Lines Post-Eichel Trade

Taro T

So, the shoe finally dropped.  What does Granato do now with his shiny new toy Krebs & the one he has to wait until after the All-Star / Olympic break (Tuch)?

Until Mittelstadt comes back, might expect something along the lines of:

Asplund - Thompson - Olofsson

Girgensons - Eakin - Okposo

Skinner - Krebs - Hinostroza

Caggiula - Ruotsalainen - Cozens

With Bjork & Hayden on the outside looking in.

(Could see Vinny & Dylan flipping roles.)

When Mittelstadt comes back:

Skinner - Mittelstadt - Hinostroza/Cozens

Caggiula - Krebs - Cozens/ Ruotsalainen

(Could see Vinny on top line or outside looking in depending on whether Cozens gets out of his sophomore slump.)

When Tuch comes back, he plays with Mittelstadt & either R2 Rou2 or Cozens join Hinostroza on the outside looking in.

In 2 years, those lines (minus the checking line which will be too old) will likely look good & Cozens may have worked himself back to C.  But for right now, they're pretty thin & very reliant on a young Casey.

Thoughts? What would your lines be?

• Like (+1) 1

I’d want Krebs to go to the AHl for a year, be on a line with JJP-krebs-Quinn, and dominate for the year. Next year, bring all 3 up for a scoring 3rd line, the new rotten core if you will. 

next year we could be running:

Oloffson-Mitts-Tuch

Asplund-Cozens-Thompson

JJP-Krebs-Quinn

Girgs-x-okposo

Dahlin-Joki

power-x

samuelson-x

Bryson

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I’d want Krebs to go to the AHl for a year, be on a line with JJP-krebs-Quinn, and dominate for the year. Next year, bring all 3 up for a scoring 3rd line, the new rotten core if you will. 

next year we could be running:

Oloffson-Mitts-Tuch

Asplund-Cozens-Thompson

JJP-Krebs-Quinn

Girgs-x-okposo

Dahlin-Joki

power-x

samuelson-x

Bryson

Interesting lines.  Expecting the move to C will be permanent for Thompson.  Maybe he becomes Oposo's C?

Also, you seem to have forgotten Skinner.  Doubt they're able to punt him into the sun next year.  Maybe he takes Thompson's spot on the Cozens line?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

How about this for next year 

Skinner-Krebs-Tuch

Olosson-Mitts-Asplund

JJP-Cozens-Quinn

Okposo-Thompson-Zemgus 

fify.  Thompson with his wingspan might be the perfect shutdown line center.

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Interesting lines.  Expecting the move to C will be permanent for Thompson.  Maybe he becomes Oposo's C?

Also, you seem to have forgotten Skinner.  Doubt they're able to punt him into the sun next year.  Maybe he takes Thompson's spot on the Cozens line?

Yeah, I realized as I was finishing up those lines I forgot Skinner, but didn’t have a place I necessarily wanted him. 13th forward maybe? Perhaps 

Oloffson-mitts-asplund

skinner-Cozens-Tuch

with Thompson centering Girgs and Okposo.

Edited by sabresparaavida
  • Like (+1) 1

With Thompson switching to center, I like how we have four relatively young centers and none of them are expected to be gifted any particular line. There’s an interchangeable spine of:

Mittelstadt

Thompson

Cozens

Krebs

(Eakin)

that can move up or down based on merit.

leaves us with wing pairings to shift around:

Oloffson-Asplund

Skinner-Tuch/Hinostroza

Girgensons-Okposo

Caggiula-Bjork

and in the minors aching for promotion:

Peterka-Quinn

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

So, the shoe finally dropped.  What does Granato do now with his shiny new toy Krebs & the one he has to wait until after the All-Star / Olympic break (Tuch)?

Until Mittelstadt comes back, might expect something along the lines of:

Skinner - Krebs - Hinostroza

Caggiula - Ruotsalainen - Cozens

With Bjork & Hayden on the outside looking in.

(Could see Vinny & Dylan flipping roles.)

When Mittelstadt comes back:

Skinner - Mittelstadt - Hinostroza/Cozens

Caggiula - Krebs - Cozens/ Ruotsalainen

(Could see Vinny on top line or outside looking in depending on whether Cozens gets out of his sophomore slump.)

When Tuch comes back, he plays with Mittelstadt & either R2 Rou2 or Cozens join Hinostroza on the outside looking in.

In 2 years, those lines (minus the checking line which will be too old) will likely look good & Cozens may have worked himself back to C.  But for right now, they're pretty thin & very reliant on a young Casey.

Thoughts? What would your lines be?

IMO it's still unlikely we can afford Cozens to end up on wing LT, for what it's worth. I don't really see Casey as having a 1C ceiling so I'm hoping one of Cozens or Krebs locks that down

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

How about this for next year 

Skinner-Krebs-Tuch

Olosson-Mitts-Asplund

JJP-Cozens-Quinn

Okposo-xxx-Zemgus 

I'll let you know - as of right now I wouldn't be thrilled with penciling in a guy with....a total of 1 NHL point to his name as our 1C. 

Unless it's another development year

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

IMO it's still unlikely we can afford Cozens to end up on wing LT, for what it's worth. I don't really see Casey as having a 1C ceiling so I'm hoping one of Cozens or Krebs locks that down

And these line projections were strictly for this season.  (Mentioned specifically that Cozens would be in the mix as a C in the future.)  But have been pretty consistent in the position that if he's in the NHL right now, he should be there at RW.  And expect that after having played in the NHL last year capably until he ran out of gas that he should be in the NHL until he demonstrates he needs to go down.  And when he's ready to play C again in the NHL, give him another crack at it.

When he had that 2 assist game, his play picked up for a couple of games.  His issues right now are between the ears (well, that & he doesn't yet have the strength to play the game he expects himself to play) so let him get some work at the easier position & if he's still gripping the stick too tight, then let him tear it up at C in the AHL.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I think the Sabres Number One Center of the Future is in the 2022 or 23 Draft. 

We will have to see.

@LGR4GMwill have to tell us if there is an Aho or Barzal that would be available outside the Top 10 

Holy hell, did Murray screw up that 2015 draft.  So much talent throughout, and we got Eichel.  That's it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.