Getting to know Peyton Krebs

WildCard

The deal for Eichel is finally done, and this is the main piece. Whether or not Krebs pans out will be huge for the Sabres, lets get to know him a little better...and by that I mean @LGR4GM @rakish somebody else, tell us about Krebs.

From Elite Prospects:

image.thumb.png.432b99b9c706cbae30712900042fedb2.png

image.thumb.png.3d912a0df610dea67509c54f4dc69281.png

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/322178/peyton-krebs

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Krebs is a high character kid. Always wearing a letter, usually the captaincy.  High end wheels and extremely high smarts/ hockey sense.  If he reaches his potential I would say a fast skating Sam Reinhart.

Pretty sure the bolded is why Vegas was targeted as a trade partner.

Tuch has that reputation as well.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Great feature on who he is and where he comes from:

https://theathletic.com/970315/2019/05/10/between-chasing-pucks-and-recording-albums-how-the-krebs-are-making-their-mark-in-the-whl-and-nashville/

Consider the Krebses in full pursuit:

Maddison, 22, is making a living as a singer-songwriter. She settled in Nashville at the age of 19.

Dakota, 20, returns to the WHL for a fifth season in the fall. He left home at 16 when he cracked the lineup of the Tri-City Americans. He now skates for the Calgary Hitmen.
    Peyton, 18, star of the WHL Kootenay Ice, is a sure-fire first-rounder in the NHL draft. By 15, he was billeting in Strathmore, Alta., and playing for the midgets there.
    Dru, 16, a second-round selection at the 2018 WHL bantam draft, is bound this winter for the Medicine Hat Tigers.

Asked about their remarkably high-reaching offspring, Greg shrugs — and Cindy leaves the table, ostensibly to fetch water.

“I mean, we get lots of comments from friends and people we meet,” Greg said. “It’s pretty cool. I don’t know. We always say we found what the kids are passionate about. That’s all we did. I guess they just found their thing. Lots of kids try lots of different things and don’t find that thing.”

Dru, aiming to catch on with the Tigers, is next. Three lads, three WHL outposts.

“Some families want their kids to play together on certain junior teams,” Greg said. “We said, ‘No, you go on your own path. It’ll make you better.'”

Cindy agrees. Embrace adversity.

“Rather than hiding them from it and protecting them,” she said. “That’s a common theme now, ‘Oh, I don’t want (my child) to get cut.’ No, no. It’s OK to be cut. Then it’s how you respond. That’s what makes the difference.”

If the environment seems decidedly coddle-free, note that it also comes without pressure. Even if outsiders conclude that Greg and Cindy are whip-crackers.

Not true.

“It’s driven by you, personally,” Dakota said. “Our mom and dad aren’t going to make us stickhandle in the garage. Or make Maddison go sing. We have personal goals … our parents just support us and love us the way they do.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Pronman's top 100 players under 23: https://theathletic.com/2804584/2021/09/07/ranking-the-best-under-23-nhl-players-does-cale-makar-or-andrei-svechnikov-top-the-list/ (September 2021)

66. Peyton Krebs, C, Vegas

Jan. 26, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 180 pounds

Drafted: No. 17 in 2019

Tier: Projected bubble top and middle of lineup player

Skating: Average
Puck Skills: Average
Hockey Sense: Above-average
Compete: Above-average
Shot: Below-average

Krebs had a great season, as a dominant junior in the WHL and a top player for Canada at the world juniors. He also held his own in a few games at the AHL and NHL levels. He has a lot of pro attributes but particularly his hockey sense jumps out at you. He makes so many plays with his vision, finding ways to hit a lot of seams, create under pressure and improvise to generate a lot of chances. Krebs isn’t that big, but he’s a good skater with a high compete level, which makes you think he can play center in the NHL. His main issue is historically he doesn’t finish that much. I see someone who can be a quality top-six forward, including if he stays down the middle.

Wheeler's top 50 NHL prospects: https://theathletic.com/2723291/2021/08/16/nhl-top-50-prospects-2021-edition-byfield-caufield-and-power-headline-wheelers-drafted-skaters-ranking/ (August 2021)

26. Peyton Krebs, C/LW, 20 (Vegas Golden Knights — 17th overall, 2019)

For my money, not only was Krebs the best player in the WHL last year but he’s ready to play a full 82-game season in the NHL this year. If the Golden Knights can find a spot for him in the middle six, I’d bet on him not looking out of place in that role on a contending team that is likely to win the Pacific Division. He’s that good. Krebs isn’t going to ever score a ton of goals, but he’s the kind of player who could well score 20 goals, add 30-35 assists and be a damn-good 50-55 point player who adds speed, pace and playmaking near the top of a lineup.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.