Potential Sabres deadline moves(sellers)…

LabattBlue

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Aren’t we all? 🙄

He lists a dozen UFA defencemen who might be moved and most are better than Miller.

To our benefit, Miller is cheaper than most and right-handed. I still say 3rd.

Could see him bringing back a 2nd.  IF Adams gets a 1st for him, he's a magician & the question becomes WTF can't he use some of that magic to land a current goalie.

But yeah, a 3rd is more likely.

• Like (+1) 1

If you compare Miller’s Fancy Stats this year to David Savard’s from last season I can see why they are asking for a First. Savard is an outstanding defensive defenseman, but Miller brings a potential offensive upside.

1BF17933-12D5-4DEB-8C8F-B5B7F25B73D3.jpeg

A1D5BD08-90E6-4780-9292-5C11B98FAFA6.jpeg

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If you compare Miller’s Fancy Stats this year to David Savard’s from last season I can see why they are asking for a First. Savard is an outstanding defensive defenseman, but Miller brings a potential offensive upside.

1BF17933-12D5-4DEB-8C8F-B5B7F25B73D3.jpeg

A1D5BD08-90E6-4780-9292-5C11B98FAFA6.jpeg

I'd take a first in 2023 if that got this done. 

• Like (+1) 1

I can't see a 1st for Miller. If they do, great.  I was thinking if he was moved, I'd thought they would be hoping for a 3rd but maybe getting a 4th or 5th...of course they know that market 1000 times (or more) better than I do.

There is a value to 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks at times. They rarely make the NHL, but there is that 'lottery pick' aspect to them. You can get a Klingberg or a Mark Stone, Brayden Point or a Johnny Gaudreau...but those guys in the middle round are rare, once again it is a lottery ticket.  The thing is, there are only so many contracts you are allowed to have as a team, you can't just keep stockpiling and stockpiling these 'lottery tickets' waiting for one to hit.  I think the Sabres are at that point.

To some teams (Pittsburgh is a good example), their minor league system is so bare they can use a lot of those extra 3rd or 4th or 5th rounders to restock.  The Sabres, if they do draft, have to focus on quality.  What does that mean?  I think the Sabres are at a point where if you can trade Miller for a 2nd....you are close to getting a 1st but can't quite do it...then you trade him and thrown in one of your 3rds or even a second to upgrade to that first.  

You have another pending FA someone wants but only wants to give you a 5th?  See if you can trade that player and your 5th rounder to get the other teams 3rd or even 4th rounder back.    

If a guy isn't going to be with you next year, the thought was 'get SOMETHING for him', even if its a late round pick.  Right now, I don't want something back for them...I'd trade them instead to upgrade my current draft position.  If that means giving someone away and going from your early 4th round pick and upgrading that to a middle-to-late 3rd rounder...so be it.

If they are even CLOSE to getting a 1st for Miller but no one bites....I'd take my 3rd rounder (even though it will be a high 3rd) and throw it in with Miller if that gets it done.

43 minutes ago, Digger said:

Miller for a 1st?  Always remember that we got a first for Gaustad.  Just need the right market and conditions and maybe lots of injuries to the playoff teams needing a right handed D.  It's not likely but you never know.

And remember what came of that deal?

That first was flipped to Calgary along with Buffalo's 2nd..and that was turned into...Zemgus

Calgary then used Nashville's first that they got from Buffalo and selected current Sabre...Mark Jankowski

The 2nd that the Sabres sent to Calgary, the Flames took...Patrick Sieloff (who was later traded by the Flames to Ottawa for Alex Chiasson, and Sieloff since then has pretty much been a career minor leaguer)

So Buffalo basically traded Gaustad and a 2nd (that became Sieloff) for Zemgus

I guess Buffalo won that trade?

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

And remember what came of that deal?

That first was flipped to Calgary along with Buffalo's 2nd..and that was turned into...Zemgus

Calgary then used Nashville's first that they got from Buffalo and selected current Sabre...Mark Jankowski

The 2nd that the Sabres sent to Calgary, the Flames took...Patrick Sieloff (who was later traded by the Flames to Ottawa for Alex Chiasson, and Sieloff since then has pretty much been a career minor leaguer)

So Buffalo basically traded Gaustad and a 2nd (that became Sieloff) for Zemgus

I guess Buffalo won that trade?

Barely.  Maybe.  Girgs is essentially a younger version of goose but while he has more offensive skill, he lacks with Paul’s strengths.  Faceoffs, size, etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd take a first in 2023 if that got this done. 

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Some hotshot GM that thinks he has a shot to knock over TB and thinks he is missing a coveted RHD with some offense potential and not glaring defensive downside will cough up 1st for Miller.

Zero chance. 

ESPECIALLY the 2023 first. 

We aren't getting a 1st for Miller - don't get your hopes up 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

We weren't getting Krebs for Eichel either. 

Krebs being included always made sense though - it was rumor from individual sources (and especially probably Vegas themselves) that said he wasn't available.

Guys like Miller don't get moved for 1sts as a general rule. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Krebs being included always made sense though - it was rumor from individual sources (and especially probably Vegas themselves) that said he wasn't available.

Guys like Miller don't get moved for 1sts as a general rule. 

David Savard got moved for a 1st.

Risto got moved for a first and more

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

David Savard got moved for a 1st.

Risto got moved for a first and more

Miller doesn't have the perceived value those guys have - and Risto wasn't even a deadline deal 

I'll happily come to terms on a charity wager if there are terms amendable to you! 

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Miller doesn't have the perceived value those guys have - and Risto wasn't even a deadline deal 

I'll happily come to terms on a charity wager if there are terms amendable to you! 

If I'm being honest, I don't actually care what we get for him

We're not getting much for any of our FA players. Miller might get us a decent pick (a first is laughable) but I don't expect more than a 4th or 5th. 

The only thing Sabres are in a position to do is take on salary from contenders who need to open up space to add somebody from somewhere else. If this is a serious rebuild they can get some assets with all that cap room but that of course depends on Terry. 

I fully expect us to do virtually nothing. 

44 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

We're not getting much for any of our FA players. Miller might get us a decent pick (a first is laughable) but I don't expect more than a 4th or 5th. 

The only thing Sabres are in a position to do is take on salary from contenders who need to open up space to add somebody from somewhere else. If this is a serious rebuild they can get some assets with all that cap room but that of course depends on Terry. 

I fully expect us to do virtually nothing. 

It depends on Kevyn.  Terry Pegula has never, ever been cheap with this team.

6 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Never? <eyes O'Reilly trade>

True.  But XGMJB could always have chosen not to trade O'Reilly.  The original sin of the O'Reilly trade is the idea of moving him in the first place.

• Like (+1) 2

The most valuable player we might make available at the deadline is Hinostroza.  Cheap contract and adds speed and secondary scoring.  I can see us getting a second for him.   

Pysyk should attract interest if made available.  

The biggest splash move would be trading Olofsson.  We’d get a first for him, but I doubt he’ll get traded at the deadline.  I think management wants to see where the extension talks go before they consider trading him this off-sesson.

Other then Miller, Pysyk, Hagg, Hinostroza and Olofsson (if made available) I don’t see anyone with much value.  

I also don’t think Girgensons or KO will be made available. I believe KA and DG likes their leadership in the lockerroom.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.