Sabres hire data scientist: Domenic Galamini Jr

LGR4GM

8 hours ago, Ripper said:

Funny Risto is brought up tonight.  I was listening to the Flyers broadcast of the Bruins game.  They (homers broadcasters) marveled over his physical play and stated  that Risto never learned the proper way to play defense because he played for a lousy team/organization since his career began.  Guess they don't follow analytics lol

Analytics are a measure of the results.  

He played for a lousy team and organization for sure but I doubt it he had poor coaching 100% of the time. Some of this is on Risto and his poor hockey IQ.  Some of it is on his overuse as a Sabre. Some of it is on the habit of losing he and others suffered with. 

The Flyers won 6-3.  Risto probably played well at times in that game. 

Edited by Pimlach

15 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Analytics are a measure of the results.  

He played for a lousy team and organization for sure but I doubt it he had poor coaching 100% of the time. Some of this is on Risto and his poor hockey IQ.  Some of it is on his overuse as a Sabre. Some of it is on the habit of losing he and others suffered with. 

The Flyers won 6-3.  Risto probably played well at times in that game. 

He had 2 shots on goal and 0 points and we know he was on the ice for 2 of 3 goals against. Just because a team overcomes Risto's bad play does not mean he played well. We should all stop defending Ristolainen. He is in his 9th pro year and is about to be 27. Either he knows how to not lose his coverage or make stupid passes to no-where or he doesn't at this point. Obviously he doesn't. He can play well at times but I have seen Hutton get a shutout, doesn't mean he is good. 

To the bolded, analytics is not a measure of results. Results implies that analytics measure some ending event and that isn't really the case. Zone exits, passing, shot assists, shot assists against and stuff like that are not measuring results but parts of the game that add up to results. 

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Against Marchand, Pasta and Bergeron, and would have been even against them but for a bad line change.

But yeah,… numbers.

8 years of bad numbers but sure... yea Risto is secretly good. It's just he isn't good because he was against Bergeron. LOL. I am trying to look at that shot chart and come away with saying "would have been even" what a strange take. 

The lol is in caps because it is hilarious that anyone would defend risto at this point. He's a mediocre defender. 

Edited by LGR4GM

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Against Marchand, Pasta and Bergeron, and would have been even against them but for a bad line change.

But yeah,… numbers.

Coaches evidently have come to the conclusion that, though Risto does poorly against the good players, the other players on their roster would do even worse. Can't think of what else it could be. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

8 years of bad numbers but sure... yea Risto is secretly good. It's just he isn't good because he was against Bergeron. LOL. 

The lol is in caps because it is hilarious that anyone would defend risto at this point. He's a mediocre defender. 

Mediocre NHL defender would be fair, I think. As long as the "NHL" qualifier is included. 

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Coaches evidently have come to the conclusion that, though Risto does poorly against the good players, the other players on their roster would do even worse. Can't think of what else it could be. 

Mediocre NHL defender would be fair, I think. As long as the "NHL" qualifier is included. 

He's a #4 defender on an NHL team. You need a defensive partner for him to cover for his mistakes and brain farts. His hockey IQ is below average even if all his other traits are above average. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yep. Certainly not the worst out there.

I still think he stole LGR’s girlfriend.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

8 years of bad numbers but sure... yea Risto is secretly good. It's just he isn't good because he was against Bergeron. LOL. I am trying to look at that shot chart and come away with saying "would have been even" what a strange take. 

Did you even watch the game?

I did.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I have watched 8 years of his games. Are you arguing he is a good defender? 

You said the “would have been even” was a weird take.

If you watched the game you would have known that he was at the end of his shift and trying to get to the bench, but his replacement didn’t see him because there was a ref in the way, so he had to stay on in a futile effort while Marchand blew past him and scored a breakaway goal.

Im arguing that he is not a bad defender.

28 minutes ago, SwampD said:

You said the “would have been even” was a weird take.

If you watched the game you would have known that he was at the end of his shift and trying to get to the bench, but his replacement didn’t see him because there was a ref in the way, so he had to stay on in a futile effort while Marchand blew past him and scored a breakaway goal.

Im arguing that he is not a bad defender.

He's a mediocre defender and has been for his career. 

22 minutes ago, SwampD said:

You and everyone else. Teams need those too and not sure we have one right now.

lol, we don't need risto. a 4th defender on a mediocre team isn't helping us much. And we easily have better defenders coming than Risto and his low IQ brand of flinging the puck up the boards and losing his position in the defensive zone. 

We get you it. You like Risto. He isn't that good and I am glad I don't have to watch his nightly mistakes. 

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Do you think this hire will help us move on from the JAGs sooner?  Seriously, what do Cagguila, Bjork, or  Hayden actually bring to this team?

Culture and time for more talented players to develop at minimal cap commitment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.