Jack Eichel and 2023 3rd Traded to Vegas for F Alex Tuch, C Peyton Krebs, 2022 1st Top Ten Protected and 2023 2nd

Brawndo

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Buffalo Sabres handled this breakup poorly

Eichel handled the breakup poorly

Doesn't mean the Sabres are idiots or that Eichel was the reason for the losing. 

But the origin story, pretty clearly, is that the Sabres' "brass" identified Eichel as a problem. Just character issues that someone didn't like — or character issues that contributed to losing? I'd bet on the latter. It's professional sports. Within reason, even if Eichel is not a Boy Scout, if the Sabres won with him, he'd still be here.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Cozens could even move to wing.   You really want to send him down though, that is obvious.  

I don't make that call.  He seems just a bit behind the play though.  I trust Sabres mgt to handle his development correctly.  Krebs to me is the shiny new toy and all I've seen are highlight videos.  Maybe when he gets here it will become apparent that he's the best candidate for some time on the farm.  I'm flattered that you seem to think my opinion is that well informed though.  😉

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, wsam4031 said:

as happy as i am this drama is finally over i think the return for eichel was not very good. Unfortunately anything short of a Lindros type haul i was gonna be disappointed. Glad this is finally over though

In the context of all the circumstances, it is equatable and has the potential to play out well for the Sabres, regardless. It's not ROR stupid.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, wsam4031 said:

as happy as i am this drama is finally over i think the return for eichel was not very good. Unfortunately anything short of a Lindros type haul i was gonna be disappointed. Glad this is finally over though

The only way to get the haul you wanted was to let Jack get ADR.  I understand why the Sabres didn't want to do that; no matter what surgery Jack has, there is some risk that he won't return to form or in the worst case won't ever play again.  You either take the risk associated with him having the surgery or you pass it on to the next team which means the return is lower.  The return for the Sabres is considerable in my opinion, for a player that hasn't played to his capabilities in a year and a half.  My gut feel is that the drop off for Jack pre-injury to post-op will be on the order of the drop off experienced by Tim Connolly when he suffered the concussions.  Still a good player but not as good as he once was.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I wish we would have decided to let Eichel get the surgery, and kept him.

There is a chance that he will never play again.  There is a chance he will never play at the high level he once did.  There is a chance he won't play for the entirety of his contract.  You talk about lottery picks, but Jack's health is also a lottery pick.

• Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's pretty darn dumb imo they didn't retain salary to get a better return, reminds me of the ROR bonus issue.

It's smart in my opinion.  It would have been dead cap space just like buying a player out.  For a year or two it wouldn't matter but in the out years it would have been a detriment to the team.  They have a lot of young talent that will need to be paid before Jack's contract is finished.

• Like (+1) 1

Not an amazing return, but honestly, if Tuch becomes a steady contributor and any of the picks/Krebs turn into NHL players, I'll be happy enough. Eichel was captain and star player on a team loaded with talent for six years, and all they ever did was suck out loud, year after year. He may have tons of talent, but he never once proved to be a winner in the NHL. 

That said, I am 100% prepared for him to win nine Cups in Vegas, score 50 goals a year, and retire as the greatest player of his generation, because Buffalo. 

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

There is a chance that he will never play again.  There is a chance he will never play at the high level he once did.  There is a chance he won't play for the entirety of his contract.  You talk about lottery picks, but Jack's health is also a lottery pick.

Literally was making the point in my post that there is risk on both sides, so..

Yes, Jack is hurt, but so is Tuch. There's a lot of uncertainty built into what Krebs, and the pick, become. 

Edited by Thorny

45 minutes ago, Thorny said:

On a personal level, even preparing for this beforehand...wasn't fully mentally ready. Losing the player I liked best on the team...the most exciting player...a player I've devoted so much time and energy and thought to over the last 6 years, partly due to the place this franchise accorded this asset right from conception of the strategy...didn't think it would end this way.

I let Jack go months ago.  As far as moving him or not, I see it in much the same way has when the Bills got rid of Sammy Watkins.  Top shelf talent, but not quite consistent with the direction the team was going.

In the Sabres case, the team was built around Jack.  That wasn't Jack's fault per se, but it just wasn't working out.  If the Sabres had made the playoffs in 2020 instead of Montreal (it was a case of points percentage versus actual points if I recall correctly), the trajectory may have been altered.  As it was, Jack was with the team for 4 full years, 1 pandemic-shortened year, and 1 injury-shortened year.  Our savior never got the team into the playoffs.  It just wasn't working.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.