Vegas will allow Eichel to have ADR surgery

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Why is virtually everyone on this board assuming the worst of the Pegulas with Eichel?  I know the Pegula era started off with the misbegotten tank and we are living with the worst case scenario, but are they as malicious, petty, and hot-tempered as people here think?  If so, what evidence do you have that is from a disinterested party?  Hockey talking heads don't count because they have a clear interest to curry favour with players and agents.

There's no need to assume. We have tangible evidence.

Between Lafontaine's departure/blacklisting, Botterill's hiring/firing, and now Eichel's disgruntled soap opera, it's pretty clear they're well-meaning, extremely rich idiots who have enough money to never have to answer this destroying this franchise, and so we just move on and forget they're at the centerpiece of everything bad about this team since 2011, because we're stuck with them.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

Between Lafontaine's departure/blacklisting, Botterill's hiring/firing, and now Eichel's disgruntled soap opera, it's pretty clear they're well-meaning, extremely rich idiots who have enough money to never have to answer this destroying this franchise, and so we just move on and forget they're at the centerpiece of everything bad about this team since 2011, because we're stuck with them.

That's not "the worst."  They are well-meaning incompetents by this description, which is demonstrably true.

But why assume pettiness and malice with Eichel?  First, it's Pegula's money.  Second, the insurers did not support ADR by refusing to cover it.  Third, the doctors they consulted opposed ADR.  Why is saying "no" not just a rational decision?  Sure, his relationship with Eichel might have biased his position on ADR, but IMHO, the Pegula's actions are 100% defencible from a medical and actuarial point of view.  Until I see evidence to the contrary, I assume that Eichel and Pegula acted in what they perceive to be their own best interests which happen to be pi radians (180°) opposed.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
  • Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

That's not "the worst."  They are well-meaning incompetents by this description, which is demonstrably true.

But why assume pettiness and malice with Eichel?  First, it's Pegula's money.  Second, the insurers did not support ADR by refusing to cover it.  Third, the doctors they consulted opposed ADR.  Why is saying "no" not just a rational decision?  Sure, his relationship with Eichel might have biased his position on ADR, but IMHO, the Pegula's actions are 100% defencible from a medical and actuarial point of view.  Until I see evidence to the contrary, I assume that Eichel and Pegula acted in what they perceive to be their own best interests which happen to be pi radians (180°) opposed.

People need an enemy. BTW we never got the full story on LaFontaine and as for Botterill, what happened that was so awful with him? I recall everyone cheering when he got turfed.

9 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Why is saying "no" not just a rational decision?

It wasn't 'rational' if

12 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Sure, his relationship with Eichel might have biased his position on ADR,

This would make it petty. That's my perceived problem. It being petty.

I imagine this story will come out eventually, which sucks, because it'll be a distraction. Hopefully a short one.

44 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

All true...but can't forget:

ROR trade, which materialized weeks after the player admitted he'd lost his love of the game losing so much.  And of course, there's a financial element...he was due a 7M bonus the day before he was dealt.  

The Pegula's even went so far as to blame the NHL for their recommendations on GM candidates. Sure...as if the Pegula's were innocent bystanders and didn't know anything until it was too late that Botterill wasn't good.  

The Pegula's openly admit that their lifestyle is important, going so far as to document it on a slide presentation to employees after firing so many from the front office.  I get they lost money during COVID, but so did every other NHL team.  Removing so many people was eye-opening around the NHL.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

All true...but can't forget:

ROR trade, which materialized weeks after the player admitted he'd lost his love of the game losing so much.  And of course, there's a financial element...he was due a 7M bonus the day before he was dealt.  

The Pegula's even went so far as to blame the NHL for their recommendations on GM candidates. Sure...as if the Pegula's were innocent bystanders and didn't know anything until it was too late that Botterill wasn't good.  

The Pegula's openly admit that their lifestyle is important, going so far as to document it on a slide presentation to employees after firing so many from the front office.  I get they lost money during COVID, but so did every other NHL team.  Removing so many people was eye-opening around the NHL.  

I forgot they blacklisted basically all of hockey canada too, but yeah, that's a thing.

I feel real comfortable in saying Jack didn't fully appreciate the commitment Terry made to him when he was 20, well before he was worth 80 million, but also that Terry and Kim are vindictive idiots, rich enough to never have to directly face the consequences of their stupidity.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

I forgot they blacklisted basically all of hockey canada too, but yeah, that's a thing.

I feel real comfortable in saying Jack didn't fully appreciate the commitment Terry made to him when he was 20, well before he was worth 80 million, but also that Terry and Kim are vindictive idiots, rich enough to never have to directly face the consequences of their stupidity.

I wonder if they'll order Adams to call-up the prospects from Rochester before their GM's development timeline.  Especially as this season spirals downward and tickets become even harder to sell, albeit with the border closed/limited and testing requirements.

It's also going to be interesting in future off-seasons if players leave Buffalo at first opportunity after what happened with Jack (even if per the CBA) and figured that's not an organization to play for. 

2 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Why is virtually everyone on this board assuming the worst of the Pegulas with Eichel?  I know the Pegula era started off with the misbegotten tank and we are living with the worst case scenario, but are they as malicious, petty, and hot-tempered as people here think?  If so, what evidence do you have that is from a disinterested party?  Hockey talking heads don't count because they have a clear interest to curry favour with players and agents.

It seems a high likelihood that the Pegulas reasoning as to how to handle the surgery situation was influenced by the doctors & insurers that were speaking with (or their proxy, Adams was speaking with).  They were told it was novel for a hockey player at this level & that there was another procedure that was less cutting edge that their experts recommended.

Considering both Eichel & Adams (& the owners) all agreed that the relationship was coming to an end, can see non-malicious reasons to not allow the surgery & then have him try to re-up his trade value in recovery as a Sabre.  It's still a procedure THEIR experts don't recommend.  They also have no reason to want him playing for the team when they all agree it'd be a ST thing as he can disrupt chemistry, take a job away from somebody they actually are trying to develop, & create more questions than the side show is worth.  Namely, what happens if Eichel being back causes them to win a bunch of games & what happens if the disruption to chemistry results in them losing at an even more prodigious clip & lastly & maybe least likely but most importantly what happens if he has a catastrophic injury during this league wide audition?

Lots of reasons to throw shade at ownership for the course of the franchise since they bought it.  But this is not one of those reasons IMHO.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, pi2000 said:

Glad to hear he made it out alive.   How long will be in a neck brace?  Or is he in a halo?

He's always had a halo to some.....

He's been a pain in the neck to others....

The biggest problem I have with him is he will continue to come up in posts longer than the ROR trade has.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, SabresVet said:

I believe that was in a presentation to Bills employees and well before the firings as well.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.