• WNY (outside Buffalo)
    • New York State (not WNY)
    • Elsewhere in US
    • Niagara Canada
    • Golden Horseshoe
    • Elsewhere in Ontario
    • Elsewhere Canada
    • International

I've moved around a bit.  Born at Sloppy's Joe's in Cheektowaga, went to college at RPI in Troy, NY, near Albany (where I met my wife).  Early in my career I bounced around a little, living in Los Angeles, Fort Worth, Detroit, then finally settling back in Fort Worth in 1997 and been here ever since.

I've mentioned this before, but when we lived in LA and Ft Worth (the first time) I lost touch with NHL hockey.  The Kings never seemed to grab my attention, and the Stars hadn't moved from Minnesota yet.  I moved to Detroit in 1991 and watched the Wings transform from frustrated also-ran to Stanley Cup Champ.  They won it for the first time in 42 years just before we moved back to Ft Worth.  The Red Wings pulled me back into the NHL and my wife and I became big Wings fans.

When we moved back to Texas we got Center Ice so we could continue to follow the Wings and I reverted back to Sabres fandom.  My wife still prefers the Red Wings.

So... I live in North Texas, grew up a Sabres fan, became a Wings fan, then went back to the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Just outside Vancouver. I grew up in Hamilton Ontario though, which is where I became a Sabres fan. 

Wish I'd known bunomatic when I lived in Nanaimo 7 years ago. I thought I was the only Sabres fan there 🙂

Yeah its not often I see anyone wearing Sabres merch.lol

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Checking Google, most links say that Greater Rochester is still largely considered WNY. Someone living there might know better though.

Geographically, it's still pretty far west and it's still part of Sabres and Bills nation so I've always considered it WNY... Just not Greater Buffalo.

I generally consider myself to be from western NY, as in the portion of the state that is near its western end.  However, the Western NY region officially ends west of Rochester.  We fall in the Finger Lakes region.  There is inconsistency about which people are using - wNY or WNY - so it's hardly set in stone.  For example, try using BC/BS of WNY in Rochester; it will just lead to confusion and errors.

I am currently in Norwich CT. 2 hr from Boston and NYC in South eastern CT. Grew up in Gowanda about a hour south of Buffalo. I want to move back but it would be hard to find a job as good as I have now and the wife does not want to deal with the winter

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Far east coast right on the Atlantic.

My friends call me NS.  I don't have any enemies.

For full disclosure ...

I was born and raised in The Great Satan.  My mom is from Buffalo (Elma to be exact) and I spent a lot of my youth and teens there.  Went to a number of Bills and Sabre games over the years.  My wife is from Montreal and we used to go to a lot of games there (love the old Forum) and travelled from Mississauga to several Sabre games over the years.  Basically a Sabre fan since their birth.

We moved to Pittsburgh for 2 years and we could not have picked a better time ... 1991 and 1992.  Mario shares a birthdate with me ... I am 1 year older.

When we moved back to The Greater Satan Area we decided that it was not us.  Began to explore and found that we loved Nova Scotia.  23+ years ago we moved here and I have never been back.

And here we are  ...

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, carpandean said:

I generally consider myself to be from western NY, as in the portion of the state that is near its western end.  However, the Western NY region officially ends west of Rochester.  We fall in the Finger Lakes region.  There is inconsistency about which people are using - wNY or WNY - so it's hardly set in stone.  For example, try using BC/BS of WNY in Rochester; it will just lead to confusion and errors.

I’m in Rochester, and consider us in WNY. 

🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I grew up near London, Ontario and now live in what they call the Tri-cities area of Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, Ontario.

I've been a fan of the Sabres my whole life.  Although I'm sure NS would be horrified to know that I had a Bobby Orr lunch pail back in my younger years.  #4 was pretty popular when I was young and he was playing for the Bruins.  I think that I liked the Sabres so much because the Leafs and Montreal teams and fans always seemed so arrogant (still do today).

I really appreciate Sabrespace to be able to talk Sabres.

• Like (+1) 3

South Orange County CA.  Originally from North Buffalo. Left in the mid 90s and like Swamp, coming up on exceeding my time in the 716.  My wife has 7 more years until a full pension.  So stuck in the 949 for a few more.  Successfully raising one of my sons as a Sabres fan. Thank God Anaheim and LA are struggling too, otherwise he would be taking so much more shite than he already does.  We are going together with my father (visiting) to the game against the Ducks this Thursday.  The Centre Ice package brought me back about 10 years ago, after watching casually from 96-11.

• Like (+1) 2

Born and raised is Williamsville NY.  Played hockey in the Amherst leagues and then at Nichols.  Went to college at Indiana University and then Emory Law School.  Met a wonderful young lady from Marietta GA and have been here ever since.  Wife and daughters went to UGA and after 30 years of attending games have grown into a pretty big UGA fan, but still love my Hoosiers and Bills.

Used to go to the Sabres/Thrashers games here and have road tripped to Raleigh to see the boys.  Raised two avid Sabres fans.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, The Ghost of NS said:

I’m in Rochester, and consider us in WNY. 

🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I always had too (and still loosely do), but technically it seems that's incorrect.  Like I said, "western New York State" and "Western New York" are two different things.  We certainly are in the western 1/3 (1/4?) of the state, so it's hard to argue with the former as a characterization of where we live.

Edited by carpandean

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.