like he does now.

Dahlin is worse than replacement level defensively, and there have been many, many 21 year olds in the league that have played much, much better defense than him.

He's a forward pretending to be a defenseman. Put him in a position that comes naturally to him, where he can succeed.

I don’t think his skills really translate as a forward either.  Average speed, below average shot. I mean it doesn’t seem to translate into a defenseman either.  Quite frankly, I’m not sure he’s an NHL caliber player.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/6/2021 at 8:44 AM, pi2000 said:

He desperately needs a mentor... a savy veteran to guide him.   It's not too late, but the window is closing.   

Power will need the same attention.

Somebody like a Teppo Numminen, get it done KA.

Yes he does.  A a minimum, put him on the left side and pair him with Pysyk.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Dahlin is playing with a woeful  team comprised of mostly AHL level players.   Hedman never dealt with that.

Dahlin is paired with Butcher, playing on his wrong side, and playing lots of minutes.   Granato can fix everyone of these issues, he needs to take charge and help this kid out.  No reason at all why a smart and steady vet like Pysyk should not get a shot with Dahlin.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

Yes, it would be great if Dahlin and all the rest of the players had great players around them. A team full of great players would sure be great, no doubt. But my question from last night remains: how do we explain the numerous unforced errors by Dahlin himself? Plays that none of his lesser teammates had any hand in him making? 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yes, it would be great if Dahlin and all the rest of the players had great players around them. A team full of great players would sure be great, no doubt. But my question from last night remains: how do we explain the numerous unforced errors by Dahlin himself? Plays that none of his lesser teammates had any hand in him making? 

Critical thinking will get you nowhere here — except on approved ***** lists.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don’t think his skills really translate as a forward either.  Average speed, below average shot. I mean it doesn’t seem to translate into a defenseman either.  Quite frankly, I’m not sure he’s an NHL caliber player.

With his edges, hands, and vision he's a ppg player. When he's down low in the offensive end, he's always creating something a lot of times out of nothing.

To be able to rack up what he has already from the point tells you what he can do.

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

I'm not trying to "fix the internet" here, but I just want to say that I think the title of this thread is terrible and should be changed.  I think it reflects poorly not just on the OP and the site but on all of us who post here.  There are ways to express concerns about a player's skills, effort or Hockey IQ without using words like dumb or garbage or trash; particularly on a home team forum.

Recent events inform us that players may have things going on off the ice that can impact how they perform. It would be good if we tried to be mindful of that when we post. 

Your last sentence suggests we cannot live in a world where public figures are ever criticized, because we never know what they have going on. If you believe that, you really shouldn't be here.

As for your problem with "dumb," would you really prefer, "depressed ice hockey cognitive ability"?

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Anxious, Panic, trying to do too much, fatigue, lack of confidence … Granato has to do something to help him because he us clearly in a major slump in the  defensive zone. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Your last sentence suggests we cannot live in a world where public figures are ever criticized, because we never know what they have going on. If you believe that, you really shouldn't be here.

As for your problem with "dumb," would you really prefer, "depressed ice hockey cognitive ability"?

I’m not suggesting Dahlin, or any public figure, is above criticism. Just that words like “dumb” are unnecessarily provocative and possibly harmful. Particularly in the thread title of a home team fan forum. I understand you and others would disagree. 

Since you asked, my thread title for this topic would be something like: “Can we expect Dahlin to figure it out?” or “Will Dahlin ever become the player we drafted?

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I’m not suggesting Dahlin, or any public figure, is above criticism. Just that words like “dumb” are unnecessarily provocative and possibly harmful. Particularly in the thread title of a home team fan forum. I understand you and others would disagree. 

Since you asked, my thread title for this topic would be something like: “Can we expect Dahlin to figure it out?” or “Will Dahlin ever become the player we drafted?

This is generally not a place where there's pressure to present the team and its players in a positive light. If there's a place like that on the Internet, I'd like to see it. As Mike Harrington has told Terry to his face, all the players have to do to be supported by the media and the fans is to win.

Your titles fall a little short for me. Mine is more specific, although admittedly sharp in its wording.

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Dumb is not a good word to use at all.  I think you mean low hockey IQ as  he is not making smart decisions in our zone.   

I am not a fan of overly PC stuff but calling him dumb is not a good look.   He is not dumb.  That is ridiculous to say.  

He is a 21 year old player struggling under huge expectations while toiling on a very bad team.  He gets run hard a lot by the opposition, and I started a thread stating that he needs to push back until it stops.  I still believe that.  In Seattle he was jousting with Schwartz, holding his own, and meanwhile a Kracken player grabs him from behind.  He needs a partner that will light that guy up.  He is playing with a bunch of bums and I think the lack of a solid veteran is a big problem hindering his development.  

If I’m coach he goes to the left side, gets paired with Pysyk, and he gets some minutes cut back.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.