Was Dahlin dumb?

PASabreFan

This may be premature, but I would seriously contemplate trading him at the deadline. Buffalo could probably get a nice return. He has looked terrible for a long time now and last night vs Seattle he was a disaster. Is he a freaking defenseman or what? He sure doesn't play defense.

• Like (+1) 5

More hockey IQ than anything else, but his demeanor and speech make me wonder. And, no, it's not about his command of English.

59 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’ve heard him speak many times.

In two different languages.

There are many dumb European kids who learn English.

Edited by PASabreFan
Im dumb

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

More hockey IQ than anything else, but his demeanor and speech make me wonder. And, no, it's not about his command of English.

There are many dumb European kids who learn English.

I was making a dad joke.

adjective

1. temporarily unable or unwilling to speak.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

This may be premature, but I would seriously contemplate trading him at the deadline. Buffalo could probably get a nice return. He has looked terrible for a long time now and last night vs Seattle he was a disaster. Is he a freaking defenseman or what? He sure doesn't play defense.

While he is young and still relatively inexperienced, I concur.  He can look so good in spurts but the majority of his play since he's been here has been consistently inconsistent.  The only consistency is that he is turnover machine and his play in his own zone is horrendous.  I remember hearing comparisons to Nik Lidstrom when he first came out, but he is not even on the same planet and I'm not sure additional experience will fix him.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I'm a shirt tail relative of someone who regularly golfs with the Jacobs family (or, at least, used to - I have not asked in a while). One of my favourite stories that he'd relate is how Jeremy would hoot and holler about how incredibly dumb - "as a box of rocks!" he'd apparently say - Ray Borque was. 

Just thinking back wasn't this the Risto critique too? 

He certainly looked dumb slapping at the puck and then tripping over the goalpost. That one is going to rank as this year's dumb frustration move much like Eichel's old stick smash did before, but is he actually dumb? 

Probably? Maybe? Does it matter? That's why we have coaches isn't it? Work with the slower (mentally) ones. 

Dahlin has not been developed properly, basics were not drilled into him early (and if he is dumb that would be even more important as he'd need muscle memory and instinct and habit over thinking and reacting) and so he will always be an imperfect thing I think. Pair him with a solid defender, that's the best we can do. 

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm a shirt tail relative of someone who regularly golfs with the Jacobs family (or, at least, used to - I have not asked in a while). One of my favourite stories that he'd relate is how Jeremy would hoot and holler about how incredibly dumb - "as a box of rocks!" he'd apparently say - Ray Borque was. 

Had to look that up. I had never heard this term before.

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

To discuss his hockey IQ. Does he come off as smart?

I see you are also not a dad.

Honestly, I have wondered this since he was drafted.  I don't want to be mean, but he does come off as a little, yes, dumb.  I'm sure this is going to generate some controversy, and that's not my aim here.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.